Holmwood House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bcity centreholgate bridgetop floorcar parkfree parkingnice guesthousekippersfull englishpower showeron arrivalbreakfast was excellentbus stopstayed for nightswould stay againlovely roomcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Two couples from Australia stayed two nights. The rooms , although somewhat tired, were larger than many in our travels, but for that we had to climb 3 sets of stairs + another lot from the basement entrance from the car park. Quite an effort. The car park was tint with workmen with a large skip meant we parked at the sister Hotel next door which was not a problem as our time was spent around the city where we were able to walk . Jacqui, the owner was most obliging, particularly as we needed some important papers printed out which was free of charge. breakfast was the usual English big serves, but they even had VEGEMITE available for the Aussies.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank deanbO1363QG
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a 3 night break here to see York not having visited for a number of years. We were under the impression that Holmwood House was nearer to the City Centre than indicated - it took us 25 minutes to walk to the Minster at a decent pace. The accommodation whilst very clean needs updating and the towels had seen better days. Breakfast was excellent but I must agree with previous comments that there is a lack of visible staff present during the day. The car park is very small and whilst we were staying a skip was parked in one place and at times two large vans - we resorted to parking on the main road outside the hotel. Would stay nearer to the City Centre next time.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on August bank holiday weekend 2013 and booked the four poster room in room 5 for £245, we booked on line after searching for 4 star hotels and from the pictures it looked great, " WRONG!!! we arrived on a very rainy evening and upon entering the premises found that there was no one there to greet us, just a message on the desk to ring no 11 on the phone and someone would come, tried this but got no response, tried ringing the sister B and B two doors down as suggested again no answer, so ran up the road in the pouring rain to the other B and B to find the door locked, so ran back to my husband waiting in the car and rang Holmwood house from my mobile, finally got a reply and told to go to reception and she would be there, this took ten minutes of running about to get booked in. We were told to park our car around the back of the premises, well that was a joke there are 7 small parking spaces for a 14 roomed B/B, there was one space left and as we have a range rover we had to squeeze it in between two cars,the car spaces are more suited to smart cars to be able to get in and out without damaging your car. The young lady on reception was very nice and apologised for the delay in booking in and gave us our key and a leaflet of the area. We climbed the very worn carpeted stairs to our room and upon entering what a let down it was, in the photo the four poster room looked huge, yes it was a big bed but unfortunately it was crammed into a small very dated room, worn carpets, dated decor, secondary glazed windows that you daren't slide fully back as one pane nearly came of its runner, the windows couldn't be opened at all, so with it being hot you could only put on the noisy air con, there were two dated bedside tables beside the bed, the dressing table tucked away in a recess near the bed had the kettle plugged into it with an extension lead underneath for the hair drier to plug in, there was a small tv on a table to the side of the bed again with extension leads underneath for the tv and air con to plug into, it made watching tv in bed a nightmare as my husband couldn't see past me if we laid down to watch tv, if you wanted to watch it you had to sit upright with your head turned to the left!! I went into the en- suite bathroom, the door really needed some oil on the hinges as it squeaked really loudly, the bathroom was carpeted and stained, not hygienic at all, tiles should be used in a bathroom, the bath had mould round it and the water from the shower was difficult to get to a pleasant temperature, it was either too hot or too cold, the towels were thread bare and had holes in them, not 4 star standard at all, and the toilet roll was really cheap economy paper. We went down for breakfast in the morning to a very pleasant dining room, and was served by a lovely waitress. We ordered the English breakfast which didn't take long to come, I was just about to tuck in when I saw a long black hair in my bacon, and as I'm blonde and my husband is bald I knew it wasn't mine, so I told the waitress who apologised and took it back, to return a few minutes later saying they had replaced the bacon! Not the whole breakfast, so by now the rest of the breakfast was Luke warm! Very disappointed as being a 4 star you would think they would replace the whole breakfast. The breakfast on the second morning was a lot better and hot! I can't fault the staff, but this is not a 4 star B and B not by a long run, the location is good and York is beautiful, but the little touches like decent towels, toilet rolls and decor ( it really is very dated) and for what they charge for the rooms they should plough it back into making it worth the money you pay, I would not have paid more than £60 a night at a push if I had seen the rooms and parking first. If you want four star quality do not stay here, it really is not worth the money or the four star status!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank tysonrotty
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Within easy walking distance of the city centre you don't need a car when you are there so can leave it safely in the small car park at the rear of the hotel.

Our room was on the 1st floor at the back of the hotel, very quiet and comfortable. Linen and bathroom were spotless although we did have a bit of trouble with the showerhead which is really too powerful for a claw bath and if you are not careful you can flood the floor and the bedroom carpet. Breakfast is served from 8.30 to 9.30. There is a good choice of food and it is well cooked and presented.

The owners and other staff we saw were friendly and helpful. There is a lounge that guests can use with lots of information about what to see during your time in York

1  Thank budcat
Reviewed September 9, 2013

HAd a very comfortable two nights in York. Don't be put off by little bits of wear and tear, the room is certainly a cut above the average B&B and Jeanette and the staff were completely charming and couldn't have been more helpful. sweet little decked garden and only 15 mins walk from the Micklegaate and the city. The best Breakfast I have ever had in a B7B or a posh hotel...perfect poached eggs, deliscious ! and they didnt make the mistake made by many...no baked beans ...yippee....I didn't even have to ask for them not to be included.

We'll be back