We've just got back from a weekend at Gray's Court and the whole experience has been rather reminiscent of Fawlty Towers. However, in the spirit of saying something positive first, the location is fabulous for a York city break, and one of the young waitresses at dinner was courtesy personified - although I suspect she was becoming increasingly embarrassed at the catalogue of disasters that just kept on coming..
1. Wine we wanted was off that evening
2. Main course I wanted was sold out that evening
3. We were brought someone else's peppermint tea when we were halfway through our starters (at which point, the giggles set in)
4.We were brought someone else's main course
5.Lights fused when I was in the loo (verging on serious laughter now) plunging me into pitch darkness
6.Asked if someone was seeing to us and was there anything we wanted by a random young person (? member of the family) in glittery crop top and leggings (by now, uncontrollable)
7.On check-out next morning, card machine not working. This turned out to be because the girl on reception had not got hold of the right one - which was located just after husband returned from cashpoint with wads of cash (ceasing to be funny now.....)
Well, you get the picture - and all this was after the room we originally booked turned out to be double-booked, so we had been allocated another! Was Gray's Court just having an 'off' weekend? Maybe we'll try it again in a year or so, and find out!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating back to 1080, and nestled in the heart of the exclusive Minster Quarter, Grays Court is truly a hidden gem. Luxurious accommodation in a historic house your visit will be unforgetable. Quiet and secluded in almost an acre of grounds, we are a few short minutes from the bustle of the city centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grays Court Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.