“TERRIBLE...”

Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I don't normally tend to eat in 'Chain' restaurants, but due to being in a rush and having my hungry 15 month old daughter in the car we stopped at the chiquitos at Clifton Moor - York. We were passing it and it looked like the best out of a bad bunch...!

NEVER again!

Shoddy, slow, miserable service...
Very and I mean VERY average food...
VERY expensive for the VERY average food...

a 30 minute wait for a Southern Fried Chicken & Pulled Pork, a Child's Fishfinger's with Rice and a BBQ Pulled Pork Quesadilla...

Southern Fried Chicken - once I had scraped back the soggy, bland, undercooked and rubbery coating I was left with, at a rough estimate, 3oz of cheap nasty chicken, served with a spoon full of pulled pork, roughly 15 soggy french fries, a spoon of coleslaw and smothered in about half a pint of BBQ sauce - £13.95!!!

Fishfingers & rice - 3 cheap fishfingers and 2 spoonfulls of rice, a tiny glass of apple juice and a 15p? mini milk lolly - £4.95

Quesadilla - to be fair she said it was OK, but I could tell by her face though she thought it was crap too!

We then sat for 25 minutes with our dirty plates in front of us waiting to be cleared, not a member of staff in sight!

Eventually the table was cleared and I asked for the bill, I waited yet another 15 minutes for it to arrive!

Total bill with 2 cokes - just short of £35

I would have complained there and then had I of been able to find a member of staff that looked like they would have actually given a toss! besides, I had already lost 70 minutes of my life in the worst dining establishment I have ever set foot in and I didn't want to spend a second longer in there!

4  Thank dandan2012

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We've eaten at this restaurant several times and although the food has usually been ok the service can be slow. Last weekend we decided try it again pre-cinema and from previous experience allowed ourselves plenty of time. Yes the service was again slow and we had to chase up our second drinks order which seemed to have been forgotten. I don't think the problem is with the waiting staff as they all seemed to be rushing around - there just weren't enough of them there for the number of customers (even though the place wasn't heaving). Unfortunately the food wasn't as nice either this time so left feeling that they need to get their act together a bit more and not sure if we will be going back.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

After a day out in York we decided to eat here on the way home, not for the first time as we love the food here.
It was very busy when we arrived but just goes to show how good it is, we were given an approx waiting time and shown to the bar. Staff were working very hard to get tables cleared without rushing anyone, we were seated well before the time advised.
The Chiquito sharing platter was top class and very enjoyable, served in good time given how busy they were. Mains were fantastic and portion sizes great, food is so tasty. Full rack of ribs is exactly what it says on the tin, chicken & Chorizo skewers tasted great and chicken and pulled pork tasted sooooo good.
At the end of the meal we were not rushed to leave the table and felt at ease to sit and finish our wine after paying the bill.

Will be going again very soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I came across the rudest ever waitress in the York branch, the waitress did not ask if my meal was "ok" or even make an attempt to drum up a conversation, when ordering I asked how much a drink was she said "look on the menu", there was no communication when giving it out the food and at the end my friend asks "are you leaving a tip" I say "no" quietly and she snaps and says "don't worry guys I ain't expecting one" the food was good but this young lass seriously has an attitude problem !!!!

Avoid avoid avoid !!!!

1  Thank boygeorgefan
Reviewed January 19, 2013

As a rule I am not a fan of chain restaurants and last ate in this branch of Chiquito when it first opened. After a fairly average meal with exceptionally slow service I didn't bother with it for years.
As the branch is next to the Vue cinema it inevitably becomes a popular meeting place for pre-film eating so is always packed. I reluctantly agreed earlier this month to meet friends before a film. I can't complain about the food, I ordered a Jambalaya which was fine, exactly as expected, generous on the prawns, chicken and chorizo with plenty of flavour. It was evident that our group was going to the cinema, our server heard us discussing the film and was aware of our plans. We were seated at 6:30pm and it was almost 7 before anyone took our drinks order, and an hour after being seated that our food finally arrived. Once we had eaten we asked for the bill to be brought straight away as we were pushed for time. The bill was brought but after 15minutes no one had returned to take payment. This would have been understandable if the restaurant were busy and staff serving but there were four employees stood by the bar talking and looking around I could see at least two other tables trying to get their attention. We ended up standing by one of the till points and grabbing a server as the walked past so we could pay and get out.
It's such a shame that the service is so slow and lets the place down as for a chain the food isn't bad. Needless to say next time I'm going to the cinema, I won't be eating here first.