“once again...”

Avondale Guest House
Ranked #53 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Went to York the end of june... and of course checked in at Avondale...

Carol (and crew) is so friendly and it's only 8-10 minutes walk in the city.
Breakfast outstanding!
Rooms small but cosy and there is everything that you need.
I love this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have just stayed for 2 nights at the Avondale and would like to thank Carole and her team for all their hard work. Carole is a fantastic host and has a great knowledge of York City Centre which made it very easy for us to find our way around. Breakfast was lovely and we thoroughtly enjoyed the "Whiskey Porridge" a good start to the day. Our bedroom was spotless and very comfortable. The house is a leisurely 10/15minute stroll into the city centre. We recommend this guest house to anyone wishing to enjoy a break to York. Thank you Carole once again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2012

For the last 5 years we have stayed at Avondale for our visit to the York Cycle Show. Carole is a fantastic host and the accommodation is extremely well presented and comfortable. Each year has been consistently excellent and Carole's breakfasts are delightful. We look forward to returning next year. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed at Carole's Avondale for 3 nights and had enjoyed it thoroughly. The house is located in a safe and quiet neighbourhood, about 10 minutes stroll to the city centre.

It was pouring on the day we arrived and Carole still came out to help us with our luggages. Parking was a breeze despite the rain as Carole had prepared the permits beforehand (we had informed Carole that we had a car when we made the booking).
She briefed us on the usual (vicinity/amenities, room, parking and breakfast) and York and its nearby/attraction before passing us the brochure/maps and a folder with fantastic writeup on walls and other York attraction. All very useful and handy for a first time visitor.

We stayed on the Rose room (if i remember the name correctly). It is a family room and spacious enough for 4 of us. The room has a side view of the York Minster. The room is clean and well maintained throughout our stay.

The breakfast was hearty and delicious. It could last us through lunch as the portion was really generous. We were spolit by having 6 choices, all equally yummy.

I would recommend this lovely B&B to anyone

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We have just returned from our third stay at Avondale. Each time we have had a lovely stay. The rooms are spotlessly clean, homely and have everything you need. Carole and her team are very welcoming and so friendly. The breakfasts are delicious with a superb choice that will suit even the pickiest of eaters! We love the place! The location is great too, about a fifteen minute walk from the city centre, but Bishopthorpe itself has lots of great little shops and restaurants, we ate at a fantastic Indian restaurant, Lal Quila. Next time we will try Melton Two, which also gets good reviews and is literaly just around the corner. If you want somewhere that is friendly,comfortable, clean and reasonably priced...try Avondale

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My sister booked this B&B based on reviews from Tripadvisor, and I am sorry to say that we were disappointed with our stay.

The B&B was a 25-minute walk from the train station, but when we asked for directions from tourist information, they suggested taking a taxi since it was evening and the area not so great. That was when I began to feel uneasy.

The photographs provided by management are misleading, instead of a large, modern room, we arrived to one that was small (even considering that there was an extra bed to accommodate 3 people) and with a dingy carpet and peeling wallpaper. The bathroom was also small and it was a bit tricky to manage the shower (the shower head fell on me twice and the hot tap burns skin upon contact) without getting the whole floor wet. The radiator did not work (except for an hour or two early in the morning), which sucked during a cold and wet weekend in York. The room did have a tea tray and toiletries (shampoo, lotion, facial cleanser) but there were some tea packets that were already opened/used and there was chocolate mix all over the tray.

Breakfast was also not what we expected. We were asked to write our choices the night before, that was all right, but we did not get an 'award-winning' breakfast but rather a lukewarm, rubbery canteen fry-up. Furthermore, though we were the first to arrive in the breakfast room at our appointed time, we were the last people to be served (there were about 4 other tables full). The very last. Everyone had finished eating by the time we got our plates. My little brother was very hungry and I was angry. I confronted Carole about breakfast, which had delayed our activities for at least an hour, and she told me that it was customary in England to wait until every person had finished their starters before serving the rest of the meal to everyone else. I had indeed had a 'starter' of whiskey porridge, but I am certain that I finished that within 5 minutes of it being served. Surely it could not have taken another 45 minutes to cook the rest? Carole told me we should have asked to have the food served all at once, but in England, it is the tradition have things done in a certain way. I must say that I've been to the United Kingdom thrice before and I have NEVER heard of this custom and neither did any of the B&B hosts I stayed with subsequent to Avondale House. Even so, I think she should have let us know about this so-called custom since we were clearly tourists from abroad. During my discussion, I felt condescended to but I will admit that Carole was never rude but spoke in a friendly tone.

The United Kingdom is generally more expensive than most countries but I have always felt that quality is worth paying for. Avondale House was not value for money (I have stayed in B&Bs that were both better appointed and cheaper) and made our visit to York less comfortable and enjoyable than it could have been.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 'The Heather Room'. It is tiny and the closets and drawers take up a lot of s...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank arnique
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend break in York and felt we had to write a review.
Upon arriving we were met by Carole, who was very friendly and gave us a warm welcome and let us know a bit about the history of the city and had some good tips for getting around and what to see.
Breakfast, with its great selection of dishes is excellent, Carole truly deserves her award for her breakfasts.
The family room is a good size with a good sized en suite and nice comfy beds, plus Spike the dog made our sons cuddly toys very welcome, even reading them stories while we were out.
Location wise its about 5 mins from Cliffords Tower, so is a great base to go exploring from, plus on a side note if you need to stow your luggage while you go exploring, the National Rail Museum has some lockers which don't cost much to use, plus there's a footbridge from the train station to the museum.

So all in all a heartily recommended place to stay in a nice area, with good food and a very friendly landlady, thank you Carole we will definately be staying with you when we stay in York next.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family