“Not the best....but good staff”

Travelodge York Central Micklegate
Ranked #40 of 46 Hotels in York
London, United Kingdom
“Not the best....but good staff”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

It's lookign a bit tired, even for a budget hotel. They advertise king beds, but there is no way my other half and I could share the tiny bed - 137cm is not a king. But, when the problem was raised it was dealt with very well and we got a twin room instead, not ideal, but it did mean we could sleep. Cleanliness is passable, but only just. I see from review's it' had a facelift recently, but you can't really see that when you are there.......it's just ok.

Also, tons of noise from outside at night from revellers - be prepared....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

On Monday 12th Aug i went to reception to ask if my air con could be got to work.
The young lady was serving in a crowded bar adjacent to the reception.
Eventually ,after myself and other people had waited a while, she managed to come into reception.
I asked if she was alone and She replied yes. I was a little incredulous and asked Her if there was any other staff in the hotel , the girl then told me 'no, this is normal in travelodges'
I was disgusted to think that would be allowed,what if a fire broke out,? what if a fight broke out,? what if a disabled person had a problem ?
It beggars belief that a company could be so cynical as to put guests in such a situation. !!

Noel Fennell

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Myself and my son stayed here for just one night, i thought i'd booked a family room but in fact i'd booked a double room, i enquired to the receptionist, who was so friendly and helpful without hesitation called a housekeeper to bring up a Z bed, within 2 mins the bed was at our door!. The room was incredibly clean and fresh, and the breakfast buffet was just what we needed. Many thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor if you want a quiet night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Nicola W
Stratford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Myself and my friends stayed in the hotel for 4 days and while the hotel was okay it wasn't overtly brilliant, there was more downsides than ups.

The bathroom was just horrible! The sink Tao was put too far behind the actual sink, so washing your hands was a trial, and to wash your hands properly you had to turn the tap on full blast covering yourself and the bathroom in water. The bin was just disgusting, hadn't been cleaned-only the bag replaced. The shower/wet room, while a great idea was bad in practice. I didn't notice this until my last day in the room but the top of the headboard over the double bed was covered in dust! Which would explain why I woke up every day while I was there sneezing and with a blocked nose.

We went during the hottest weekend in York, and there was three of us in the room.. During the nights we nearly boiled! They refused to let us turn down the air con in our room further than 19, and when we asked why "health and safety" was their reply.... Which we kinda bought until we got into the meeting room we had booked months in advance, where we could take the air con to around 16 without it stopping.

Now, the meeting room. Which was the worst thing about our trip and actually put a damper on it. Once again we had booked the room well in advance, and specifically asked for meeting room 2, they gave us meeting room 1.

When we came down in the morning to set stuff up, they didn't even remember we had actually booked a room and a projector (which we paid extra for), after a quick mention of meeting room 1, they said it wasn't possible and this was the only room ready and available and we couldn't have another one.

So we got over it and carried on, we started to set up, when I realised I was getting dripped on! The ceiling was leaking and the tile was bowed like it was gonna break any second, we pointed this out and they had already gotten someone out but there was nothing they could do bar give us a bucket to collect water and move the chairs so it could stop the people we had in the room with us going underneath it.

After many delays we set up the room and started putting the projector on, which was task on its own! It was old, the cables didnt work unless we out them at a certain angle and then stuck them down. The sound cable? Ha! Try tin can more like, we didn't even get the cable until we asked for it, and even then it was too old to actually work, so the woman I was working with ended up having to run out to the pound store in the middle of the York run, delaying us further, to get said cable on a Sunday. After that it was smooth sailing... Unless you don't count the front of the door handle breaking off regularly.

Was not impressed on a whole and we ended up getting half of our money back because of it.

And last but not least, Now if you look on their website the refreshing of the hotel would have been finished on July 15th.. It was still going on when we turned up on the 1st of August and when we left on the 5th, it was still going on.

Room Tip: Double check anything you book with them and be highly specific.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmyLawrence23
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with my wife and our 8 month old baby. First thing we noticed was the awfully strong smell throughout the whole passageway on the first floor. It smelt exactly like tom cat pee! It never went away!

In the room was an air conditioning unit. Much needed we thought as it was so hot during our stay. But it wasn't working at all. I flipped the lid and seen the large filter was totally full and blocked with dust! Removing this didn't fix the problem and I complained. I was given a plug in fan.

Normal procedure would be to clean a room each day but alas, this never happened. The room was never hoovered once whilst we were there. A plate full of bread crumbs etc was accidently dropped onto the floor on the first day but it was never cleaned by the staff. Towels were changed but sometimes they didn't leave enough of them. Bins were emptied but they also took a full bag of our goodies, crisps, chocolates, etc. The sink leaked and would leave a pool of water underneath on the floor everytime we used the tap. It also stank bad. The pipes clearly need a good cleaning.

We were roomed directly opposite a nightclub. Noisy! We couldn't close the window as it was so hot.

We stayed here because the price was reasonable but we shall not be staying here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Glyn R
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed here for four nights from 1st to 5th of August 2013 with two friends. It was probably the hottest weekend ever in York and the aircon was only just adequate. It was tight having the pullout bed out but we managed. Housekeeping really needs to get its act together. I complained twice that the plughole in the sink was full of gunge but it was not cleaned during our stay. The wooden panel behind the bed was very dusty and the lid of the bin in the bathroom had not been cleaned for a while. The tap barely made it over the sink so washing your hands was difficult and if you failed to turn the tap off properly the drip missed the sink and you ended up with a puddle on the floor. The walk in shower, while a good idea, also causes the floor to flood. We had hired a meeting room back in February and had checked that the correct leads were available but they took a long time to find the leads and then they did not fit so we had a lot of problems finding some on a Sunday morning. We were a private group but had we been a business it would nopt have made a good impression on our clients. The coffee machine which was in the area between the meeting rooms was broken.
Despite this we had a good stay. The beds were comfortable but I don't know if they were the new ones which were being put in while we were there as part of a refresh which was going on. We only had breakfast in the hotel on our last morning and it was pretty good although I asked for a warm croissant and they must have heated it in the microwave because it was soggy. They were very busy and had trouble keeping up with the provision of clean glasses. The hotel was within easy reach of all the attractions. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pauline J
Skala Kallonis, Greece
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'm not sure if I stayed in the same hotel as the other reviewers of TA, or if I got an unrefurbished wing at this hotel, but it was the worst Travelodge out of the 8 we stayed in on our 3 week trip around the UK, and I'm glad that I'd only booked one night here.
Firstly, I'd like to say that I faxed the hotel of our room preference, that is, a quiet family room-sofa ready made, with a Minster view...When we got to the hotel, the guy at reception said he'd received no fax, and asked where I'd heard about this but this hotel having minster views, making me feel foolish, and that the Minster was been refurbished anyway with scaffolding all over (as if we weren't going to visit it and see there was only some on one of its roofs...) Anyway, he changed my room saying he'd put us in a quieter one- rm 234, we literally had to walk about a km and open/close 6 doors to get to the room from the lifts, the door's lock was half hanging out and it took us about 15minutes of putting the keycard in/out-as there was no way we'd go back down the long corridor back to reception. As soon as we stepped into the room, there was a feeling of it not having been used in a long long time, everything was old/worn, there was a lot of dust everywhere, the sofa-bed unmade, not to mention no bed linen to make the bed, only 2 towels, 2 cups-1 of them chipped, and so we had to go all the way back and ask for the extra bed to be made etc (when we got back to hotel again, there was extra linen thrown on the sofa and we made it up ourselves-this never happened at any of the other travelodges we stayed in before or after this one!) And if I leaned over I could actually see some of the Minster, and saw that the other rooms were actually facing it...I don't even want to think about the bathroom, I'll just say that during our 20 day trip, this was the only time my youngest teenage daughter was so repulsed that she didn't even shower, & went to bed with her clothes on! On the surface it looked good, but if you really looked you could see the mould everywhere, and the shower had no door, water just sprayed out everywhere, bathroom door disgustingly dirty; really thin pillows, air-conditioning units outside window making noise and blowing hot air inside, made room even hotter than it already was, asked for hairdryer and it was broken and didn't work!
The girl at reception the next morning was a lot friendlier/more helpful, she even called our following travelodge in Edinburgh to tell them of our room preferences (since nobody got the faxes i'd sent from home) The 2 points are for her!
This travelodge is a 10min walk from the train station, there's a small supermarket on the corner, and a Tesco just over the bridge, the Shambles is a 10min walk over the bridge; All in all, our room was much smaller than at other travelodges, very run down and shabby, and needs a complete overhaul- the room here actually cost us more than at the other tvldges we went to!

Room Tip: stay away from room 234
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family