“Really great local restaurant cafe”
Review of Ambience - CLOSED

Ambience
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Ambience has the most beautiful city walled garden with minster views! Inside is small and intimate with a very warm and friendly atmosphere. Out side we have a covered area with has heaters for the colder days and evenings also we have a graveled area and a garden area to relax in!You must come and have a look you will be very impressed
“Really great local restaurant cafe”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

With the best cheese scones for miles around. Quaint bistro underneath the city walls. Well worth a visit

Visited April 2014

“What a lovely place!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited with my husband as he had spotted that it had a garden at the back and we fancied a quick lunch outside. The waitress greeted us and informed us of the specials and the soup of the day, she was very friendly and we took a seat in the garden. The York City wall is situated at the back of the garden and there is a lovely grassed area and hillside of flowers to look onto and there are quite a few tables outside, it was a lovely touch that you can take a blanket to use if you are a little nippy!! The table was a little dirty with food / drink stains but not terrible. The menu was lovely, it's a cafe style menu during the day and they are more of a bistro in the evening. I had the tomato and wild garlic soup, it was freshly made and using the wild garlic from the garden. It was very tasty as was the bread served alongside it. It was quite filling so disappointingly I didn't get to try the sticky toffee pudding.... next time! My husband had ham, eggs and home made chips which looked great! I would have preferred to have had sea salt rather than table salt but I loved that they were in mini kilner jars. I loved the beverage choices and I enjoyed a Fentimans Cherry cola (very good)... next time something different. Apparently they do Sunday lunch and themed evenings so we will definitely be back! The proprietor was very friendly also...

“Great little find”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Wanted to come here for the outside garden which faces the walls, with the sun out makes it a lovely place to sit out and eat.

Good choice on the menu not too much and just enough.

Great to see someone using Duck eggs, I had my own Ducks and love the eggs.

Waitress,s first day but she was very pleasant and coped very well

I had chosen what I wanted and went in to order, then I saw an old childhood favorite on the specials board Egg, Ham and Chips so had to change my mind, okay not very exciting I hear you say, but anything that takes me back to my early days cannot be bad.

As it happens Guy the owner was taking my order, before I ordered I did ask if the Ham was proper ham and not just processed, I think he was a little taken aback when I asked and assured me that it was the good stuff, Guy I didn't mean to offend but if you don't ask you don't know and it was important.

I also asked for coffee with cold milk and he was happy to oblige and I did get cold milk (Coffee Culture take note!)

It had started to get busier once we arrived, but the food still arrived in good time, lovely big fat chips in fact cant remember the last time I had chips that fat and cooked perfect.

One little small gripe and its just because its how I used to have it, I received three pieces of ham thinly sliced, I would have been happy with just two but thicker cut, as I said small gripe the ham was good and if it had been two thick pieces I would have marked the place excellent

Anyhow give it ago, he seems to be trying hard and making it interesting by holding events and keeping it fresh, I think the next visit will be for a Sunday lunch

Well Done

Beverley, United Kingdom
“Lovely little bistro”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Called in for coffee and cake on a lovely sunny day and sat in the garden, which in itself is a hidden gem, backing onto the walls. Came back for an early evening meal and thoroughly enjoyed the experience even though they were having a very quiet night. Had crab cakes then my husband had a steak, which was cooked rare as he requested and I had the lamb shank - all cooked perfectly, including the fresh veg. For desert we had pannacotta with poached pear, once again beautifully cooked. Couldn't fault the meal. The staff at both lunchtime and evening were great and we would happily return. Love the fact that there is a small menu as it means the food is not pre-prepared and is freshly cooked. Look forward to returning and wish Guy well.

“excellent little Bistro”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Had an excellent meal at Ambience over the weekend. Attentive service, great food and setting. Keep up the good work, will be back!

• Visited March 2014