“Excellent Food and Service”
Review of Village Spice

Village Spice
Ranked #194 of 955 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Not the first time I have been here and pleased to say that this has become my restaurant of choice for Indian food in York. Excellent food and very good pleasant service on each of my visits. Would recommend to others especially the Panch Rangia :-)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went here on the recommendation of a younger friend who said it was good & cheap for the quality of food. It wasn't! I had a tikka & my friend had a Korma. Both were bland & tasteless with the accompanying rice & naan seeming very poor quality. To be fair, it was cheaper than many other Indians I've been to in York but in my native Birmingham this place would have gone out of business years ago - today you have to serve good quality at a decent price and this restaurant is below par -go elsewhere!
PS We ate at Lal Quila another night & that was not much better!!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We decided to treat ourselves to a meal out, chose this restaurant as we had heard great things about it!
We could not have been more disappointed - it was terrible neither my Byriani or my husbands Madras tasted anything like they should have.. we enjoy Indian food and have been frequenting the many restaurants in and around York for a good number of years. We will not be visiting this one again!

My rice was very greasy and the rest of my meal had absolutely no taste at all. The Madras my husband had was of the standard you could make at home as a beginner using a cook in sauce. All in all a failure and we not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

My partner booked us a table for dinner at Village Spice on the weekend. The restaurant is located in Bishopthorpe, which is a bit of a walk out of the city centre. The decor of the restaurant is modern, with lots of white walls/surfaces brightened by coloured lights. There's piped in music, which is fine: not too loud, so you can still carry out a conversation. Service was good: we were quickly seated, and the waiter checked that we were happy with the table. During the meal he checked on us to see if we were happy with the food, and food was delivered quite promptly.

We had a starter of poppadoms. These were OK. Nothing particularly special about them, or about the pickle tray they came with. The restaurant doesn't have a liquor license, so you might need to bring your own if you want beer or wine. I asked if they had fruit juice, and was happy to have a J2O with my meal; my partner had water. For mains there were a good number of choices on the menu. I was pleased to see that there were different side dishes as well: different rice dishes, chappatis as well as naan bread, and so on. We shared a lemon rice dish, which I enjoyed, and also a peshwari naan, which was delicious: plenty of coconut.

The mains we ordered were good. In particular, I liked that the onions in mine still had a bit of crunch or a pleasing texture to them. The food tasted fresh, and we both enjoyed it. It's not the best Indian food I've had, and probably not the best in York, but it is perfectly fine, and I wouldn't mind eating at the restaurant again if I was in the neighbourhood.

The cost for both of us was around £25, which seems reasonable to me.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

DO NOT CLICK WEBSITE LINK

The food is tasty and well cooked - that is the minimum expected though?
They do take away and delivery - my advice use it and enjoy it at home.
If you are looking for a restaurant the location and decor will not suit many, if you are visiting York you will likely regret this decision - as a BYO the local shop has poor drinks selection which will ruin your meal until they become licensed to sell alcohol.
If you are a local it is a good Indian take away, any more than that or worthy of it's ranking? not so sure.