All reviews long gallery york minster clarins toiletries treasurer's house steeped in history edwards room recommend grays copper bath furnished with antiques wonderful building walled garden york walls old city walls wedding venue modern bathroom public areas eggs benedict
Reviewed February 9, 2017

I doubt there is a better location in York. It is central for everything, with the Minster less than a minute away & the Shambles less than 10 mins. You can see the wall from the bedroom as well.
We stayed two nights and had planned to have dinner in the hotel the first night and then eat elsewhere the second night, but the food was so good we stayed in the second night. The restaurant is very classy and relaxing. The chef (a lovely guy from the Philippines) is a real asset to this place. Don't be put off by the short menu. It is all of an extremely high standard.
The historic features of the building are stunning.
Breakfast was lovely. I had the porridge with berries, warm maple syrup and a whisky! Oh, my goodness, it was delicious.
This is not a cheap place to stay, but it's one of those charming places where you feel you have had very good value for money. I will definitely be back soon.
It is well worth booking one of the parking places as York, like many places is not easy with a car.

Room Tip: If you prefer a shower, check first as some only have a bath
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
Helen H, Owner at Grays Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2017

Thank you so much for your lovely review. You shall have to come back and try our new menu!

Reviewed February 3, 2017

I’ve procrastinated writing this review because Grays Court is a lovely hotel and I never thought I'd be submitting a less-than-stellar account of the place. The public and private rooms are beautiful, the wait staff is very helpful, and the location near-perfect. However, my 4th stay here was marred by a similar “system error with[the] online booking system” to the one a previous reviewer (Steve G) experienced.
In September, 2016, I used the online booking system to reserve a room for three nights in December – and received swift confirmation that my reservation had been accepted. However, 18 days later – after I had made train reservations for a return trip from London to York – I received an email informing me that due to a “system error with our online booking system” the hotel was unable to honor the first night of my reservation because “A guest of ours booked all of the rooms many months ago for a large Christmas function.” Seriously? It took them 18 days to discover this “error?”
I was informed that, by way of an apology, I would be offered a “complimentary bottle of fizz in your room.” Alas, I’m not a fan of “fizz” and so respectfully declined this offer – but, to my surprise, was neither offered nor given any other consolation. I had to re-arrange my out-going travel plans, which caused me extra expense, but decided to keep the remaining 2 days of my reservation as I had enjoyed my previous stays.
Upon leaving the hotel in December, I expressed my disappointment to the gentleman at check-out, but was taken aback by his obvious indifference to my complaint. Similarly, there was no response to my indication of irritation after completing an email survey sent by the hotel after my stay.
So, in short – great hotel, but be very cautious about booking online and/or having your reservation honored. It is with regret that I shall not risk booking a room at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank aet51
Helen H, Owner at Grays Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2017

I'm so sorry to hear that you were disappointed on your visit to us. Please rest assured that the member in staff in question has been pulled up on this matter as I would be just as frustrated as you. With regards to the booking system, we have made the decision to remove ourselves from the majority of external, larger booking sites and focus just on our own system with the help of another booking channel, which we have very high expectations for. This should hopefully rectify the small amount of booking issues that we (and our customers) experience.
We take our customer comments very seriously, so please do contact me directly at helen@grayscourtyork.com if you wish to discuss anything in more detail.

Reviewed February 3, 2017

We recently stayed at the Grays Court Hotel when our daughter was graduating at York University. My first impressions was this was a beautiful, well maintained building in lovely grounds, but what was to follow made our stay one of the most pleasurable we have had in York. This period property is stunning inside and ALL of the staff are so attentive, friendly, professional and warming we knew our few days there would be one to remember. The receptionist and bar/restaurant staff could not do enough to make our stay more comfortable, they were all brilliant. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the Eggs Benedict for breakfast superb, Chef I highly commend and recommend you. However, what made our stay most memorable was the occasion when our daughter lost her silver bracelet, she was gutted as this was a present that was of great sentimental value. We approached a young Polish lady who not only cleaned the rooms but served in the restaurant also. She immedialty told us that she had found the bracelet and had safely deposited it in an envelope in reception. Our daughter was made up when it was returned safely and her graduation week was complete. We cannot thank this young lady enough for her honesty, integrity and kindness, she is indeed a credit to the Grays Court Hotel and is the reason we cannot recommend this location highly enough and the reason we will return. Can the owner please add a word of thanks and words of commendation in this ladies personnel file for outstanding service. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a bath ensuite, very relaxing.
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family

What a fantastic review, thank you so much. I'll be sure to pass on your thanks to the staff involved, and we will absolutely be commending Gosia on her service.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2017 via mobile

My partner and I got married here on Saturday 28th January 2017.

It's was absolutely perfect. The events organiser Rhiannon and the rest of the staff were attentive, friendly and accommodating.

With little direction they gave is everything we wanted and more. The setting was beautiful, the food was phenomenal and the service was amazing.
Our friends and family had a wonderful time and are still raving about how lovely it was.

Rhiannon made us feel like nothing was too much trouble and stayed calm and enthusiastic through the whole day, even when we panicked!
She recommended a lovely band and a photographer that we couldn't be happier with.

I also can't thank Rhiannon, Abby and the rest of the team enough for looking after my grandparents. My grandma was very unwell and has Parkinson's and they took care of them so well.

Grays court is a luxury wedding venue that you might dismiss if you don't have a big budget. However they are extremely flexible and you get so much for your money. Plus you really can't put a price on what a wonderful experience they provide.

I just wish we could do it all again!

Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple

What a truly wonderful review. Thank you so much! We hope to see you again really soon!

Reviewed January 24, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful historic hotel within earshot of the romantic Minster bells.
Hotel was cosy and welcoming, room was warm and inviting. Fabulous Clarins accessories in the bathroom. Staff are friendly and helpful.
So enjoyed my birthday weekend here. Would love to return very soon!
Thank you to all the staff at the hotel that made this stay so perfect!

Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
Helen H, Owner at Grays Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2017

Thank you for your review. I'm so happy that you chose to spend your birthday weekend with us and that you enjoyed your stay.