“Perfection!”

York Theatre Royal
Ranked #1 of 7 Concerts & Shows in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: York Theatre Royal has been producing great drama in the beautiful city of York for over 250 years and is one of the country's leading producing theatres. Each year the theatre entertains over 200,000 people with its wide variety of performances, events and activities including the much loved annual pantomime starring Berwick Kaler, the UK's longest-running Dame. Over the last ten years York Theatre Royal's work has expanded to include collaborations with the wider community and school groups both on and off stage. The theatre has seen an increase in the number of young people wanting to get involved and as a result they now have one of the largest youth theatre groups in the country with over 300 members. In recent years, the theatre has had huge success in terms of number of attendees and various awards recognising their work for The Railway Children hosted at the National Railway Museum and then transferred to the old Eurostar terminal at Waterloo, and the large scale production of the York Mystery Plays 2012 involving over 1,000 members of the community. The theatre reopened Friday 22 April following a £6million redevelopment, with a new roof, an extended and re-modelled front of house area, a refurbished and redecorated main auditorium and with major improvements to access and environmental impact. York Theatre Royal is now a building fit for a 21st century audience that will be sustainable and able to thrive into the future.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We are avid theater goers (over 600 plays in 43 years), so whenever we travel we try to take in a few local productions. We were surprised, no we were shocked, at just how wonderful Witness for the Prosecution was at the Old Guildhall Chambers (perfect location by the way). We were both thrilled and mesmerized by the writing, directing, staging, and acting. I think I forgot to blink, I was so engrossed. Blew us away - bravo! Very affordable too with friendly staff. Agatha would have been soooooo pleased. Nice safe area at night. We walked back to our B&B near York Minster down Stonegate and felt very safe the whole way.

1  Thank Linda C

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am a member of this theatre and see lots of shows, very rarely does it disappoint. Just seen Hit the Road Jaques and it was awesome from start to finish.
The staff are always friendly and those in the booking office are very patient when I go in and make my multiple show bookings and very helpful and accommodating in dealing with any queries I might have.

Love the theatre itself and the amazing chandelier. I hear it is closing for extension work to be done in March, I will miss visiting to see the shows.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We visited the Theatre Royal as I won tickets for a CBeebies show, which I took my 3 year old daughter to. The tickets were within the first 3 rows of the stalls - just glad we were nearer the side as we'd have had terrible neck ache looking directly up at Chris and Pui.

The show was great, the surroundings nice if a little dated, but i was surprised the auditorium was as small as it is, compared with Sunderland Empire Theatre. The drinks and snacks were priced as I'd have expected for similar shows at other venues I have been to.

All in all a nice threatre.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

A lovely historical building, and puts on fantastic shows. Tickets/seats are at reasonable prices, plus offers, discounts and good priced food and beverages in the small cafe at the front.
Good priced Program Booklets and sweeties and drik
It is also set in a really good place, with York Minster around the corner, a bus stop right outside the doors!, an Art Gallery over road, cafes around both corners and had a City Sightseeing bus over road in front of the Gallery.

1  Thank Aimee N
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Good play, comfortable seats, easily accessed on foot from the center of the city, reasonably priced

1  Thank Jerome F