“Great Place in York”

Grill Room at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean, British, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Grill Room at The Grand follows in the great tradition of hotel grill rooms, pioneered by such legendary properties as the Savoy and the Dorchester.Our Grill Room serves a menu of classic European cuisine in a stylish and welcoming setting. With beautiful views of the historic City Wall and York Minster, diners will enjoy the atmosphere as much as the menu.In addition to our extensive menu, The Grill Room also features a cheese trolley well stocked with exquisite choices from around the world, including British classic cheeses. Our portions are well-sized to ensure you feel fully satisfied at the end of your dining experience, and with both lunch and dinner options, you can choose the right dishes to suit your mood at any time of day.Dining in The Grill Room is an unforgettable experience which will delight and satisfy you, setting you up for an evening sight-seeing around York, continuing business discussions or simply retiring to The Grand Bar or Whisky Lounge to continue your evening of pampering!The Grill Room opening times:Lunch: Daily 12.30pm–2.30pmDinner: Daily 6.30pm–10pm
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Place in York”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had a meal in the Grill Room before we had to head for a train. Food was five star and the service was as good. Great atmosphere and a warm greeting on arrival. The pre drinks in the lounge started the evening very well. The decor is superb and we will be visiting many times again.

• Visited December 2012
Michael T, Manager at Grill Room at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent meal in our Award Winning Grill Room Restaurant
I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

doncaster
“Extremely poor Sunday lunch”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel does not live up to the hype on Tripadvisor. We booked Sunday lunch for 6 adults based on the reviews,I find it hard to believe that people have eaten here as what we had was very poor. We were booked in for 2.30pm at 2.50pm nobody had brought menu's or acknowledged that we were even there, When we finally got in the restaurant we had our starter which was ok, when the main meal came which we all had beef there was 1 sprout and a few tasteless pieces of turnip or swede it was so insignificant we were unable to tell what it was. I do not like being overfaced with food but this was ridiculous. When we came to order pudding we had a choice of ice cream, pana cotta, cheese or pineapple soup. When we came to order we asked for pana cotta only to be advised they had run out. This was a December day in a 5 star hotel serving Sunday lunch and the only puddings they had were cold and then the only one we wanted was sold out. What a surprise it was the only one worth considering. When we asked for coffee and petit fours we were advised they don't do have any chocolates this is a 5 star hotel supposedly. When I mentioned our concern to the Manager they were not interested. This hotel might be doing well now but they certainly are not bothered about generating repeat business we will not be visiting again. We were going to book New Year's Eve here but have decided to go to Rudding Park which is a hotel that knows how to look after their customers.

4 Thank lovesgoingonholiday
Michael T, Manager at Grill Room at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Lovesgoingonholiday

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our Grill Room restaurant here at The Cedar Court Grand.

Obviously it is disappointing to read that you didn’t enjoy your Sunday lunch with us here. I’m sorry that no one came and brought you menus but did you let the members of staff in our hotel bar know that you were dining in the restaurant? I find it very hard to believe that you were sat waiting for 20 minutes without being served at all. If it was myself I would have mentioned to someone that I was booked in for lunch and asked for menus. Either way this is not our usual standard so for that I am sorry.

With regards to your roast beef dinner we don’t like to over face our dinners with mounds of vegetables but if you didn’t think you had enough all you had to do was ask for a few more and our experienced and well trained staff would have happily got you some.

As for running out of one of the desserts on our menu for this I do apologise. Our chefs make everything fresh each day and on the odd occasion they do run out of certain items.

It is very disappointed to read that you believe the management here are uninterested as this is not the case at all. We always try our best to look after guests and ensure they have an enjoyable experience with us here at The Grand. We understand it is not always possible to please everyone but we do try our best and from reading all the positive reviews we have on our main hotels trip advisor page and also the Grill and Afternoon Tea pages we know we are doing something right.

Also as an ex Rudding Park employee I do personally know how to look after my guests.

Kind regards
Preston, United Kingdom
“Nice but not 5 star dining”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a restaurant seems to be trying very hard to gain Michelin status but just falling short. The service was faultless but the food did not live up to the high standards we expected. The canapes we were served were delicious leading us to believe we were going to eat some of the best food we'd had in a while. The scallop and pork cheek starter was tasty and the Moroccan pigeon dish was lovely. It was the mains that let the meal down. My rabbit dish was presented beautifully but was just a bit lacking in flavour. My husband enjoyed his steak but wasn't blown away. We enjoyed the meal on the whole but felt that the cost of the meal (£100 for 2 courses- not including a bottle of wine) was not really worth it and the lack of atmosphere made it a slightly awkward dining experience.

1 Thank chreoni
Dear Chreoni

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your meal in our Award Winning Restaurant.

It’s nice to hear that you think we are trying to get a Michelin star but I can assure you we’re not. We just try to deliver fantastic locally sourced food with good quality service. We gained 2 AA rosettes over a year ago now and we are looking to progress all the time.
On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand thank you once again for your review.

Stirling, Scotland
“A memorable evening”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Precision and skill in the kitchen, professional service in the dining room, and a relaxing atmosphere: all the ingredients of an enjoyable occasion. We really enjoyed visiting The Grill Room for dinner; and were particularly impressed by the attention to detail, the mixture of classic and contemporary dishes on the menu, and the wonderful flavours in every course. The 'extra touches' made the evening all the more special.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your meal in our Award Winning Restaurant.
I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout and that both the cuisine and service surpassed your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all of our team.

York, United Kingdom
“One of the Best Meals of my Life”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having previously been in the restaurant business I cast a critical eye over any current experience of dining out. All I can say about my recent visit to The Grillroom at Cedar Court is "faultless". A very special evening for my wife and I was enhanced by immaculate service and superb cuisine. From the wonderful canapes and scallop with pork cheek starter, to my wife's steak ("one of the best steaks I have ever eaten") and my delightful and tasty sea bass, concluding with a dessert from Heaven, everything was perfect. Even as I am writing I am saying to myself "was it really that good?" and the answer from both my wife and myself is "Yes, it was"
Our Gewurztraminer was outstanding!!
P.S. And the cheese trolley is to die for.

1 Thank Brian G
Dear Brian

As you know working in this industry can be tough at times but reading reviews like this makes you realise why we do it.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand thank you once again for your review and it was very nice to personally meet you on your last dinner with us.