“Loved it”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #88 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Look we loved this place, great pub, must see. It was a real experience. Lots of character, loved the slanted floor and uneven walls. We found the service friendly and quick. We had the Giant Yorkshire pudding with beef and mash. Excellent. We still talk about it with fond memories. Great value. This was one of the best English pubs we visited on our trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Well after doing the York Ghost Hunt we just had to visit the Golden Fleece. My family found the Pub very comfy and welcoming in a possibly haunted way. The staff were friendly and helpful. While there we had lunch and the food was very very good. The burger I ordered was the best I had on my trip from Scotland to London. Great Pub food and experience. I could not see any ghosts while there ,but I could sense them :) I will definitely stop in again if back in York. Mabe try to stay there as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Phillip R
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Walked into the Golden Fleece today with my family, after sitting them down I went to the bar to be greated with "if you're staying you need to order food", I asked whether I could perhaps have a drink first "no" was the answer. Then perhaps we could have a look at menu whilst having our first round of drinks? "Go on then", customer service is a winner here! Maybe this pub gets enough custom to be able to be this rude, however I am still from the 'a smile costs nothing' brigade. Avoid unless you just want to say you've had a drink at York's most haunted pub.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Nicholas D
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I've been a regular visitor to the Fleece for a long time and it's only got better with age. The food is reasonably priced and comes in mountainous portions, which is never a bad thing! The bottom bar is often filled with live music and a great atmosphere and the ales are very well kept. The Fleece is always busy, which is a good sign and this wonky old pub never fails to offer up a great evening! Credit to Steph, Guy and the team!
A word of warning, the lower bar is generally reserved for diners until 9pm. This has led to some poor reviews which is unfair on the pub, which is a business and has to make money. This is pretty standard in York, and drinkers can always be assured of a warm welcome later in the evening.
Cracking pub, staff, food, beer and even the odd ghost. Don't miss out!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rarran
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This pub is central and is always very busy, a good sign! It's a pub with great atmosphere, and friendly staff. Tables can be reserved for food, and the menu is varied and reasonably priced. I have it on good authority that the beer is good too! (Husband)!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina O
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We went here for a couple of nights for a drink and meal . Loved the Old Peculiar . Staff very friendly and good quirky atmosphere . Meals were good value for the money . Didn't see any ghosts but my wife felt spooked when her drink slid across the table

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank jebuc
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a lovely little pub with great history for ghost lovers. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Unfortunately we saw no ghosts on our stay, but that just means we'll have to stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Golden Fleece Hotel
#41 of 47 in York
The White Horse
The White Horse
#101 of 195 in York

Been to Golden Fleece? Share your experiences!