“Yuk!, grubby spoons and cups!”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I came up to York on a business trip and was booked in by our booking agent. When i got to my room i unpacked and thought i'd have a cuppa before heading for a walk into the city. I was shocked to find dirty spoons a grubby kettle and cups that had clearly been just rinsed out. So it put me off using the equipment and i reported it to reception. Later when i returned back to the hotel i was pleased to see the spoons etc had been cleaned or replaced but on further inspection i noticed that the room was quite dusty in places and in fact wrote "Clean me!" in the dust on the shelf above the coathangers and on the trouser press. The hotel's housekeeping obviously needs something to be desired although my be was nice and clean even if the bed linen and the towels had spent far too long in a tumble drier and had that burnt cotton smell.....not pleasant!.. For a tall chap the showers were obviously made for people who were vertically challenged and only came up to my breast height. On the plus side they are the first hotel i have come across that can actually toast brown bread at breakfast...well done! and a huge thank you for that. Perhaps they can train other hotels around the country how to do it, but it let itself down by the waitress whipping my plate away as soon as i put the last fork full of food in my mouth...far too keen to clear things up...would i stay here again?.....after this experience probably not and would stay in the hotel just up the road next time I'm in York which will be only a few weeks time ....sorry Holiday Inn you let yourselves down..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul C
HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Paul C
I would like to sincerely apologise for the poor housekeeping which was evident in your room, I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our usual high standard of either our hotel or the Holiday Inn as a brand. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you further and would be ever so grateful if you were able to contact myself direct at the hotel on 01904 777554.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn York

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from 2 night stay with Hubby and 4yr old Grandson, were given discount following a previous bad stay by my Hubby, room was clean, but bed had to be the most uncomfortable I have ever slept/ not slept in, definitely needs replacing, bathroom small and bath chipped.
had free evening meal which I have to say was very nice, wine a little pricey.
Staff were very friendly and were really good with our Grandson.
Would stay again but not sure if had to pay the price which was advertised at reception.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear chrissieberry
Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable evening meal and you found our team to be friendly. I am sorry you found the mattress to be uncomfortable, Holiday Inn Hotels are supplied with a high quality branded mattress which are frequently replaced ,due to your findings please be assured I will be inspecting the mattress in your room to accelerate its replacement. For your future stays do please use the contact details given to you in our previous communications with you.
I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.
With Kind Regards

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Arrived with friends from Canada for a three night break in York. We had nice rooms, very clean and comfortable beds. Bathroom a bit cramped.
All the staff we met were very pleasant and helpful.
We had dinner on two night,the food was very good. The Malaysian girl who served us was really excellent, she was so good at her job.
The breakfasts we had were good, especially the make your own pancakes.
All in all very satisfied with The Holiday Inn York.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear clarkbill
I was delighted to read your review and so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with your friends at the Holiday Inn York. Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our team, these will be shared with everyone with a special mention to Riyaza. Our pancake machine is great and very popular with everyone; I am pleased you enjoyed your meals at the hotel.

Many thanks

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I checked in at holiday inn on the 30th -31st of August 2013 . On Arrive I was greeted with a polite young women behind the desk who asked me for my Details and she offered me a upgrade which I refused or tho I did get offered a free news paper which I was very happy to accept . This is my very first time I stayed in a Hoilday inn and I was very impressed we got a family room and a twin room with connected door very handy for larger families . we got standard rooms which were nicely spec' we got a modern clean room with flat screen tv . Iron with Ironing board soft fluffy pillows with a choice of pillows cater to your needs just a simply ring down stairs and they Brought up two lovely duck feather pillows which were fantastic . The Bathroom was really nice and the baths were so deep and had no trouble filling up in next to no time very handy when your in a rush . The Next Morning The Breakfast was fantastic The pancakes were to die for also the coffee ummhmm it was so good and even a pot of tea was fantastic ,. I have to say love the place I shall be returning very soon again ! Lovely staff Excellent food and good night sleep just what you want

Room Tip: Get Connected Rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BenjaminRobinson1983

Dear BenjaminRobinson1983
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you had a wonderful time and the hotel provided everything you required along with good service allowing you to have a great sleep. The addition of a pancake machine at breakfast is very popular with everyone, I am pleased you enjoyed them along with a good cup of coffee.
Kind Regards

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for one night, very friendly staff on arrival and throughout the stay rooms clean and spacious , breakfast just fab !!! Would stay again perfect for races ! Family friendly . just outside city centre. Taxi for 5 was a tenner to the station.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Majorcamaid
Thank you ever so much for your review, I was pleased to read we delivered a great stay and you found the hotel to be family friendly. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the hotel.
With kind regards

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The hotel is out of town but well served by buses and taxis. The building is a typical 1960s concrete block with clumsy new double glazed windows. The grounds were well kept and attractive. Parking was easy.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful.

We had an executive room which seems to offer a huge bed but little else. The bathroom was small, pokey and dated. The tiny heated towel rail couldn't possible cope with more than a medium towel for one. The air con was quiet and efficient.

Room service was quick and efficient although the tray left mid afternoon was still there at midnight.

The bar was poorly stocked (no Cinzano), very expensive and with an inexperienced barman who refused a customer a Bloody Mary on the grounds it was a cocktail. The customer finally got a vodka with tomato juice mixer!

The restaurant was bland, uninviting and very noisy. It was OK for the usual breakfast free for all. For dinner we went over to the Fox & Roman pub opposite and had a lovely meal in a warm cozy atmosphere. Quite a few other hotel guests seem to have the same idea! It was relatively cheap too!

I ordered the Sunday Times but on Saturday morning got The Sun and The Times (DOH!) I returned these unread but they still appeared on the bill, although quickly removed when queried by me.

My other gripe is the charges for WiFi in an executive room. Give us a break, every greasy spoon in town offers free WiFi.

Overall the stay was expensive when considering breakfast was extra! The confusing website seems to suggest breakfast included. Holiday Inn needs to raise it's game.

Room Tip: Only value for money if you on a discounted offer. Executive rooms more expensive with huge bed but...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SilverBeemer
HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear SilverBeemer

Thank you for review of the Holiday Inn York. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be served well by local transport and our team to be friendly and helpful.
Your comments are very much appreciated; these will be reviewed by the whole team to help us make improvements going forward.

With kind regards

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a lovely couple of nights and really impressed with how helpful the staff were. A special mention for Nicki on Reception. She could couldn't do enough for us giving us lots of help & information. The Holiday Inn should be proud to have somebody so customer focussed.
Great breakfast choice again. A lovely place to stop,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear paulmcgov3
I am delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us. Many thanks for your kind comments regarding our team, I have shared these with them and in particular Nikki who was delighted to receive a mention; this has made a great impact on her job satisfaction. We do have a great team in York and I very much appreciate your comments and recognition of this.

Many thanks