“scared to death”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 192 York B&B and Inns
west yorkshire
“scared to death”
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband booked myself & my mate in at the golden fleece for a birthday surprise,knowing i love the paranormal! we were shown to our room ( St Catherines) which didnt resemble the pics on the net! But as soon as we got there, things happened. My mate & I had said we werent going to wind each other up so we knew that what we said happened actually happened. I was taking photos of the room (hoping for orbs) and felt something touch my back pocket on my jeans. We later found out that a child used to be a pickpocket yrs ago. Anyway, straight after, noises were heard upstairs ( no1 was in , bar man even took us up to prove it!), footsteps, bangs etc, and this was in the afternoon. At night the noises were so disturbing we tried to record them, me on camcorder, my mate with her mobile, my camcorder picked nothing up, but mates mobile recorded the most awful male laugh which neither of us heard at the time. didnt know then that Yvette Fielding heard the same laugh in that room. All night we were absolutely petrified, I was cursing my hubby for booking us in!! Didnt sleep a wink. I will agree with other reviewers about the state of the rooms tho, the bathroom was filthy, so much so I didnt use the shower which is not like me. The linen looked ok, but we stayed 3 wks after the smoking ban came in & we had fag ash all over the place, hair in shower, dirty carpets etc. After saying all that, we have booked to go again in June this yr (2009) with 6 other mates cos the experience far outweighed the lack of cleanliness!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Hartlepool
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Me and my mrs popped in for a pint while on a visit to york, we'd heard about the pubs history so were curious, the barman was good crack and after a few pints decided to fork out 80 quid for the St.Catherine room, my mrs was over the moon with just being there after most haunted team had been their also, our room was clean and tidy, no problems with the staff, i found them brilliant, the only spirits i saw was in the bar called whiskey, my mrs was a bit nervy in the room hearing things (imagination), as far as i am concerned it was money well spent to see the smile on my mrs face, it was just the prestige of staying in a building hundreds of years old and with a great history, i don't know what some people on here want, casper to come up and shake their hand!!!!, well were coming back and i'd reccommend it to anyone even if it is just to get your head down after a good drink around York, Andy Wake, Hartlepool.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Scunthorpe
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my wife on a weekend break.
We stayed at the Shambles room, It was with some intrepidation that I stayed in haunted house as im a bit spooked by this.

The first night no ghost but a freezing pressence was felt even with heating on..also brown muck kept coming from the taps and plug in the bath.

Well the second night about 3 am a wet patch started to appear in the bed soaking from the mattress upwards, the story goes a decayed body was found in 1650 and immulsified deep in the mattress, It was changed but since then all the bedding has done the same,

The small bed opposite the main bed also moved in the night and we both saw a girl sitting on the end of it

We left the next day still shaking and wanting never to go back

Pete and Alison

• Liked — haunted
  • Disliked — Haunted
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grimsby
Reviewed October 16, 2008

Drove to York with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews on this website. On arriving at the Golden Fleece the bar manager was pleasant and opened the gates at the back of the pub so that I could park my car. We were the only people staying in the pub overnight and as the bar closes at 11.00 we were given the key to front door. The pub was what what you would expect from a 500 year old building with no foundations. Wonky floors and squeaking doors. We had booked the Shambles room and contrary to previous reports here it was clean, tidy and fresh towels were on the bed. The jacuzzi bath had recently been replaced with a standard bath and the bedding was clean and fresh. After reading previous reviews I just wanted to say that in my opinion the Golden Fleece wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be. Efforts are obviously been made. We didn't eat breakfast (opted for Extra Hour In Bed Option). Granted the landlady and the chap that greeted us in the morning were a tad subdued. We spent the night alone in the building. Unfortunately no ghosts to be seen on heard but caught plenty of Orbs on camera and had a pleasant evening.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
derby
Reviewed September 13, 2008

We booked to stay here for 2 nights during our Honeymoon, I thought it would be a lovely experience. How wrong could I have been, I wish I had read the reviews on here before we booked. The staff are the most unfriendly ive ever come across in any hotel and ive stayed in many. My husband was getting a coffee from teh machine at breakfast time on the first morning, when the cleaner came along pushed his cup out of the way and promtly made herself a cuppa and sat down to read the morning paper. the following morning the owner or manager i presume never acknowledged any of the guests as we came down for breakfast , got most of the guests orders wrong, giving customers full english brekkys instead of continental & vice versa.
The rooms and the hotel in general is filthy , the bath was broken in both the rooms we stayed in , perhaps the idle cleaner should actually spend some time cleaning rather than being rude to customers. The food is passable until you get a glimpse of the kitchens and if you do , you wouldnt eat there again. I believe they get away with charging so much and being so rude because of the novelty of staying in what is supposedly a haunted hotel , they live off this claim and dont bother to put in any effort for the guests, they dont have to work hard to promote their buisness cuz most haunted did it for them so now they can get away without too much hard work all around.

• Liked — the exit
  • Disliked — All of it is awful
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gothyy

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Scotland
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed at the Golden Fleece for two nights towards the end of July and found it to be a pretty unpleasant experience. There is a foul smell throughout the ground floor of the building, the rooms are decaying, bath taps are loose taps, dirty bathmat, cracks around the bath, broken toilet seat and the room we had at the rear of the place had very little ventilation - one window that was permanently jammed open.
The staff are at times reasonably friendly and at others surly - refusing to allow us downstairs to the breakfast room five minutes before 8.30, not serving customers anything at ten to eleven at night as they wanted to close.
Probably the worst bit is the rooms weren't cleaned between our first and second night (I'm aware lots of hotels don't change bed sheets and towels, but the room just wasn't cleaned!). Even if they do clean between guests there is thick layers of dust about and the carpets are filthy.
Yes, this is an old building, but lots of pubs in England are of a similar age, but they are clean and just don't smell!
It may have been York's most haunted pub at one point, but in it's current condition it's hard to imagine even the unquiet dead would want to stay here!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everyything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
leicester
Reviewed July 31, 2008

stayed here for just one night and that was long enough we were both so excited about staying there but were so let down ! firstly the room is a shock its filthy with the cieling paper all hanging off from what looked like a leak the bathroom window was smashed and covered by a black bag the jacuzzi bath well thats the best there is one but its falling to bits and dont work anyone thinking of staying there is advised to stop somewhere else i have posted pics on here so everyone can see what a dump this place is we wished we had stayed at the other hotels near by .york was nice but plz dont waste your money here the staff are ignorant too especially the landlady omg !

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple