“New Year Farce!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #168 of 205 York B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“New Year Farce!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Having read the comments from Andrew J, I too have to agree!
I paid £30 a ticket thinking this was a ticket only affair. On arriving at the pub, I found the ticket only part was a marquee set up with plastic garden furniture, a tiny dancefloor and a 'DJ' with a laptop and no personality! The buffet was served in the dining area of the pub and drinks needed ordering from the pub bar.
I was shocked that my drinks order couldnt be fulfilled. I hadnt asked for anything obscure - vodka and red bull - needed a boost after a day at work! - but no redbull.
The buffet was being used by locals who were eating food at the end of the bar - when I commented on the food a 'local' informed me that he hadnt paid, the payment was just for access to the marquee and dancefloor!
On returning to the buffet I asked if there were any biscuits to go with the chesse selection and was informed 'they'd run out' - the place seemed ill prepared for the event. Lack of mixers and not enough food.
I was told I had to eat my food in the marquee - I wasnt allowed to take the food into the bar - funny that when there was a chap sat with a plate full propping up the bar! So I ate my food sat on a white plastic chair in a marquee with a lack lustre DJ who said nothing but clicked a laptop!
Im not entirely sure what I paid for - one local left the bar entered the kitchen came out with 2 slices of bread from which he made a beef sandwich from the meat on the buffet - all unpaid for of course! At 11.30ish the buffet was removed - Ive never been to a New Years Eve 'do' when food has been cleared away before midnight!!!!!
At midnight, the 'locals' and revellers in the pub were invited to join everyone in the marquee - at this point I am struggling to see what exactly my £30 ticket entitled me too!
Really disappointed. I felt totally duped. I feel if I had been a regular in the pub Id have got it all for free. Not impressed at all.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ELiz C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kingston Upon Hull
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

Where do I start?

My wife and I decided on a New Year celebration and was chuffed to see that we could do this at this particular pub/restaurant. It was our first time of doing this, normally prefering to stay in, but we just fancied a change.

We purchased two tickets at £30.00 each on the assumption that we would be having a ticket only affair on the eve.

On the night it soon became apparent that this clearly was not the case. It at first appeared that anyone could come in, locals and passers by!

I asked a couple of individuals how much they had paid for the evening and was surpised to find that they hadnt paid anything.

We got chatting to several couples who clearly were as irritated as ourselves, but at Midnight the Landlord then invited everyone into the marquee making us even more annoyed. The food was snapped up by the regulars as if their lives depended on it.

So if you fancy a New Years Eve at The Hare and Hounds, enjoy paying when most of the rest get it for free, adore music presented by a man with a laptop and the enthusiasm of an undertaker, then go for it, you'll have a blast!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrew J

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Buxton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

I was booked in for bed and breakfast, can't comment on booking in process as someone else did it. The room was warm, clean and comfortable. Standard of tv was poor. The most disappointing thing was the food aspect. I was there on a Monday evening and there was no choice on the menu, just fish and chips. As I left the bar to go to my room I was informed that breakfasts were not served on a Tuesday morning!!! Most inconvenient, the information should have been made clear at the time of booking. A cafe down the road was recommended, but that wasn't what was expected. I wouldn't go back because of the lack of information provided about what was available.

Room Tip: Don't use room 2, the sound quality on the r tv is appalling
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank jengill1
Stockport
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed on a Monday night in Unit one and for the price, the accommodation was fine. The review by M-and H10 describes the premises very well. In particular the choice of real ales was excellent as was the food - fish and chips. However there were some issues that need attention.
1) The web site is good and informative and has a contact form. Why 2 were requests using the contact form ignored making it necessary for me to telephone to make the booking? Do the owners not realise that they are in business and need to work hard to attract customers. I had to stay in the village that night but if there were other inns/hotels in the area that suited my needs, I would have tried elsewhere. A request for a reservation is too valuable to ignore - let alone two enquiries.
2) The food on Monday night was fish and chips - no choice. Why? The web site describes the culinary expertise but all that was on offer that night was a single dish.
3) I wanted B&B but was informed that on Tuesdays the pub does not prepare any food. I was then informed that a cafe in the village serves breakfasts. The charge was for room only so I didn't pay for something I did not consume. The absence of a morning meal was an inconvenience but for a family this could have been a significant problem. Unacceptable!
4) The reinforcing web inside the shower hose in Unit 1 is weak. This causes the hose to kink when trying to shower stopping the water from flowing to the head. Replacing the hose would solve this problem because the reinforcing would remain hard enabling the hose to bend and not kink.
The hotel/units are in a convenient location for York, the Wolds and the East Coast but the owners need to improve the availability of food, response to web based enquiries and provide the level of service one expects from a good quality B&B otherwise the future looks bleak.

Room Tip: Check that food is available in the evening.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RobbieBStockport
Halifax, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at the Hare and Hounds because we were visiting family in the village. The pub has 4 motel type units behind the main building for guest accommodation. These are comfortable and spotlessly clean with a good bathroom and tea making facilities. Parking is right outside the door of each unit. The units are placed such that there is no disturbance from traffic passing through the village.
The owners are very friendly and make you feel welcome. Breakfast is served in the dining room. The menu was comprehensive and of good quality and included the choice of a full English breakfast.
We also ate dinner in the restaurant and we were very pleased with our meal. We enjoyed both the food and the service.
The pub and village are an ideal base for visiting York (Park and Ride available) and the surrounding countryside.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M-and-H10
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Ye Olde Red Lion
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,026 reviews
Beechwood Close Hotel
Beechwood Close Hotel
#2 of 3 in Clifton

Been to The Hare and Hounds? Share your experiences!