“Appaling service and can't tell you about the food”
Review of Chiquito

Chiquito
Ranked #335 of 945 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This review is on the terrible service alone. The reason for this i will get onto. We decided we would treat ourselves to a nice meal after going to the cinema. We were seated promptly and off to a good start. This is where it ended. We sat and waited for 15 mins for the waitress to come back to take our order. She walked past the table on a few occasions, I made eye contact and smiled but she just kept ignoring me. During this time i saw a few irritated diners, waiting to pay, waiting to order etc and I only saw one other waitress who seemed to be working the other side of the restaurant. The final time she seated a couple next to us, I again made eye contact and said as she walked past "could we order now please". Again I was totally ignored. We had now been waiting 20 mins and I was fuming. We left without ordering anything.

Now I have waited that long in restaurants before but to be so obviously ignored was just insulting!

I have eaten at Chiquito restaurants on more than a few occasions in different locations and have always enjoyed my experience here.

Very very disappointed with York staff.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We visited the restaurant to celebrate a special occasion at the request of my daughter but were unbelievably disappointed by the lack of customer service. We were initially told that there would be a 25 minute wait - this soon turned into almost 45 minutes, and when we did eventually get a table, we were left waiting at least another 20 minutes before receiving our starters. There were several waitresses just wandering around despite the fact that there were tables to be cleared and people waiitng to give their orders.
We left after two and a half hours, only just having eaten our starters and main courses with all the dishes from the main course still on the table! We were advised that they were short staffed in the kitchen and front of house, however the manageress appeared to be doing all the work herself without delegating effectively.
The restaurant is next door to the Vue cinema and whilst we were waiting, there were numerous people who came into the restaurant and left quickly when they realised how long they would have to wait. In such a location you would expect a quick turnround of tables to capture the cinema audience, but definitely not the case!
We won't be eating there again - very disappointing!

Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I used to love it but my last visit and my friend's separate recent visit were equally terrible, we were told we had a half hour wait for a table despite the fact only a quarter of the tables were occupied, I ordered a mojito while waiting and was told there was no crushed ice (I later received a pint of coca cola with crushed ice) after we were seated, the manager gave us a list of items they'd run out of, the most crazy items being sour cream and bacon, there was quite a list. So I begrudgingly continued and chose something that I thought wouldnt need the sour cream they'd run out of. When our meals came there was sour cream on a couple, so I asked and the waiter informed us that several of the items the manager had said had run out, had in fact been available.
When it came to getting the bill, we were seemingly in their blind spot.
My friend's more recent visit, the staff were equally inattentive, the nachos had almost no topping whatsoever, and the chicken was badly overlooked. What was supposed to be the hottest dish on the menu required practically an entire bottle of the hot sauce to spice it up.
It's a shame, the past few bad experiences have completely ruined it, I'm never taking my custom there again!

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Used to go to Chiquitos in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire - it was brilliant. Obviously standards have fallen over the last five years, the food is cheap - wouldn't eat there if it was the last restaurant in the world - what a shame because it used to be good.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We go to Chiquito quite often because we enjoy the food available on the menu. There's a good choice available for vegetarians and meat eaters and the portions are a good size. The staff have always been very helpful. I have to admit that we did have an experience of something not being quite cooked in the middle but the manager got us a new meal and was very helpful/apologetic. Good atmosphere.