“Imaginative and original”

Ranked #108 of 916 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At Filmore and Union we have a huge passion for fresh, vibrant and healthy foods. Energizing breakfasts; inspirational lunches; wholesome suppers all made daily within our cool relaxed setting. F or dinner join us in our upstairs restaurant and maybe try the seared salmon with chilli, lime paprika, lemongrass and ginger on a bed of harissa potatoes and lentils all made with love and care from our open kitchen. Reservations advised. All day fabulous Sunday brunch, kids menu, fully licenced & Wi-Fi. The street level Deli offers bagels, salads, delicious juices, hearty soups & pastas as well as healthy cakes (even our chocolate brownies!)
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is original, modern, fresh and tasty food at it's very best. The kitchens are led by someone who cares as much about colour and presentation as they do about taste and balance. The menu is cleverly varied e.g baked fish or bacon and potato cakes, and dishes are served with imaginative and delicious salads. It's a grown up place and probably not for fastidious small children. Charming for lunch but perhaps too cramped for a supper. Space is the only criticism but perhaps because it is small it is beautiful. A real find among the panoply of predictable fare served up by chain style restaurants.

1  Thank y0ungs4

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime and were lucky to get a table! This is a popular place and it is no surprise. There may not be an unlimited choice on the Cafe menu, but the food and ingredients are first class. A choice of bagel bread and filling options; fish, meat or veggie. The restaurant has more choice and though a little cramped provides a great atmosphere. Decorated in a modern, tasteful way, Filmore and Union provides a relaxing environment to enjoy fresh, healthy salads, soups and bagels. If you can't get a seat, they also provide take out (with lower prices to suit!). Staff are courteous, efficient and attentive. We will be visiting again.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Was looking for a reasonably speedy lunch during a shopping trip with my teenage daughters and this fitted the bill perfectly. Food was well presented with interesting and tasty flavour combinations. I loved the aubergine with pomegranate and my youngest daughter, who can be fussy, really enjoyed the parsnip and bacon cakes. I found my portion quite large and we were too full for dessert but we did buy some wonderful looking chocolate brownies from the take-away section downstairs to eat later. The service was extremely friendly and relaxed despite being very busy and we loved the whole look and ambiance of the restaurant. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Visited for breakfast. Soon as we went in we were asked if we were wanting breakfast. I said we were looking for pancakes and she told us they did them as well as different bagels etc and lots of other stuff. We were seated upstairs which has a different menu it seems. No pancakes, no bagels. Very, very limited choice. Not much I fancied (and I am in no way a fussy eater, in fact there are few things I won't eat!) opted for porridge. Was slightly under done, small portion and only just warm. Served with fruit compote which was cold so soon cooled down the porridge. Given the price was fully expecting some luxury creamy porridge slowed done in a pan not microwaved. Hideously over priced. £4.95 for porridge? Goldilocks would not be impressed! Other options were poached egg on toast - nearly £10. Tea was £2.40 for one and quarter tea cups (tiny teapot!! no hot water refill!The cakes looks lovely but daren't ask how much they were!! I love the idea that they offer healthy choices but sadly the prices are ridiculous. Shame as it's lovely inside and the staff are pleasant. Would not go back. Sorry.

2  Thank WEwant2seethewoLD
477Wil, General Manager at Filmore and Union York, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

I am sorry you had such a disappointing experience. I did just want to say however that we don't use microwaves, in fact we don't even have a microwave in the York kitchen. I am sorry your poridge wasn't perfect, I am sure if you had alerted a member of our team we would have been happy to rectify this.
I would also like to point out that our tea may seem expensive but the tea we use is a luxury ethical tea company and actually our tea is not that much higher than our surrounding competitors.
I appreciate your querying our poached eggs for £9.95 but I must point out we reach that price because it is not merely poached eggs on toast... The bread is home made, the homous is home made, the pesto is home made, and using such pure ingredients puts our dishes in a higher price bracket. A price bracket we feel they deserve given we make everything ourselves using the best ingredients.

We have taken your comments on board regarding your feeling we have a limited breakfast menu, and value all feedback.

Nicola
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 16, 2012

With so many options for dinner in York, we were feeling a little overwhelmed by the choices. We were beckoned in by a friendly face in the downstairs cafe, and discovered the beautiful dining room when we climbed the stairs. But the best surprise was the food, which was a fresh and innovative alternative to all the pub grub we had been eating while on vacation.

477Wil, Manager at Filmore and Union York, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's greatly appreciated. I am glad you had a positive expereince, and hope you visit us again soon.