“Cute place, great coffee”

Spring Espresso - Fossgate
Ranked #24 of 945 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We are a primarily a coffee shop using Square Mile coffee. We do home made cakes and wonderful sandwiches
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I visited Spring Espresso a few times on a recent trip to York. The coffee was delicious, the service was good, and the place has a friendly and comfortable atmosphere. A great find for a quick coffee in York. I will be going back next time I'm in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Popped in to Spring on a day trip to York from Whitby having heard about the tremendous success of this place online. Being coffee shop proprietors ourselves, my family and I tend to be critical of coffee, and definitely enjoy geeking out over the logistics and details of making a great cuppa!

Two Flat Whites and a Mocha later, we left, delighted that we'd found somewhere to kick start our day. The coffee was delicious - not overpowering or too strong, but filled with flavour, and the trio of toast (mustard and raisin I believe - the Marmite had run out) was equally as good.

The owner was as welcoming as you can get, even pausing to chat with us about the business and the coffee. Would highly recommend this place to anyone passing by, but if you're not passing and you're a fan of great coffee, make a detour.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is sometimes where TA could do with a coffee shop section in its reviews, I think it is unfair to have this simple coffee shop ranked so highly among some tremendous restaurants which are obviously being judged on far more difficult criteria.
That said - we happened to be passing and were due a coffee so called in on a Saturday afternoon.
It is simply laid out with some sofas and small half tables. The two teenage boys taking the orders are not particularly welcoming and appear rather indifferent.
We ordered two flat white coffees, the cakes and scones on display looked nice.
The coffee was brought to our table and had that temperature which was instantly drinkable - not cold but not hot either. I'm not sure what I expected after reading the reviews on here, a massed choir of angels perhaps singing as I took my first sip??
It was just an ok cup of coffee, instantly forgettable - if you are passing by fine, but don't go out of your way.

1  Thank Pollyschoices
Steve D, Manager at Spring Espresso - Fossgate, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

First of all thank you for your review. We take the point about the two young guys you mention and just want to let you know that they are extremely diligent and willing to learn and customer interaction is something we are working on with them. It sounds however, you have bigger issues with how Trip Advisor operates and unfortunately you decided to vent your frustration on this occasion. The temperature of a Flat White is cooler than other drinks and ours is served at 55-60 C which enables the barista to achieve a sweet spot within the milk, and it should be right for you to drink straight away. I reject the comment about 'simple business' and invite you to come and find out the complexities of coffee, and the bigger surrounding running any business in today's economic climate.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited today on the basis of Trip Advisors rating. I visit York regularly and usually go to Costa or Nero, but now I've discovered this little gem I will be a regular. I had a decaff cappuccino and it tasted exquisite, with a lovely creamy head, which strangely also had a strong flavour of coffee. Didn't have any cake (I didn't get this racing snake physique by eating cake), but they looked really good. Now ranks above Becketts in Whitby, my previous favourite, for best coffee in North Yorks

Steve D, Owner at Spring Espresso - Fossgate, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Praise indeed, thank you so much for these kind words, try the cake next time I recommend the Apple Bourbon cake. We put a lot of care into what we do and it is nice to be complemented :-)

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Popped in on our first day of a 3 day trip to York (on the strength of tripadvisor reviews) and liked it so much we went in each of the three days we were there! Lovely cappuccino, exceptionally generous portion of lemon polenta cake, but best of all the most delicious macchiato I've had, anywhere. Would highly recommend to anyone going to York looking for a good coffee. The staff were exceptionally friendly, the atmosphere was very relaxed, and (although a small thing) I really liked the bottle of water on each table. Really got the impression that these people cared!

Thank you for all your visits, I am so pleased you had a great experience. Water is always nice with coffee and as we have a tap full of it we don't mind sharing :-) thanks again