“Tour of Chocolate story York”

York's Chocolate Story
York's Chocolate Story Guided Tour
Ranked #18 of 167 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: York's Chocolate Story is an entertaining and informative guided tour through the history of York's most famous chocolate-making families and their finest creations. You'll discover chocolate's origins, how to make it, how to taste it like an expert and even the sustainable future of chocolate. You'll also uncover a host of surprising secrets and fascinating facts behind York's greatest chocolate products, from the Chocolate Orange to the globally famous KitKat. Once you've explored chocolate making and its history, you can even shop for and indulge in chocolate to your heart's content. There's so much for you to enjoy and discover!
Reviewed December 8, 2014

We visited York for the day and decided to visit the latest attraction of the Chocolate Story. We found the story interesting, sampling along the way. Finished with our own bar made and finally the actual making the chocolate by the professionals by hand. Well worth a visit and value for money. The only problem for us there was not enough seating, standing for an hour and a quarter. Really enjoyable. Only visited by guided tour.

Ralph H, Manager at York's Chocolate Story, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2014

Hello and thanks you for leaving a review. So glad to hear that you enjoyed the tour.

We are looking into getting more seating for the tour and it should be in place shortly.

Hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,737)
All reviews
in 54 reviews
"visiting york"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

we had a spare hour or so to waste and money and our york pass so decided to give this a go despite both being on diets.
To dsicover how chocolate came about and what it tasted like throughout the ages was quite interesting and we got to make our own chocolate bar! they also had a display on covering the great war which was also good.
nice coffee shop also selling some unusual goodies

1  Thank Ian H
Reviewed December 6, 2014

The tour itself was fine, my daughter got to make a chocolate lollipop so she was happy. The guide was good and made it interesting. My issue is with the price of the Santa tour.

My daughter is 2 and scared to visit Santa in a traditional grotto, so I thought a tour where she could just see him from a distance would be a perfect introduction without upsetting her by making her sit on his knee or whatever. The price for a chocolate tour for the over 4's is £7.95, the Santa tour is £12.95, over 4's are therefore charged £5 for the privilege of speaking to Santa and receiving a gift, fair enough. Under 4's usually get free entry (I assume as they won't understand most of what is going on) so I made the wild assumption that if my daughter plucked the courage up to see Santa that we would be able to pay £5 extra like the over 4's, however on entry to the chocolate tour we were told that no she would be charged £12.95 to see Santa. Seemed ridiculous to me as a 2 year old she doesn't really understand the concept of Santa or indeed understand much of the chocolate tour. I asked to speak to a manager and explained I thought it was quite a high charge to see Santa but I was told that was the cost and she could either see Santa or not, so we opted not to just on principal really as the pricing of it seemed so far wrong. The lady I spoke to said it was a £12.95 charge for the Santa experience but there is no way 10 seconds with Santa in a room with everyone else there would be worth that charge.

Come on Chocolate Story where is your Christmas Spirit for the little ones?

2  Thank Suzi998
Ralph H, Marketing Manager at York's Chocolate Story, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2014

Hello and thank you for your review.

We are very sorry to hear that there was a misunderstanding with the price of our Santa tours for under 4’s. This experience is charged at an extra £5 for all children, making over 4’s £12.95 and under 4’s £5. We would like to apologise that you were given the wrong information and would like to invite you back for a complimentary visit to enjoy one of our Santa tours this December. Please contact us on – rhewitt@yorkschocolatestory.com

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the tour itself and look forward to seeing you back at York’s CHOCOLATE Story in the near future.

Reviewed December 4, 2014

went there as i had a birthday gift voucher to sent in there and what and amazing experience it was really fun day spent every one who lives in York should visit there perfect place for kids or adults good fun

See more reviews
Reviewed December 4, 2014

Visited with my daughter in law and two grandchildren. Very interesting to hear the history of Cocoa / Chocolate and the developemt of the Cocoa Houses by the Quaker families in York. Tasting samples were much appreciated. Also a surprise to hear how much involvement the chocolate manufaturers were involved in the 'War Effort'. My Grandaughter really enoyed making her own chocolate lolly. And I enjoyed tasting the handmade chocolates - very grown up flavours. Our guide was very knowledgeable and obviously enjojed telling the story - this makes such a difference. Would recomend pre-booking

1  Thank Lesley S