“Oops!!”
Review of Grays Court Hotel

Grays Court Hotel
Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We've just got back from a weekend at Gray's Court and the whole experience has been rather reminiscent of Fawlty Towers. However, in the spirit of saying something positive first, the location is fabulous for a York city break, and one of the young waitresses at dinner was courtesy personified - although I suspect she was becoming increasingly embarrassed at the catalogue of disasters that just kept on coming..
1. Wine we wanted was off that evening
2. Main course I wanted was sold out that evening
3. We were brought someone else's peppermint tea when we were halfway through our starters (at which point, the giggles set in)
4.We were brought someone else's main course
5.Lights fused when I was in the loo (verging on serious laughter now) plunging me into pitch darkness
6.Asked if someone was seeing to us and was there anything we wanted by a random young person (? member of the family) in glittery crop top and leggings (by now, uncontrollable)
7.On check-out next morning, card machine not working. This turned out to be because the girl on reception had not got hold of the right one - which was located just after husband returned from cashpoint with wads of cash (ceasing to be funny now.....)

Well, you get the picture - and all this was after the room we originally booked turned out to be double-booked, so we had been allocated another! Was Gray's Court just having an 'off' weekend? Maybe we'll try it again in a year or so, and find out!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JaneyWEngland
HHeraty, Owner at Grays Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Hi there,

I quite understand your comments, but let me expand please. We were not able to offer the room you initially booked due to an overbooking. Very occasionally this happens but we had advised you of this before and removed the charge for parking as compensation. Elizabeth Gray is an equally nice room, albeit without the four poster.

We had run out of the wine you ordered, but Shaun went through the list and offered an alternative wine of a similar style. I have quizzed the staff both front and back of house and they are adamant that you did get the main course you wanted.

With regards to the lights, I quite understand your point of view, and I apologise for the inconvenience. A light was turned on, the bulb blew and that tripped the circuit. It was put back on in the time it took me to get from the ground to second floor to flip the trip switch. The electrical circuits are very sensitive, and this was simply an accident. Whilst inconvenient, some things just can't be helped.

The glittery young lady in question is a delightful girl who has recently started working here. It is her first part time job as she is still at school. She was here attending my daughter's birthday party. When I realised that she was falling into work mode, despite her inappropriate attire, both Shaun and I reminded her she was off duty. This must have been disconcerting for you. She was trying to be helpful, and we have explained the reasons why she must draw a line between being here to work or as a guest.

I am really sorry for the failure of the card machine, which clearly caused you considerable inconvenience. However, as a goodwill gesture, you were not charged for your meal or drinks but only accommodation.

I find it frustrating when things go wrong for our guests, and welcome feedback, whether it be good or bad. I hope I have addressed all the issues you have raised with the staff to ensure that there is no bad feeling, and I hope you return to Grays Court in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Grays Court is the most amazingly atmospheric, perfectly located grade I listed hotel and venue in York and possibly the country!
As a York city centre resident I do not need to stay over, but wish I did! I have taken visiting friends of every age for coffee, lunch or drinks here and all have, quite rightly, been enchanted.
Grays court is owned and run by a delightful family and as a result everything feels-and is-'genuine'.
Accessed by the cobbled street down the side of the Treasurer's House the superb courtyard, enchanting interior and wonderful garden are simply too good to miss.
The walls tell many amazing stories over the centuries and the present incumbents have their own remarkable and unfolding story to add to them. Go and discover Grays Court for yourself!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank vivacious1
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

My son and his (new) wife recently held their Civil Ceremony at Gray's Court, York. What a good choice. A perfect venue full of history and charm. Excellent food (lunch) for the private meal. Super, comfortable, large room (for the bride and groom) overlooking the gardens and city walls of York. Friendly staff and excellent organisation, thanks to Rhianon. Great gardens for the obligatory photographs. I hope the bride and groom enjoyed their day as much as we did!

We have also had morning coffees and light lunches at the wonderful old town house. As always, excellent quality, service and comfort

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Xerones
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have just spent one night at this lovely hotel, it was a special birthday treat from my family.
If you like very old hotels then this is the one for you.
With the most beautiful gardens, and fabulous oak panelling in the long gallery and stained glass windows, the atmosphere just throws you right back into the middle ages.
I was greeted by the lovely ''Shaun'',who showed me to my room (Fairfax) and even though it was only 11:30am it was ready for me to go into right away, which was nice as I could leave my overnight bag and explore York.
Shaun explained where everything was, and left me to it, so I quickly freshened up and set off to walk round all the lovely shops.
I was very lucky, the weather was warm and the sun shining, I couldn't have asked for more.
When I got back to the hotel around 5pm, I went straight to my room and ran the huge standing bath and had a good soak, it was heaven!!.
The bed was a double and very comfortable. I had asked for a lightweight duvet, but when it came to bedtime I found it to be the normal 15 tog, so far too heavy and warm for me but this was the only oversight on the hotels part.
Fortunately I was facing the gardens and could open the sash windows really wide to cool me down, and to say I was within York's city walls it was very quiet.
The bed was very comfortable.
I had dinner in the ''posh'' dining room, it was cosy with soft music playing in the background and didn't feel at all out of place with being on my own.
The waitress was lovely, I ordered 'Benjamin's Suprise' for starters, which was a mixture of mackerel, pasta and cheese topping it was delicious, in fact with the hot roll and butter I could have made that my meal it was so filling and tasty.
For the main I had lamb which was very tender, along with potato and two veg. and a wonderful sauce to compliment the lamb.
The whole meal was delightful as was the setting, I was sorry to have to leave!.
I went to my room around 9pm, and watched TV for a while then prepared for bed, the bed was comfortable but I was far too hot under the thick duvet, but felt it was far too late to phone housekeeping to change it.
The breakfast was in another beautiful room which looked out onto the gardens, there were the usual yogurts, cereals and juices to help yourself, the fresh orange juice was beautiful, and exactly what it said FRESH.
The lovely Shaun served me and I asked for bacon two fried eggs and one sausage, as I was still pretty full from the night before, it was soon on the table exactly as I had asked for, well done bacon and two tasty fresh eggs.
Shaun took the time to have a chat, he is a delightful young man and made me feel very comfortable with me being on my own.
I was sorry to leave this hotel, and when I go back for an overnight stay I will not hesitate to book there again.
Helen was on reception when I left, and I suggested that it would be nice to have some history of the hotel in the guests rooms, she said she was complying interesting facts about the hotel herself and asked if I would like her to run off a copy for me, I said yes and she was back within five minutes with a sheaf of papers all about the hotels which I have really enjoyed reading since I got home.
So, if you would like a quiet, cosy, good food hotel within the ancient city of York, then give Gray's Court a try, it is well worth the money.

Room Tip: Book one facing the beautiful gardens.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank DoncasterYorkie
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Grays Court is a very special place to my Husband and I for lots and lots of reasons, many more than I could possibly cover in a trip advisor review- but I'll try...

We live a short walk from Grays and have spent many a relaxed summers evening enjoying a bottle of wine in the stunning walled garden or cosied up for a cup of tea beside the log fire in the reception area in the winter. From our first visit we fell in love with both the building, the surroundings and the family and staff behind it.

And so when my Husband decided to propose to me, it felt absolutely right that he should arrange the proposal at Grays Court, with a brass quartet emerging from the balcony as we took it all in from the grounds below. We were made to feel incredibly special by everyone at Grays Court, with the events coordinator taking photos, champagne delivered on cue and hugs of congratulations from the team and the family.

There was never any contest for a more fitting venue for our wedding. We had always dreamt of a grand backdrop for our big day, somewhere that from the very outset set the tone for the day. But we also wanted a place where we wouldn't be on a conveyor belt of weddings, it had to be personal to us. And we had grand plans for decorating the venue and making it our own...

Whereas so many wedding venues have strict rules about decorations, drinks, food and everything in between, working together with Rhiannon the Events Coodinator at Grays Court, we were able to put together exactly what we wanted for the big day from scratch.

Want to decorate the lions on the gates? No problem! Individual hand raised pies for the wedding breakfast? Consider it done! Confetti on the lawn, parasols in the garden, bunting strung in every direction, a welsh choir singing to the wedding party from the Bar Walls, fizz flowing, smiley, amazing staff, wonderful food, a stunning backdrop, nothing was too much trouble and everything was simply PERFECT. Because Rhiannon and the Grays Court family and team really, really do care and take huge pride in everything they do. Literally everything. I was convinced we had thought of every detail to ensure our day was just right but the Grays Court team managed to add so many special touches to our day so that there were surprises for us too- for example custom made hearts with our initials on the top of our pies. So thoughtful and these things really made our day.

It's hard to sum up exactly what makes Grays Court so very, very special but in a nutshell it's the unique combination of a family owned, family run business set within the most charming, characterful, beautiful surroundings. The whole building oozes warmth and is a proud and dignified old gent of a building, never showy or boastful. The owner, Helen and her children have injected so much life in to Grays Court and gently- flung open its doors, making everyone welcome to come and enjoy this exceptional place.

Nestled snuggly behind the Minster Grays Court is right in the heart of the beautiful city of York but is tucked away down a lesser known, peaceful cobbled street making it sancturary away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist traps.

If you are considering a trip to York, whether you fancy afternoon tea, a special evening meal, a drink on the lawn, a memorable night away or better still are looking for the perfect backdrop for a private function Grays Court really is the answer to your prayers. Please though, don't tell everyone- as we would rather like to keep this wonderful place all to ourselves!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank YorkshireRose123456
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have just got back from a night at Grays Court. it was surprise and found everything amazing. from the service to the whole environment. We were greeted by a new member of staff that was her second day and dealt with us brilliantly. We were shown the bar and breakfast area even though there was private function we did not feel unwelcome but to join and enjoy our stay. Our room was fantastic with a beautiful 4 poster bed and lovely furniture. i wish we could have stayed there longer. We missed breakfast because the bed was so comfy but told us we could still eat. Fantastic service. I will be going back next time in in york for afternoon and to enjoy the grounds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C M
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Unfortunately I didn't stay at Grays Court but attended a wedding there on August 29th. It was an amazing experience, from the champagne on arrival and wedding ceremony in the beautiful garden summer house, to a delicious meal in the long gallery, to the evening events and buffet, it was meticulously planned and executed down to the last detail. I imagine the passersby on York City walls must have thought they were witnessing a celebrity wedding and I am sure that the bride and groom and everyone who attended felt like a celebrity! Nothing was too much trouble for the attentive staff. Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo