“Excellent service, wonderful staff & tasty food”
Review of The Graduate

The Graduate
Ranked #728 of 946 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Drink upstairs, chill in the living room, or sit at the kitchen table downstairs and watch the game. Awesome pub in York with something for everyone. Plenty of screens showing Sky and BT Sport. Great food for sharing, from southern fried chicken, to barbequed ribs and burger n a drink. Downstairs, you'll find living room armchairs, little cubby holes, and a kitchen table for 10 complete with your own screen and a even a sink! Free printing available, with USB a plug sockets everywhere.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I am a resident of York and have attended the graduate on many occasions. It is quite difficult in a city centre to find good quality food at a reasonable price!! Their daily offers are amazing for good home cooked food at non-york prices! For example their pizza and a drink for £5 is a particular treat. Or if I miss this lunch time special I can always count on buy one get one free pizzas with friends.

I was asked by the staff if my food was okay and if I needed any further assistance. It is nice to know that the staff care about your experience.

I particularly enjoyed the starters provided, the portions were perfectly sized and piping hot. (and on offer which is a plus!!)

I will continue to recommend the graduate to all my friends and family.

1  Thank Stephrudd182

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place is a total disgrace. The furnishings are worn out, nothing we ordered on the menu were in stock. Hot drinks were cold, food was cold. Gents toilets were disgusting.
This place needs a visit from the Environmental Health Dept.

2  Thank warboys
Reviewed March 6, 2013

2 Drinks 2 Pizzas & 4 minature desserts (not so minature though) all this for £13.49. The pizzas were made with a pitta bread base but were 12ins & delicious.

1  Thank westauckland
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I needed a place where I could get on the internet with wifi as my phone broke, but also a restaurant where I could top up the calories after the second day of a coast to coast bike ride. After aimlessly wandering round in the early evening, I stumbled upon this pub which looked fun, inviting and not as pretentious as some in the street. It's much larger inside than it initially appeared, and seemed friendly, welcoming and had good, modern music playing at a volume that allowed you to enjoy conversation. The service at the bar was speedy and I was recommended that if I bought 2 large glasses of wine, I could have the rest of the bottle for free, which saved me about £6 on the bottle price.

The main meal was substantial, I had a mixed grill, and this was prepared the way I like it, although the steak was not the best quality ever. Still, I suppose you get what you pay for and a large plate of mixed meat, eggs and mushrooms etc for about £10 was fair value. It came to desserts, and bar staff came to the table to offer me the choice for pud. I was offered a coffee, and the machine cappuccino wasn't the worst I've had, but pudding was on a 2 for 1 offer. What do you do if you're on your own? The Apple crumble was OK, but obviously a microwave packet meal, not home made and the chocolate fudge cake was also tasty, but the same thing applied. Maybe investing in a home made cake from local bakeries would merit paying a bit more for the extra quality rather than banking on volume discount offers? Nice night overall.

1  Thank southportscott
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We visited this pub as a group of two families just to have a basic meal. The advertised Pizzas were completely sold out. The childrens fishfinger meal was sold out as was the icecream pudding. This was at 5pm on a thursday. On visiting the toilet (two of the urinals were overflowing) I saw two young teenagers trying to figure out the stock take so might have something to do with the lack of pizzas and fishfingers ? We settled for fish and chips which consisted of a few chips, approx one table spoon of beans and a fish which was about 75% batter. The prices were higher than Wetherspoons in York. I am comparing with Wetherspoons because both are chain pubs and should be compared on quality and price. The food at Wetherspoons is basic but good and cheaper. At The Graduate the food was less than basic and more expensive.

The atmoshere in the pub is nice so the pub has two stars for this. However, the drinks prices are much higher than Wetherspoons.

Never again for food.