“A must for lunch”
Review of Ambience - CLOSED

Ambience
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Ambience has the most beautiful city walled garden with minster views! Inside is small and intimate with a very warm and friendly atmosphere. Out side we have a covered area with has heaters for the colder days and evenings also we have a graveled area and a garden area to relax in!You must come and have a look you will be very impressed
Ripon, United Kingdom
“A must for lunch”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Visited Ambience once again and had a superb lunch. Amazing value for money and beautifully cooked and presented. Well worth the walk down Gilygate. If you haven't been yet you must try it.

Excellent

Derby, England
“The name is justified (fortunately!)”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Visiting York one Saturday night and ploughing down the long list of TA reviews left me with about four restaurants on my short-list. In the end I plumped for this one, not least because of its small intimate appearance and the fact that the chef was likely to be the proprietor…

Food was very good and some original menu ideas (without being quirky), although hearty eaters might feel some of the portions were a little light. Unusually desserts were for me the best course. Both the service and ambience were excellent and, despite it being a cold evening and external doors not far away, it was nice and cosy inside.

I particularly liked the fact that once service was complete the owner popped out to chat to the diners, and moreover seemed receptive to any feedback he was given. I wish him continued success.

York, United Kingdom
“Don't get the hype”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I must have missed something on my visit to ambience. We went during the day and after reading reviews on here expected something really special. It had a canteen feel and we were fairly cramped in. They had run out of a few items on the menu and what we had wasn't to my taste. My sandwich was average and fine but the rest of the sides on my plate were covered in a mustard dressing. The staff seemed run ragged despite the fact you order and pay at a counter so we didn't bother them for anything. Guess this just wasn't for us.

York, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little gem hidden away on Gillygate”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I visit Cafe ambience regularly as it's Dog friendly, with a covered space around the back with heat lamps. The food is locally sourced and amazing, everything is made on premises and the dinner menu is just superb.

1 Thank Ben C
York
“The Best Inderpendant Eatery In York”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I went to this bistro for the first time on Friday evening to try their bistro menu as I have already been for Sunday lunch on a couple of occasions which has always been excellent and very good value for money which has lead to it become very popular since the owner first opened 2 years ago.

The waitress was very polite and professional advising us on which wines paired well with the dishes on the menu. The food was cooked to a very high standard with out being to fussy and keep to its bistro roots!!

The Mackerel blini's with Wasbi cream starter was so light and tasty. My partner had the chicken liver pate with homemade walnut bread and he said it was creamy, rich with lots of flavor I then had the pan fried lambs liver which was cooked to perfection and my partner had the fish pie which also was very good then to finish we both had the chocolate tart with Yorkshire clotted cream and this was so naughty but soooooo GOOD!

Being a local I have heard a lot of good things about their local breakfast so you will sure to be seeing us again!!!

Highly recommended!