“Authentic and delicious”

Oshibi
Ranked #102 of 858 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
York, United Kingdom
“Authentic and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

I had heard very good things about this restaurant and was not disappointed. I attended with two friends and the food, service and environment was excellent. Despite being fully booked and very small, we were not rushed to order or to eat in order to try and get more customers in. Having sampled excellent Korean food before, I happily surprised with the selection of food on offer and the quality and taste was fantastic. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone but would stress the importance of reserving a table. I also really liked their policy of ordering a little to begin with and then given the option to order more later if you're still hungry. Sad to have come upon this place so late on in my time in York. I look forward to returning when I am back for a visit.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kate K

Loughborough, United Kingdom
“The real Korean deal...!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I felt compelled to write a review for this wonderful little gem of a restaurant in the heart of York.
What a revelation!

Friendly, homely, quality, & believe me having done the rounds of Korean food in London, this is up there with the very best. The bulgogi beef bibimbap was dreamy! And yes, as in Koreatown L.A., there is Hite beer too.

I visited twice in two days and considered a return day three. You have to be brave though...these people know their Korean food so it is seriously chilli-spicy...just how I like it. My eyes were literally rolling!

Hard not to praise these guys enough for the contribution they have made to the York foodie scene. The very best! Thank you. Deeeeee-lishus!!

York, United Kingdom
“another fabulous meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband & I booked recently for our wedding anniversary. They were completely full but never the less our welcome was instantaneous & warm, nothing impersonal about this place, it's like been warmly welcomed into someones home. The food was once again outstanding & we were there about 2 hrs with some witty banter from the owner. 3 courses & a bottle of great wine left us only £52 lighter, happy days. Good job Oshibi!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Liz J
“Great food, great value, great service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We booked here as a party of 13, which may have been difficult given the size of the place, but the staff were more than accommodating. There were 2 other couples also eating so I hope our rowdy lot didn't impede too much on their night!

Anyway, as there were so many of us and so much choice on the menu, I suggested to the owner that they just bring a selection. He agreed and said he'd keep it to around £25 per head.

What we got was amazing and fantastic value for money! They brought out things as they were cooked, including different types of dumplings (lightly fried, not those awful claggy steamed ones), a beef rice dish, pork, chicken, vegetables and much more!

Everything was as delicious as the previous dish. Even the ice cream at the end!!!!

Would thoroughly recommend the plum wine with sparkling water as a refreshing and light drink. Wine can sometimes be difficult with Asian food! We did have several bottles of normal wine on the table for everyone though so were expecting a large bill. But it worked out well below £30 each and everything was itemised on the bill - we had to double check as we thought it was such good value!!!

This is the 2nd time I have been and hope to return again, very soon. Definitely my favourite place to eat in York!

• Visited May 2014
York
“Brilliant little gem ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Went to Oshibi for my birthday on the recommendation of friends and was not disappointed. It is tiny and very cosy, but we thought it was great value for money-between 2 of us we had 2 mains and a rice dish and were nicely full. Also the Korean beer they serve is great. Staff were fantastic, helpful but not too pushy. Would definitely recommend for something a little out of the ordinary.