“Excellent value for money”

Chelmsford Place Guest House
Ranked #23 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Chelmsford and really enjoyed our stay. We were given a warm welcome by Steve when we arrived, who showed us where to park (right outside) and gave us a parking permit so you can leave your car as long as you want. You won't need if all you are going to do is visit York as it's just a pleasant 10 minute walk by the river into town. Steve then asked what our plans were and gave us maps and guidance for our sightseeing.
The room we had was actually for 3 so a decent size, with ensuite shower/toilet and a sink in the room. Breakfast was lovely - we didn't have the full works but they are happy to provide what you want. I opted for boiled eggs on a couple of occasions and got two perfectly cooked eggs complete with ready cut 'soldiers'! The girls that help Steve are lovely - polite and friendly.
Only down point I can think of is that the bed, although queensize, was two singles joined together and there was a curious ridge down the middle. The pillows were a bit hard too. But I know they have not long taken over the place and there are plans to upgrade decor/beds etc. It certainly didn't stop us having a good night sleep!
All in all a lovely B&B - clean, comfortable and friendly - and we would happily recommend it to friends and hopefully be back soon ourselves some day.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back which was nice and quiet - not sure what you would hear, if anything, from...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NorthYorkshireSmudge, Owner at Chelmsford Place Guest House, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi Heather & Family,

Thank you for your review and kind words, we are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed York, we do hope to see you all again in the future.

Take Care

Janine & Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Durham, UK
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stay in York regularly, and this is the nicest B&B I've found for the price. Clean, decent sized room, clean bathroom with a decent shower (a regular complaint of mine when staying elsewhere in York is the water pressure in the shower), and parking available. I'll be staying again!

Room Tip: Room only rate available as well as B&B
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kate_in_durham
NorthYorkshireSmudge, Owner at Chelmsford Place Guest House, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Hi Kate,

So pleased you had an enjoyable stay here, we certainly look forward to seeing you again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

A superb guest house. Terrific location and a ten minute walk along the clean riverbank path or along the road into the centre. The service was excellent and the place was sooooooo clean. Nice breakfast. Superb value for money. The owners came out to my car to provide a parking permit and directed me to their reserved spaces then 10 minutes later knocked on our bedroom door to alert me to the fact I had left a light on in the car - a very personal experience provided by the owners and all the staff. Will definitely look to repeat although I noticed their were no vacancies so might need to book early to secure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adrian p
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to meet both yourself and your wife, and we are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay here at Chelmsford Place. We really look forward to meeting you again. Take Care

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the delightful Chelmsford .We were made so welcome. It was so comfortable and clean. The breakfast was delicious and plenty of it We would highly recommend this Guest House as the Staff were friendly and nothing was too much for them to do for you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janice A
NorthYorkshireSmudge, Owner at Chelmsford Place Guest House, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi Janice Thank you for your review and kind words, it was lovely to meet you and I hope you had a great stay here in York.

Many thanks

Steve & Janine
MILTON KEYNES
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is an excellent place to stay and I would certainly stay here again if I return to York. It is 10 mins walk from the City Centre and the new owners were friendly and helpful.
I was on my own but had a double bed with a spare pillow in the cupboard - a nice touch and great for me as I like 3 pillows! The room was small but had everything I needed, small wardrobe, tea and coffee making facilities, multi-channel freeview TV and a comfortable bed. My room was at the back so was nice and quiet.
The bathroom was adequate and mine had both a bath and a very nice shower (in the bath). The breakfast was excellent.
OK the decor is a bit dated - no doubt this is on the "to do" list of the new owners. But it was clean and everything worked. I spent my second night in York at the Park Inn and the bed and bedding at Chelsford Place was far better.

Room Tip: My room at the back was nice and quiet which is important to me.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Chris50259
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the compliments, the room you had was room 6, which is a lovely room to the rear. Your quite right, decoration is next on the to do list, its now a case of having the rooms available to start.

Take care, hope to see you again soon.

Fleetwood
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Got a last minute booking at this lovely guest house in York. Was apprehensive due to previous reviews but the new owners Steve and Janine have certainly turned the place round. Had a great time, breakfast was sumptious and plenty of it!!! Will definitely be going again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DeeBeeFleetwood
Thank you for your response, Its nice to have some good feed back, we are working hard and loving every minute. I know you liked the new bedding, it brightens the rooms up, decorating next!! lol
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Went to York for a long weekend, and stayed at this charming guest house "Chelmsford place".
We had a fantastic break, the guest house offered super accomadation, fantastic breakfast, great location, and above all the hospitality from the owners Steve & Janine was just superb.
I would highly recommend a stay here if visiting the the beautiful city of York.

Steve & Ann
(Birmingham)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve Avfc J
So pleased you had a lovely stay here with us, York is a wonderful place to visit, hope Steve's directions got you to where you wanted lol.

Hope to see you again in the future