“A very good evening out”
Review of New York Grill @ Grange Hotel - CLOSED

Reviewed April 8, 2012

So, we booked a table for 4 at this restaurant for my wife's birthday, based on our only other visit which was for Christmas Day lunch 2010. I must admit I didn't check the reviews on here until 2 hours before our booking so I was somewhat worried but 2 reviews shouldn't form your opinion so we went with an open mind and I am glad we did

We had a very good night out. The food was excellent, we had the sirloin and the burger and all was of a very good quality and cooked perfectly. The only thing that did spoil it was the fact that my wife specifically asked the waitress, who was very pleasant, if the burger had any onions in it and was knowledgably told no. Then the meal turned up and the burger was laden with onions inside it! Very disappointing as my wife cannot stand onions and had to pick them out before giving up and leaving it. We should have sent it back but that would have meant her sitting there with nothing to eat whilst the rest of us had out meals.

Other than that the food itself was great, the surroundings excellent and the bill came to a out £140 for 4 of us, very reasonable.

Would we go back? Definitely but would ensure the waitress went and asked the chef about the food!

There are newer reviews for New York Grill @ Grange Hotel

Reviewed January 18, 2012

We ate here as the Ivy a two rosette restaurant was closed but the SAME menu is offered so one would imagine the same chef/chefs . The cote de bouef had to be sent back not cooked as ordered and it got cold very quickly the salad garnish was limp tipped out of a bag sort, and the fries were a cop out sliced up baked potato then put in the oven, they were overdone and some still had their eyes. Very pricey for the quality. Beware here as hotel guests use the bar area here and it got rowdy with business people
The waiter was apologetic giving the excuse that the Ivy was the awarded restaurant but when challenged yes the food comes from the same kitchen.. beggers belief.

1  Thank hallij2016
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at a B&B so had to eat out in the evening. The Grange Hotel has two restaurants. The New York grill is down in the cellar. The atmosphere and decor were fine. Black and white films are shown silently on big screens. Our first visit was on a Sunday and everything was fine. The staff were friendly and the food was lovely. Our second visit the following night was a complete change. There was a function in the upstairs restaurant and after we had waited over an hour for our main course the (only)waiter told us that the kitchen had decided to concentrate on the upstairs function so we'd have to wait. We asked to speak to the duty manager and was told that she had left and the headchef had gone after her! When the food eventually arrived the chicken wasn't cooked in the middle and had to be sent back. Normally we would leave but I'm diabetic and needed something quick. I ended up eating bread which we had to wait another 15 minutes for. It's such a pity as the venue would be lovely with decent food.