“Perfect”

Avondale Guest House
Ranked #46 of 192 York B&B and Inns
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Second time here and I love it. Carole and Wendy cannot do enough for you. It's like a home away from home. I was even stupid enough to lock myself out late at night and had to wake Carole up and it was not a problem at all.

The breakfast is great. The location is good too. It's not perfectly central but the centre of town is a 5 minute walk away and there are 2 superb pubs along the way.

Stay here, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I've stayed at this guesthouse a few times now and once again had a really comfortable stay. Carole is a warm, welcoming hostess. The house is lovely and the breakfast menu is really good. I would highly recommend the Avondale to anyone planning a visit to York.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dyserth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in November during the St Nicholas Fayre. There is parking available nearby on a side street which is handy. The guest house itself is lovely and clean. Bedroom was lovely and cosy with a really comfortable bed. We were made to feel very welcome by Carole and her team. The breakfasts were delicious and set us up nicely for the 10 minute stroll into the centre. We hope to stay again soon and would highly recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Hospitality was good,breakfast recommend ,in a fair location,the only thing that marred this weekend was a week later I got a fine from a hidden camera ,I apparently went and drove down
A bus lane with no road markings,it has since been on the northeast news saying that York council are rakeing the money in,around 500 drivers a day,,,,,needless to say york council I will take my money else were in future,,,,so be aware when driving through york lend le bridge or you also will have to fork £60 out your pocket,,,,bye bye york

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Thanks to Carole and team to looking after us once again and we can't wait to return next year... The breakfasts were amazing as always and Carole just makes you feel so welcome, you feel more like you're at home than staying at a guest house.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bourg-en-Bresse, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights. Our rooms were very comfortable, and cosy. Breakfast was excellent. Very friendly staff. Carol was very helpful with details of York, and the binder in our room was very informative. Thank you Carol you are a very good hostess.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I really enjoy Carole's hospitality - friendly and helpful. I hadn't been to York in many years and she helped remind me and inform me of all the great spots to see and what to do. There is a very helpful binder of information compiled on York in your room, I referred to it a lot for the few days I was there.
I walked everywhere. It's a 20 to 30 minute walk to the centre of York. Very easy to get there, Carole gave me two helpful maps.
The b&b is immaculate, my room was wonderful. I had the Violet room on the top floor. Double bed, en-suite, goodie tray with tea & coffee, digital alarm clock, nice flat screen tv. I was very happy here.
The Violet room in the back is very quiet, and I'd certainly request it for next time. Well, it was quiet until the neighbours with screaming children arrived. This is a house and there is no soundproofing of course. Nothing you can do, you're pretty much at the mercy of the consideration of others in a b&b. It's family friendly, that's great but bring your earplugs. I am glad I left the next day as the screaming and carrying on went on and on. It was like I was in their room.
I slept like a log for the first two nights as it's quiet but the third night was a wreck... but that's how it goes sometimes! So if there's no screaming kids, you're in for a treat.

Breakfast was great. I haven't eaten so much in ages! There is a great selection of breakfast types, English, Veggie, Mediterranean, Continental - a lovely choice, it's terrific. I must say, the fresh coffee was amazing too.
I highly recommend this lovely establishment! Carole absolutely is dedicated to your happiness during your stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo