“Love going”

York Theatre Royal
Ranked #1 of 6 Concerts & Shows in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: York Theatre Royal has been producing great drama in the beautiful city of York for over 250 years and is one of the country's leading producing theatres. Each year the theatre entertains over 200,000 people with its wide variety of performances, events and activities including the much loved annual pantomime starring Berwick Kaler, the UK's longest-running Dame. Over the last ten years York Theatre Royal's work has expanded to include collaborations with the wider community and school groups both on and off stage. The theatre has seen an increase in the number of young people wanting to get involved and as a result they now have one of the largest youth theatre groups in the country with over 300 members. In recent years, the theatre has had huge success in terms of number of attendees and various awards recognising their work for The Railway Children hosted at the National Railway Museum and then transferred to the old Eurostar terminal at Waterloo, and the large scale production of the York Mystery Plays 2012 involving over 1,000 members of the community. The theatre reopened Friday 22 April following a £6million redevelopment, with a new roof, an extended and re-modelled front of house area, a refurbished and redecorated main auditorium and with major improvements to access and environmental impact. York Theatre Royal is now a building fit for a 21st century audience that will be sustainable and able to thrive into the future.
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Love going”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Love going , I can't really say I have been loads but everything I have been to see has been great especially Anne Frank , there is a lovely cafe and other facilities but it depends on what you are going to see weather you will like it or not.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jodi0405

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best theatre in Yorkshire!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

York Theatre Royal never fails to disappoint. Lovely architecture, great range of shows and pretty good value for money.

Visited May 2014
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Good show and good food.”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We arrived early for our show 'a taste of honey' so we decided to eat at the theatre. Surprisingly good food at a quite reasonable price. I had nachos with chilli beef. Yum. My husband had chickpea casserole, also yum! The show was very good, as is everything and anything by Hull Truck. All in all, a good night out.

Visited July 2014
Moorpark, California
419 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 370 helpful votes
“Perfection!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We are avid theater goers (over 600 plays in 43 years), so whenever we travel we try to take in a few local productions. We were surprised, no we were shocked, at just how wonderful Witness for the Prosecution was at the Old Guildhall Chambers (perfect location by the way). We were both thrilled and mesmerized by the writing, directing, staging, and acting. I think I forgot to blink, I was so engrossed. Blew us away - bravo! Very affordable too with friendly staff. Agatha would have been soooooo pleased. Nice safe area at night. We walked back to our B&B near York Minster down Stonegate and felt very safe the whole way.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Linda C
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Hit The Road Jaques”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am a member of this theatre and see lots of shows, very rarely does it disappoint. Just seen Hit the Road Jaques and it was awesome from start to finish.
The staff are always friendly and those in the booking office are very patient when I go in and make my multiple show bookings and very helpful and accommodating in dealing with any queries I might have.

Love the theatre itself and the amazing chandelier. I hear it is closing for extension work to be done in March, I will miss visiting to see the shows.

Visited June 2014