Holmwood House
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bcity centreholgate bridgetop floorcar parkfree parkingnice guesthousekippersfull englishpower showeron arrivalbreakfast was excellentbus stopstayed for nightswould stay againlovely roomcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just back from a four day stay at this B&B. Lots of positive things like being close to railway & town. Very good breakfasts and friendly hosts. However, our room, No.10, was at the front of the building facing the very busy road. The windows did have secondary glazing but as this was one of the hottest weeks of the year we needed to have the windows open at night to be able to sleep. The room did have air-con but it was too noisy to keep it on at night. The decor was a little tired and my bed had a very pronounced squeak everytime I turned over. Another problem (and this occurs in nearly every B&B I have stayed in) is that the dressing table was placed in the worst possible place to be of use i.e as far away from the window as you could get so not much use for "putting your face on". Also my husband had a terrible problem trying not to flood the bathroom each morning when using the shower. Yes it had wonderful power to it, but the shower screen attached to the bath was rather inadequate. As I have said only small things but when added up I think make the 4 stars a bit o.t.t.
Carol & Ray B

Room Tip: If visiting in hot weather ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband booked this hotel for a weekend with friends and we were not disappointed. The location is great, the walk to the city centre of York was only 10 - 15 minutes, there is also parking at the rear of the hotel and in the sleepy side streets.

Our room was on the first floor and over looked the rear of the property so it was extremely quiet and was extremely comfortable.

Breakfast time was a little busy but we were offered tea/coffee whilst we waited enjoying the sunny weather in the rear garden listening to the birds. We were only kept waiting long enough to enjoy our tea and were then called into breakfast, the service was excellent the staff all very young but extremely efficient and the breakfast was delicious. My friend and I had the fresh fruit which was presented beautifully and was really refreshing.

The owners and their family are a delight and give a real personal service. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room at the rear, they may be a little more expensive but worth it
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed for one night with group of five in this beautiful, historic home. Great value for money, clean and comfortable rooms, and great breakfast. Would definitely stay again. Situated very central to the beautiful, historic York.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Booked here at one of their "special rates" via an online hotel booking website, so got a great deal on the room. My room was on the second floor, room 9. Check-in was smooth and easy. The lady at reception was exceptional helpful, polite and easy to talk to. I paid for my room and disappeared upstairs.

It's a very small staircase and not the easiest to navigate around it you have large luggage I would guess. However, 2 mins later and I was comfortably in my room. A large king sized bed, plenty of pillows, a nice duvet and a freeview tv. Large windows, double glazed looked out on the street. I have read reports of noise from outside, but I had my window open all night and slept quite well. I'm not a particularly heavy sleeper either.

Tea and coffee, along with a teapot (hurrah!) in the room, with a couple of nice biscuits to accompany. The bathroom was of a good, large and clean standard. The actual shower cubicle was compact, but a delightful power shower awaited, with good temperature and excellent pressure.

Smooth checkout in the morning and I was on my way.

Slightly scored down by the slowly dated bathroom and size of the shower cubicle in relation to he size of the bathroom and also the very small car park in the rear of the property (very easy to be blocked in). But great staff, good amenities in the room and a good nights sleep. What more could I possibly have asked for, for my £50? I will definitely stay here again should the trip require it.

Room Tip: No lift and a narrow staircase, so if you've got lots of luggage or have an aversion to stairs, get a room on either the ground or first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We loved this place and would stay again! Easy to find, off street parking and only short walk to the train station and the wall of city. We were on the top floor and yes there's quite a few stairs
but we found that charming. Breakfast was really good and all staff were very friendly and helpful. Thank you Jacqui for helping with the arrival and despatch of our boxes for shipping, it was most appreciated.

Room Tip: Top floors have great views, lower floors less stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple