“Some 5 star hotels could benefit from employing the staff here.”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We arrived on Saturday late morning,fully expecting to drop our bags and make our way to the Races.After our greeting from a very pleasant reception staff member we were unexpectedly told our room was ready.The room was tidy and had all we needed as we were only a one night stay and the majority of Saturday was going to be spent at the Races.The hotel is fantastically placed for the Racecourse and after a relaxing 15 minute walk across the course which actually was very exciting ,we arrived at the course entrance.After the Races we popped back to the hotel for a couple of drinks at the well-stocked bar.Service was good at the bar.Breakfast is available until 11am on a Sunday and it was well presented and the service staff were again very good.A note should be said that the shower in the Room wasn't very good but it eventually did the job !I would say that this is a well located hotel for a visit to York whether thats for the Races or the city itself.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karl E
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Karl E
I was delighted to read your review and I felt very proud of the level of service your received from our team. I will be sharing your comments with them, these will make a great impact upon their job satisfaction. I am pleased you found the hotel to be in a convenient location for both the races and the city. I hope your day at the races was a successful one.
Many thanks

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here during grand depart weekend. Great location for racecourse. Plenty of parking for residents paricularly useful for us as York busy during tour de france. Basicslly as you eould expect from a holiday inn. Thirty minute walk to city centre but plenty of buses pass nearby. I know first buses 4,12 and 13 go into city.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Graham N
I am pleased you found the hotel to be in a good location with easy access to the racecourse and the city centre. I hope you enjoyed Le Grand Depart, this was truly a memorable occasion for the city.
Many thanks for reviewing your stay.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here at the end of June and were very happy with our stay. Reception staff were vey helpful, looking up cinema information for us for a rainy evening! Breakfast was plentiful, rooms comfortable and clean, this in conjunction with the location made this a good choice for us. Buses into York are frequent and stops are close to the hotel. Great trip - thanks!

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Eliazabeth
Many thanks for reviewing your stay, I am pleased you found the hotel to be in a good location with each access to the city and you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and our team to be helpful with local information.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My wife and I are Holiday Inn Priority Club card holders and can honestly say that the room we were allocated in this hotel was not Holiday Inn standard. It was very poor. The room smelt musty and was in need of some TLC. The bar area was fine and the food in the restaurant was good. The staff were nice and pleasant....however the overall impression of the hotel was that it was 'tired'...no I don't think we will be back

Room Tip: Not sure..my advice book somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank keith21
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Keith21
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Holiday Inn York, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your meals at the hotel and found our team to be friendly. I am extremely sorry for your feeling towards the hotel please be assured it is our priority to deliver a great stay to all of our guests. Should you be returning to York in the near future, I would be delighted if you would allow us to be of service to you again, upon making your reservation please bring your Trip Advisor feedback to our attention and we will ensure you have a great stay.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed the night at the Holiday Inn for with my wife. The location of the hotel was great as Stage 2 of the Tour de France was just a stone throws away.

Friendly staff at reception. Room was nice. No complaints.

Has supper at the bar - the burger was excellent. Very tasty. The steak baguette was really good too!

Also had breakfast the next morning. Breakfast was great. Had all the usual you would expect.

When checking out they gave everyone a yellow tulip (For the TdF) - was a nice touch.

Will def stay here again. Cheap and great location.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greg M
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Greg M
I am so pleased you had an enjoyable stay and you found the hotel team to be friendly and enjoyed the bar food you were served and our breakfast offering. Yorkshire's Grand Depart was a spectacular event and we were all very proud to be involved in the second stage of the Tour de France.
Many thanks for your review.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Have not stayed here before this time, but I like the brand and am an IHG card holder. Lovely quiet hotel situated in the Plockton suburb of York, which seems like a nice residential area. Ample free car parking and situated within wLking distance of York race course. Good restaurant and reasonable, if a little limited, bar food.

Rooms exactly what you would expect: clean, secure and reasonable facilities. Buffet breakfast selection very good and all quite freshly cooked, despite being fairly quiet.

All in all, a good hotel, in a nice location for visits to York City or the races and I'm sure I'll be back again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear George R
Delighted to read that you have stayed with us before and you are intending to come back again in the future. Many thanks for your review and I am pleased you enjoy our quiet location but still find us in a convenient position for the city centre.
I look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
With Kind Regards

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our third visit here, solely because of the location & free parking. Hotel is so tired, our room (419) had the towel rail in the bathroom literally hanging off the wall. Fridge door loose, three tatty tea bags.
The hotel is currently up for sale & it appears that the management have given up. Basic maintenance matters are being ignored.
Staff are un-motivated. When we were checking in, another customer enthusiastically asked the receptionist if the Tour de France would be passing close by. She just shrugged and mumbled 'I think so...dunno'.
Breakfast ok but no eggs, apparently they were 'being cooked', and the much heralded pancake machine was out of order.
On the plus side, it is clean and the free parking is a massive bonus, a 5 minute bus ride into the city & the car can be left for free in the car park.
It's definitely in limbo waiting for a buyer...wont be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear loulouham
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you found the hotel to be in a good location with easy access to the city, and the convenience of leaving your car in our free car park was a bonus for you. I am sorry for your feelings towards our team Members, I am most concerned and shocked to learn of your observations as this is not typical of our usual complimentary feedback which our team receives. I would like to assure you despite the changes which are occurring within the company, at the Holiday Inn York it is our absolute priority to deliver a great stay for all of our guests. Please be assured your feedback is being used in a constructive manner.