“great small cafe eatery...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hairy Fig

The Hairy Fig
Ranked #92 of 860 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Cafe, British, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
York, United Kingdom
“great small cafe eatery...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

behind the quirky shop is an equally quirky cafe.... lovely atmosphere and pleasant service. Interesting food choices and platters are great... and do try the figs!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Jon b

York, England, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

This shop has a great range of deli items. I managed to find something I had searched York for, lavender jelly!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Louise D
Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unexpected delight tucked away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Happened upon the Hairy Fig by chance. We were in York on Saturday 8th December just looking around the shops and came across this fabulous deli and chocolate shop. The tiny (it only had four tables, which could accommodate only 13 people max) was tucked away right at the back of the shop. It was eclectic, old fashioned china and mismatched furniture with what appeared to be am impossibly small area to prepare food. The staff of two were lovely and the food was exceptionally good, amazing that they could product such good results in such a very tiny space. Not a massive choice of food, more snack size than full meals, but really varied choices of different tastes and everything we saw looked great and was received well by everyone. Teas and coffees were also very good. I would definitely recommend this place but would suggest that you might have to be prepared to wait for a table and visiting at different times of day other than lunchtime might be a good idea.

• Visited December 2012
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best cafe and deli in York. Our favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My daughter and I visited the cafe and deli today. The food and service was excellent, I had red soup with gorgeous bread, the green soup is lovely too. Martha had a toasty and chocolate cake, and for dessert I had crumble with ice cream, lovely. The chef is great. Look forward to going back as always.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank MarlieRose
Little snoring
“I want to live here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Back again a year later, apprehensive in case it's changed or we can't get a seat.

Empty!! And same chef (Steve?) with same excellent food.

A pot of tea each (seems to only come in large; isn't Yorkshire wonderful), locally made raisin bagel for my wife, and a bacon, chorizo and mushroom roll for me. All perfect.

The menu for lunch looked wonderful but we had to leave York before then.

I can't understand why they make so much effort for so few covers, but I'm glad they do.

Obviously had to buy a few things in the marvellous deli before we left. I'm glad I'm not interested in chocolate because their selection looked fascinating.

• Visited November 2012