“Excellent Food”

Cuisines: International, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is the best pub food I've had in York since moving here 16 years ago!

As other reviewers have said the menu has a "specials" section that contains some unusual dishes. I had Fattoush which is a type of middle eastern salad which was excellent and I had to Google it for a recipe when I got home. We spoke with the owner who said that the specials section changes every 2-3 weeks to keep this interesting.

There is a selection of real ales to choose from and there is a large beer garden and car park to the rear of the pub.

If it was closer to where I live I would have a new "local".

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have eaten at this pub a number of times and i must say the food is outstanding, the ingredients are fresh the menus are inventive and interesting and the portions are generous ( and not a single chicken nugget and chips in sight)
The first time i ate here i had portugese sardines (on a green salad and fresh ciabatta) they had been marinated and spiced..it was so amazing i went back the very next day for the same meal!!!!
Pudding wise the portugese tarts are to die for and are better than anything i have had in London.

Treat yourself, i guarentee you will be hooked on the cusine and atmosphere.
my favourite pub to eat in York.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Wow! Just had fantastic food in a York pub, the Fulford Arms. It was "spanish chicken in beer with a garlic and olive oil mash", and it really was absolutely sensational, can't fault it, it was that good!

Can't wait to go back - other dishes include things like "soy glazed pork belly with cashews and spring onion rice", "black bean quesadillas with sour cream and pepper & tomato salsa" - you get the idea, it's obviously about great combinations of flavours, from people who obviously know their cooking ('Lewis & Duncan' - not surprised to find out they were in the Good Food Guide 2012 for food at their previous place.) From the blackboard the home made desserts look just as amazing. Apparently the menu changes regularly, but is always along similar lines.
On top of all that, the Fulford Arms is a really nice pub with some great beer too!
Seriously, this is the BEST food I've had in an English pub since I can't remember when. If you like top level pub food at reasonable prices (£8 ish for mains, £4 for desserts), this is for you. It's been a long time since I felt I could recommend somewhere without reservation - 5 stars all round! Fab! Go! x

1  Thank bartchristophers
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This place used to be a dive. I went there a year and a half ago and my friend and I left and walked two miles to the city centre to find a place less grim. It has been completely changed for the better!

The interior walls have been ripped out, opening up the space. The place is filled with nice tables and some really comfy leather sofas and armchairs. The decor is artsy and a little alternative without being pretentious. One wall is decorated with framed lobby cards for The Wicker Man, for instance. The selection of local real ales is impressive, and tasters are freely offered. My lunch came quickly and was very tasty, prepared from fresh ingredients. The barkeep was neat and friendly. My dog was off her lead when I came in, which is against the house rules, but nobody said anything. They have a little heap of dog toys too - the governor is apparently a dog owner.

The pub doesn't take cards, but you can get cash back at the Sainsbury's across the road which is open until 11pm.

2  Thank Damosel
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We visited this pub which was just across the road from our holiday cottage on a Tuesday evening when they had a quiz night. It's not a huge pub and seems to attract a younger crowd (although the quiz night may have been the reason for this). During a break in the quiz proceedings, everyone was welcome to help themselves to free bread, bacon and scrambled egg - never seen that before in a pub but nearly everyone dived in! (Maybe it's a Northern thing)?

They also have a music quiz on Thursday nights and live music at the weekend.

The lone barmaid was very friendly and efficient. We had a great evening here. Apparently they have 2 new chefs starting in May so if we return to York, we'll definitely check it out again. The Real Ale loyalty card scheme is a good idea.

2  Thank EsBLondon1