“A fantastic meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grill Room at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa - CLOSED

Grill Room at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean, British, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Grill Room at The Grand follows in the great tradition of hotel grill rooms, pioneered by such legendary properties as the Savoy and the Dorchester.Our Grill Room serves a menu of classic European cuisine in a stylish and welcoming setting. With beautiful views of the historic City Wall and York Minster, diners will enjoy the atmosphere as much as the menu.In addition to our extensive menu, The Grill Room also features a cheese trolley well stocked with exquisite choices from around the world, including British classic cheeses. Our portions are well-sized to ensure you feel fully satisfied at the end of your dining experience, and with both lunch and dinner options, you can choose the right dishes to suit your mood at any time of day.Dining in The Grill Room is an unforgettable experience which will delight and satisfy you, setting you up for an evening sight-seeing around York, continuing business discussions or simply retiring to The Grand Bar or Whisky Lounge to continue your evening of pampering!The Grill Room opening times:Lunch: Daily 12.30pm–2.30pmDinner: Daily 6.30pm–10pm
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A fantastic meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We booked a table for a meal on our first nights stay in the hotel which was our anniversary. We were greeted by a lovely lady who asked us if we would like a drink in the bar before our meal, this showed us that time would not be an issue, we opted to go straight to our table. The service throughout the meal was as attentive and ensured we had everything we could possibly need or wish for. I had the pork starter and Stewart went for the trio of salmon they were both spectacular visually and delicious our mains were also fantastic, I was to full to have a desert however Stew went for that as well and was not disappointed. We had a wonderful meal and the staff ensured it was a fabulous evening, we do not say in York however we will visit again and will book a table in the restaurant. Thanks to all the staff in the hotel for making our time a truly memorable one.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael T, Manager at Grill Room at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear CMCG01

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your dinner in our award winning Grill Room Restaurant.

I’m glad you thought both the food and service was excellent and I will of course pass on your feedback to our Head Chef.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Best Wishes

York, United Kingdom
“Excellent Yet Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was probably the best meal we have eaten in this restaurant. I cannot fault one thing. We both had the scallops and pork cheek (again!) a wonderful starter. My wife's smoked filet and my rib-eye were cooked to perfection, succulent and full of flavour.Service was professional and courteous caring for all our needs. Altogether, a wonderful evening that made up for a horrid day at work.

Dear Brian

Thank you once again for writing such a kind review on our restaurant here at The Grand. I know all the staff here always look forward to welcoming you back and always enjoy looking after you. Guests like you are the reason we all work in the industry. Once again it was our pleasure

Kind regards

York
“Fabulous food and service yet again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My last visit was for Sunday lunch to celebrate my mums 70th birthday and , as usual, the food and service were both excellent. They gave us the table I had requested and piped a personal message onto my mums dessert plate to wish her happy birthday. This was a lovely touch and shows the kind of attention to detail you can expect. The Sunday lunch is the best I have ever had anywhere and never fails to impress. The room is a beautiful blend of modern decor in a fabulous old building and although a 5* hotel, its never pretentious. I cant reccommend this restaurant enough and would be highly delighted to have Sunday lunch or afternoon tea any time (I really need to go one evening too!). I have bought gift vouchers for people so they can do the same and they always come back raving about it! The bar is also a beautiful room and serves excellent cocktails in fabulous surroundings. I live in York and this is currently my favourite eating venue!

Dear DanceMDM

Thank you very much for writing such a kind review on your experience. It’s great that you decided to celebrate a special birthday with us here at The Grand and our staff looked after you so well.
Considering all the great places to eat in York its very kind of you to say that we are your favourite and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Hopefully for dinner this time.

Kind Regards

Mike Thompson
Columbus, Ohio
“great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is an exceptional restaurant with exceptional service. The smoked steak, with foie gras, is spectacular.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael T, Manager at Grill Room at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear 3275

Best Wishes
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“5* food for a 5* hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

me and my partner stayed at the hotel and decided to also treat ourselves at the restaurant which didnt disappoint the food was amazing and the choice of wine is endless!
The only critisism would be although they cater for vegetarians they don't actually show this! they have a menu beside reception which only indicted one main course for vegetarians which was the wild mushroom risotto but when we asked at reception they had a seperate vegetarian menu they brought out for me to look at which has a few items to select from. But once again when we went for our meal we were just handed the normal menu and had to ask for the vegetarian menu again. It would eb better if they gave you both menus or actually just put the few vegetarian dishes on the normal menu.
Aside from the the meal was lovely my partner had a huge T Bone steak (Yes he's no vegetarian!!) he assured me if was lovely! Our glasses were constantly topped up throughtout our meal until we finished and we got slightly neglated we still had a full bottle of prosecco and to empty glasses for about 15 mins.
Also when paying the bill we werent given the change although my partner deliberately put down extra money to leave a tip. He tipped them £18 which was his intention but they kinda didnt give him a choice when they never actually came back with the change! As i say it didnt matter to us as he was giving them the tip anyway but not everyone would want to tip that much and its just polite to offer someone there change. I think it was just an error on someones part and that this isnt usually how they operate!
Apart from a couple of tiny critisims I would highly recommend this grill especially if you are staying at the hotel it adds to the experience! I would love to return.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Cheryl H

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our Grill Room restaurant here at The Cedar Court Grand.

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your food and service and had an enjoyable evening. Our vegetarian menu is something we have only just brought in and that is why it is separate to our main grill room menu. In the future I believe it will all be incorporated onto one menu. As for our member of staff not giving you your change back I do apologise. It is our standard here to always give change back in full to the guest and I will be speaking to the team regarding this.
I do hope you choose to dine with us again in the future and on behalf of all of our staff here thank you once again for the review.

Regards