“Horrible!”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Ranked #122 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I hate complaining and have never wrote a review before but this visit was just horrible! We paid £50 for Bed and Breakfast, prior to going we looked on line at the food menu and it seemed to be nice food so we arranged to arrive early in order to have some lunch in the bar before getting ready to attend the wedding we were going to. When we arrived we checked in and the girl said 'do you know the kitchen is closed, we werent be serving any food at all including breakfast' so not only had we arrived early to have lunch but we wouldnt be getting the breakfast we had paid for either.When we got to our room, room 3 it was ok but nothing like the pictures online. The room was freezing and the bathroom was dirty. My partner turned on the Tv as he had planned to watch the rugby on BBC however the tv's did not work. He then attempted to get a shower however the shower door did not shut therefore water went everywhere.

After contemplating going and staying somewhere else we decided that as we would be at the wedding it was only a bed and we would make do.

After a great night out we returned at midnight to find ourselves LOCKED OUT! It was freezing cold, Pitch black, not a person in sight. I was scared and cold and my partner was worried as we were in the middle of nowhere and could not get in to the B&B. We knocked on all the doors and windows front and back, we even went to the cottage attached where the door was open, we let ourselves in and were shouting hello but nobody came. If we would have had our car keys we would have slept in the car however our car keys were in the room. We saw lights on upstairs but after kncoking and shouting nobody came. We were ringing the number for the Ship inn hoping someone would answer however the phone kept being hung up. After over an hour a gentleman from upstairs who had heard us knocking came down and unlocked the door. By this point we were fumning and freezing! it took us ages to get warm and get to sleep.

When we woke in the morning as there were no breakfast we wanted to leave straight away. We went downstairs to check out yet there was nobody around. we left our keys on the bar and left.

HORRIBLE! Spoilt our weekend.

Room Tip: Choose a different B&B
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim L

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Amazing food and hospitality, fed the ducks too! Granny really enjoyed her 90th party.The children were happy to potter around in the beer garden. Well done to Mark and barstaff for a very enjoyable afternoon

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Emallan
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The double room we got had a 4 poster bed which was very comfy, room was spacious and clean with views of the boats on the river, loveley toiletries and fluffy white towels, plenty of tea/coffee. The evening meal was very tasty with large portions, and the staff were so happy to help. Breakfast was plentiful and very tasty (slight niggle was that there were no fresh juice- hadnt had the delivery yet- but gave me a britvic 55 and that we couldn't get a good picture on the tv ) Lovely beer and gardens. We are planning to go back soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

There was cobwebs and dirty skirting boards everywhere
the food and service was amazing but just lacking personal touches eg no menu or choices for breakfast no cereal or fresh juice or toast and jam and they had run out of SUGAR!!!!!!
We didnt get towels till 7.15pm on day of arrival
shame because food and staff was fabulous

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have waited over a week to write this review to give myself chance to reflect on the stay, to see if I would feel any different as time passed... I don't I am still mortified by the whole experience.
We booked a living social deal with our neighbour's, we were a little apprehensive as it was cheap at only £52 for DBB, but we thought even if it is basic as long as it is clean it will be fine. Now there is where the problem's started......
We checked into our room and it was very basic and old fashioned, it had a sink in the bedroom and a sliding door to the bathroom(which was only attached at the top so flapped away from the door at the bottom) which housed a tiny old shower and a toilet. Unfortunately the bathroom was filthy there was hair and dust everywhere and the backing off a large sanitary towel stuck to the floor!!!
I went down to the bar to explain the situation to the staff, I was met by what I can only say was a mere acknowledgement of the problem and that house keeping would sort it out, I did not even get an apology from the manager with whom I spoke, he just turned away and served someone else!! Now if that was me I would have been mortified and been apologetic.
We bought a drink and sat outside and had a discussion on whether we should try and find somewhere else to stay for the night, but we decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and stay, how I wish we hadn't.
The woman that checked us in, who had seemed quite stressed and did a lot of muttering under her breath came to get our keys off us to clean the room as that was the only set, when she returned then she just shrugged and again no apology for the state of the room.
There were issues in the afternoon about were we could sit to have a drink the bar was pretty full and it seemed to be more geared up for diners rather than for drinking, we were told to sit in the conservatory. We went to this empty room that stunk of chip fat and decided we did not want to sit there so went back to the bar and sat at a table that did not have reserved sign on it.
We went through to have our evening meal (the one positive is that the food is not bad) the restaurant is quite small and there were only a few other people in. As a group talk got onto that most people were on this living social deal and people were discussing this. I said that I had an issue with the cleanliness of the room and described the state of the bathroom, the next minute the manager comes across and tells us there has been a complaint against us from a fellow diner.
I cannot begin to tell you how horrified we all were, we were having a discussion and I was in no way being rude of offensive. As you can imagine things got a little heated and it totally ruined our night. I went to speak to the manager 15 minutes later in the bar, and he had the nerve to say it was not appropriate to speak to him in the bar but he felt it appropriate to come to us in the restaurant and embarrass us in such a way!!! He went onto make ridiculous accusations about us being rude to his waiter (we most definitely were not) he was annoyed that we sat in the bar earlier and not in the conservatory as we had been told (what are we children).
I can honestly say I have never visited a more badly run establishment with a manager with such poor customer service skills.
We went to bed without finishing our meal as we were so upset, we did not get any sleep due to music playing until 2.30am, we checked out as soon as we could in the morning without having breakfast as we could not bear to stay there a minute longer,

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank TracieEastYorkshire
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Lovely pub, great food - changed hands a few months ago and Hamish adn Jamie are doing a great job. Stayed on a Thursday - which is quiz night - had a wonderful evening. Really nice staff (Ben deserves a mention - quiz master extraodinaire) Enjoyed myself so much I missed breakfast :( Husband told me it was really good. Ouse broke her banks that night and husband had to borrow wellies to rescue car. Will definitely go again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

The Ship Inn is located in a lovely location with views of the river ouze, the food is excellent, we went on a living social deal which was an absolute steal, it is reasonably priced for the great size portions and standard of food on a normal basis, £27.50 for 3 courses. The rooms are average but well kept, I was told by the co owners that they plan to refurb the rooms but they are just so busy at the moment. The owners and staff are all very welcoming and friendly, shame they had to deal with a drunken bunch of whiners whilst we were there, dealt with very well I would say! Several other couples were there on the same offer and sung their praise too.

We are planning to go back in the near future.

Thank you Jamie and Hamish for an excellent weekend!

• Stayed: May 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Parsonage Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Stillingfleet
Black Bull Inn
Black Bull Inn
#1 of 2 in Escrick

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!