“Great if you're happy to share”
Review of Pig & Pastry

Pig & Pastry
Ranked #88 of 909 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We're just a little family run local cafe We're only small, but if you don't mind sharing a table, there's room for everyone We don't have table service and we don't have paper menus. (our menus are written up on the wall and they change regularly) The kitchen closes at 3pm, but you can still get coffee and cake after this time We are not part of a chain, there is no CEO creaming off the profits. We are just a little cafe doing our best, with the best ingredients we can get our hands on Guardian Top 50 Breakfasts UK 2017 The Times Top 25 2016 Buzzfeed Top 17 Things to Eat Before You Die Good Food Guide 2017 Hardens 2017 “It’s a bit of a squash, but once you’ve got in, you’ll get some excellently prepared local stuff” Now, lower your expectations and come on down!
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Share your table that is!
A busy place with large tables so 3 couples on my table. I was happy with this sociable, informal atmosphere but it wouldn't suit everyone.
Food and atmosphere great, service ok

1  Thank MayWYork

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have visited the Pig & Pastry twice. The first time I had egg and soldiers. They were presented very prettily and tasted good. The only drawback was that the shell was left on the eggs so it took ages to peel them off! My fiance had an amazing looking open sandwich which he was very happy with. The place was absolutely packed and was quite hectic and loud, but we managed to find seats. The lady who served us was friendly but you get the impression that they feel they don't have to try too hard. They didn't ask us how are meals were.
The second time I went here was with my friend and we went for the English breakfast. I was surprised at how expensive it was! It starts at £4.50 and thats just for bacon and eggs. I added sausages and beans so it came to over £6. The food was presented very nicely; the beans were piled into glass jars which was a nice touch and something i'd never come across! The sausages were AMAZING! And I'm not a big meat fan. The scrambled eggs were also very good. Again we just about managed to get a table; we originally sat down at a table with some people already sat at it but a couple vacated their table so we got our own in the end. This place is filled with mums and their babies! And there also seem to be a few grumpy old women about too. If you fancy somewhere quiet I wouldn't go here! Also, the prices are expensive for people like me who don't have heaps of cash, but it's nice as a treat.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The food at the Pig and Pastry is lovely and it would be a great place for lunch if the counter service could be sped up. It's all good and well that this is a community place, and the slow, chatty service is apptoprate for a weekend, but during the week, it's frustrating to wait 15 mins to order while the staff chat to customers in the queue about their kids/house being for sale/blah blah...

If the Pig and Pastry wants to develop its customer base beyond the 'regulars' they might want to either speed things up or employ more staff so that service and chatting can happen simultaneously. While we were editing a number if people came in, waited a few minutes (during which nothing happened) and then left to go to the new-ish cafe 3 doors down.

Also, the coffee is great but a free refill for filter coffee isn't the best offer if the queue to get a refill is prohibitively slow.

Overall, great food, even better cakes but in need of improvement in the service department.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

One of a kind cafe in York! Such tasty food & very friendly service! Would definitely recommend going for breakfast/brunch & the other tasty stuff that tempts you on the counter!

1  Thank Geh14
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We love coming to the pig & pastry, the staff are always extremely friendly and the food is delicious!
During the summer we have been frequent visitors with our dog so we sit outside which is always nice and relaxing