“A vey good B&B” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holmwood House
Ranked #72 of 205 York B&B and Inns
“A vey good B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We arrived way too late.... due to trouble on the trains. The hosts were extremly friendly and easy about it even thought they probably would have wanted to got to bed several hours ago.

It was a beautiful room, morning sun through the window (I know... that might not ave anything to do with the B&B, but it contributed to the overall stay), very spacious room and bathroom, clean, tidy and fresh.

The bed was comfortable and the fresh, crisp bedlinen was good too. Enough pillows.

All in all a great room.

Thank you - I would come back next time we're in York.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Very comfortable B&B, and staff helpful and full of information. Rooms were clean and well equipped. Excellent location. Quite garden for sitting and getting one's breath back. I would definitely stay there again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Whitley Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had booked into the Holgate Hotel but on arrival were told we had been allocated a room in the next door hotel - Holmwood House. We were in room 11 at the very top of the hotel but the view was worth the climb up the stairs. The room had everything you needed - nice big bathroom. Staff were friendly and very helpful - providing maps, directions and recommendations. Breakfast was nice and set us up for the day. Nice free secure car park at the back of the building so could leave the car and not worry about it until we left. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 11 although a climb up the stairs, the views are worth it.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Dirty room, dirty bathroom with poor quality fittings. The toilet handle was loose and there were cracks in the floor tiles. Dust all over the bedroom! The place seemed to be manned by two teenage girls who although very pleasant were not very interested in the guests comfort. The only good thing about it was the breakfast. Very expensive for a poor quality B & B.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was a big fan of this accommodation and I would certainly stay again. It was the end of a five week 7 country trip so I was EXHAUSTED. When you pull up, it’s nothing too fancy…when you lug yourself up three flights, it’s nothing fancy. But I opened that door and the room was huge. Tea set on the table (of course) and a breeze flow in the window. Good size bathroom and a closet that fit all my clothes. I stayed here three nights for business (and solo) and I was a big fan. There is parking out back which was great as I felt my car was very secure. There is a cute cat in the back that likes some attention…adorable! I had a great sleep and I found it quite close to what I needed. I walked to the train station to catch a train to Durham so that was great that I could leave my car. The breakfast was very typically English so nothing fancy but I love English breakfasts so I could go on and on about them. If you stay here, hopefully you’ll have a good experience as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having paid slightly more than I would do for a stay at this kind of property, i was expecting something slightly better than usual. I preface this review by saying I could have said and done something at the time but didn't so maybe this is a bit hit and run but it is totally honest. Very friendly reception and all that but then shouldn't it be when you are parting with your hard earned cash? To say the room failed to meet even our basic expectations is an understatement, it was a very tired room, just about bog standard would be the kindest way to describe it. Stained carpet, socket points that didn't work (couldn't actually put the plug in), coat hook hanging out of the door by the last piece of the rawl plug that had once kept it in, 4 coat hangers in the wardrobe for two adults staying for two nights, light fitting thick with dust but the biggest insult was the bathroom which had no toilet roll holder fitted (toilet rolls stacked up by the toilet), no towel rail (there had been one but had clearly broken off the wall) which meant there was nowhere to hang towels other than over the dusty radiator, a shower that consisted of the most basic plumbing known to man (basically a hose attached to the taps) which was slotted into a holder that was knackered which resulted in us hosing ourselves down by hand. The shaver light over the mirror didn't work and the extractor fan sounded like a 1920s Russian tractor and was completely ineffectual anyway. The grouting round the corner bath was mouldy in parts and when I see the pictures purporting to be the en-suites in the other rooms the what we had (Room 2 by the way) was an absolute insult for the money we paid. In fact the complete lack of effort put into this room for paying guests is an insult to anyone who is unfortunate enough to be placed in there. Breakfast was fine but nothing special but full marks to the lovely young woman who worked hard in there waiting on. I have stayed in far, far nicer accommodation of this sort in much nicer locations in Yorkshire for considerably or slightly less. I inadvertently left some property in the room and rang the day after to ask if it had been recovered to met with a "we'll have a look when we get round to it" type of response. I know it gets rave reviews elsewhere but I cannot, based on our experience, recommend it in any way. The location is its saving grace but that should not lead to complacency of this nature. Not worth anywhere near the £180 I paid for two nights.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I travel a lot on both business and pleasure and had reason to stay in York for eight nights from 20th April. I was researching in York's National Railway Museum (by day) and sampling the nightlife (in the evenings). York is an excellent city for both; the NRM is the most comprehensive railway museum in the world. I found the Holmwood House on the internet simply by seeking somewhere convenient to the city centre areas which I wanted to visit in the evenings, and the NRM, and where the prices were reasonable.

On arrival, I was greeted by friendly staff (who had also been helpful when booking over the phone). The room was clean and tidy and perfectly adequate for my needs. I found the place to be well run and very friendly. It is an old house with lots of character. The staff were superb; nothing was too much trouble and the breakfasts were top class. Serving staff were extremely attentive and went out of their way to be welcoming and to give advice about their city and surrounds. Not that one might need a lot of advice: the foyer, the living room in the house, and the bedrooms all have comprehensive guides to York, and brochures for just about everything that could justify printing a brochure!

The lady who owns it, Jackie, and her colleague Jeanette, I would single out as fantastic hosts - though my overall impression of Holmwood House was one of the friendliest B & B's I've stayed in ever - and that's saying something: I have travelled to 44 countries over some 40 years.

So: no hesitation in a 5 star recommendation. In terms of York itself, it is a lovely city full of history, well preserved ancient buildings (especially York Minster and the city walls) and the people are extremely friendly (apart from one single character in one single bar on my last night!). I would very strongly recommend this B & B, and the city.

Room Tip: If you are mobility-impaired, you would have to be able to manage stairs, as it is an old house and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business