“Best breakfasts in York”
Review of Pig & Pastry

Pig & Pastry
Ranked #82 of 909 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We're just a little family run local cafe We're only small, but if you don't mind sharing a table, there's room for everyone We don't have table service and we don't have paper menus. (our menus are written up on the wall and they change regularly) The kitchen closes at 3pm, but you can still get coffee and cake after this time We are not part of a chain, there is no CEO creaming off the profits. We are just a little cafe doing our best, with the best ingredients we can get our hands on Guardian Top 50 Breakfasts UK 2017 The Times Top 25 2016 Buzzfeed Top 17 Things to Eat Before You Die Good Food Guide 2017 Hardens 2017 “It’s a bit of a squash, but once you’ve got in, you’ll get some excellently prepared local stuff” Now, lower your expectations and come on down!
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I've visited the Pig & Pastry for breakfast a handful of times, with each visit inadvertently stretching to well over an hour. The food ranges from rich to refreshing, the atmosphere is bustling and sociable, and I've never felt hurried in spite of the fact it's often chock-a-block. Bishopthorpe Road's best!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I go to Pig & Pastry every couple of weeks, and would recommend it to anyone. The food is delicious and such a good price. The only negatives are that at times it can be very busy (when you go frequently you do learn the busier times of the day) and that the food stops being served at 3pm, only because I wish they kept serving through til dinner! :)

The staff are lovely and although they do chat to regulars a lot they are also more than welcoming and chat to unfamiliar faces just as much!

All in all I would say it is one of the best places in York for a cheap, tasty bite to eat. (I would recommend the Bacon and Waffles for breakfast and the quiches and sausage rolls for lunch with their yummy salads!)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having just completed a 3 year course where I could visit the Pig and Pastry after class on a daily basis I realise how much I miss it now it is not just round the corner. I still visit for a drink and snack (and a chin wag) as much as possible but it's a long-ish car journey now - but worth it!
Great staff, superb food, always welcome. A real haven. Give it a try now!!
You must remember that it is very popular and you may well have to share your table!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Popped in for a late lunch one day and was pleasently surprised. The coffee was nice but not spectactular, the real gem was the food and service. Everyone was very friendly and I ended up wasting a couple of hours just chatting to the staff and other customers. A very enjoyable afternoon.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had been told by a good friend this was the best place to take my other half for a breakfast treat! having stayed at Hotel du vin around the corner. I don't mind sharing a table - the pub-esque feeling is all when and good, but being made to feel like you are in the way when they joined your table! The food was not seasoned nor was there S&P on the table, with a poor level of service it just left me wishing we had not made the effort :-( real shame as many folks have expressed the same feelings since visiting saying how good it used to be.

9  Thank annabel h