“Lovely we had our own penthouse”

and 1 more site!
Holmlea Guest House
Ranked #74 of 193 York B&B and Inns
west yorkshire
“Lovely we had our own penthouse”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had a lovely time in York staying at holmlea, we had the whole top floor to ourselves my husband and my friend it was like having our own penthouse. Peaceful no fuss or hassle breakfast in bed. Suited us perfect, lovely stroll into york centre about 10-15 mins

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed in Room 1, right inside the front door. The owner emailed shortly before our stay, to verify our arrival time and provide instructions to get into the building,. The owner wasn't there when we arrived, but our keys were right where she said they would be, along with some info about the room and city. The decor was quirky and fun. The only drawback was that the carpet was slightly damp near the radiator. We found it to be good value, and a short walk to the center of town!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Decided to stay for two nights, arrived to no greeting just instructions and no approprate towels for a shower. Mattress was hard and so were the pillows but the room was clean and good size, bathroom little small. Woke up at midnight to regulars staggering in, shouting to one another on the landing and arguing with foul language and they didn't go quiet till 3:30am after a blazing row. No owner on site only contactable via mobile so contacted the next morning to go to voicemail and not a returned phone call until after we had to vacate the room. Once the owner was spoken to they advised me that the regulars were being evicted only to find out that they hadn't and got away with "we had more to drink than we thought and we promise to be quiet tonight" so weren't evicted. Overall disappointed that the trouble makers stayed and us being the innocent had to be punished.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Robert W
Sybil1968, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
This event was a completely unacceptable one and as I pointed out to this guest, a rare one. We are a family run bed & breakfast and do not tolerate any rowdy behaviour. We do not take stag and hen parties and I am careful to vet any group bookings. The guest who was responsible for the disturbance had stayed with us three times before and had not caused any previous disturbance. I apologised profusely to this reviewer, refunded 50% of his room rate for the disturbance which he seemed happy with but he was insistent that he wanted to leave.

My first concern when I spoke with this reviewer was to assure them that I would evict the guests if they decided to stay but they chose not to and it was only hours later that they changed their minds. By this time I had talked to the guest responsible for the disturbance and she assured me that there would be no repeat of the previous night's events. I told her that if there was any noise after 10pm then I would have no hesitation in calling the police. She was very clear that her behaviour had caused a great deal of upset and was not tolerated. Had I had any doubt whatsoever that the guests would have caused any more disturbance on the following night then I would have evicted them but I was quite sure it would not happen again. I certainly did not want a house full of disgruntled guests! As I said, the guest in question had stayed on numerous occasions without any problems so I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Regarding comments about the room; the towels are a bath sheet size, the bed is a hotel, industry standard bed (everyone has different mattress requirements, we can't please everyone). As regards the 'arriving to no greeting', I contact all guests to find out an approximate arrival time and if it is at an unsociable hour or I cannot meet them then they always have the digital entry code and are made aware of this at the time of booking and then this is reiterated prior to arrival by e-mail and text. If I am not onsite then I am always at the end of the phone and never very far away.

I am very sorry that his family's weekend away was ruined by the act of another guest and completely understand his anger and frustration. We are a quiet, family centred bed & breakfast and if you read other reviews then one of the main comments is that we are 'quiet', Holmlea is quiet and this was a very rare and unforgivable event. I will be putting up signs in all rooms after this event to alert guests to the fact that if they are arriving back late to the house then to please be considerate of other guests.
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We had room 1 ground floor nice clean room with a querky feel. Location is great for walking to city centre and free parking made the visit easier. Breakfast was good start to the day. Ensuite clean but shower not great. Biggest problem was a very rude guest who arrived at 1am banging and ringing door bell veryclpud as could not gain entry. In circumstances like this a clear phone number that is guaranteed to be answered may have diverted this but to be fair when I complained I did get verbal appology but was a little dismayed to be told some staff had ignored her call as it was so late. On the whole nice b&b excellent location. Would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Carol M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This little B & B was perfect for our 2 night stay in York! It is in a nice location on a quiet street, only about 20 minutes walk to the city center. The room was very clean and decorated very pleasantly. We were served breakfast in our room each morning at the time of our choice, including juice, toast, yogurt, and fruit. A Sainsbury's is only about a 4 minute walk away, the hop-on-hop-off bus tour stops about 5 minutes walk, and the train station is within 25 minutes walk. The staff was very friendly, and I would stay here again on my next visit to York!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for 3 nights, the staff were very friendly and the complimentary breakfast is a wonderful healthy start to the day!

Upon arrival we found our key and literature for our stay and found our room (with a little help from the housekeeper) The room was lovely and fresh with very snazzy wallpaper! However it may have been a bit small if we were staying for a week. But for 3 days it was more than adequate... Unfortunately no en suite bathroom so we were able to use the private bathroom, just down the corridor, which was very clean, the shower excellent!

All in all, a very good stay! Well done Holmlea :-)

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham P
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 days and found the room welcoming and lovely. Unfortunately the owner could not be there to greet us but did apologise. The breakfast is not what you could call diverse but it was plentiful to get a guest going for the day. Fresh towels were given daily and also the bed made and room cleaned.

However, due to being in a downstairs room it appeared that every member of staff would have a conversation outside the door or at full volume from the kitchen which meant that you could not sleep much further than 8am. Also we were not alerted before staying that there would be builders renovating the other rooms during our stay, this also made for there being a lot of noise in the mornings, if we had received prior acknowledgement in our booking email we would have known what to expect and not been rudely awaken. The bathroom was not the largest, especially as we are both quite tall but it was clean. The shower was confusing to work and lacked any water pressure and felt a bit more like a gentle dribble of warm water to wash in.

The location was great and only a 10 minute walk to the town, there are plenty of restaurants close by to eat at and pleasant walk to the city centre.

Overall we had a nice stay but would have liked have been greeted by the owner, just remember to bring your own toiletries as there is only the minimum provided.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple