“Nice friendly pub .excellent beer”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Nice friendly pub .excellent beer”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We went here for a couple of nights for a drink and meal . Loved the Old Peculiar . Staff very friendly and good quirky atmosphere . Meals were good value for the money . Didn't see any ghosts but my wife felt spooked when her drink slid across the table

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank jebuc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a lovely little pub with great history for ghost lovers. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Unfortunately we saw no ghosts on our stay, but that just means we'll have to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was visiting York for the first time with family members from New York. We wanted some good quality British home cooked pub food in a traditional pub.
We arrived early and ordered our food and drinks from the bar. Service was friendly, no problem here. We moved tables as our table was a little cramped and space was at a premium.
Then the food arrived. It may have been home made but it had all been microwaved and was tasteless. My lasagne was possibly the worst one I had ever tasted. I left it and ate the garlic bread. My daughter had cottage pie (surely they could not ruin that?). Wrong. Mostly glutinous mashed potato, you had to search carefully to find any meat. The only edible thing was the soup.
I can only assume that the other reviewer Chris K who says the food is outstanding has never been to one of the UK's quality pubs or he/she is joking. Please avoid this place if you want to eat or you might end up like the skeleton sitting at the bar!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jeverleybane

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This used to be one of my favourite pubs in york but after my last visit I won't ever return. Pouring down with rain and the bar was full but because my wife and I only wanted a drink and were not eating we were asked to go outside to the smoking area, at which point I politely informed the woman where she should stick her drink and left. It's a pub for goodness sake, just because someone is not eating does not mean they are not valued patrons. I must spend over £100 in the course of a year in this pub but from now on i would rather throw my money down the drain. Despicable way to treat customers and the middle aged lady who asked us to go outside in the rain obviously knows veery little about customer service, a real shame.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pallionlad
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

visited the Golden Fleece today with 7 other family members for a meal and got to say what a lovely place, the staff were lovely really nice could not do enough for you, the food was outstanding would definitely recommend to all who visit york, thanks again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We have been here twice now for a drink and twice we have been asked to move into the front room as where we were was for EATING customers only, despite tables being empty. When we did go into the "Bar Area" there was no empty tables and customers were eating there.........I'm confused! Where are patrons expected to sit and have a relaxing drink? These pubs often forget, it's us who keeps you open!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Such a shame that the historical character of a 16th century building has disappeared over the years, once inside the pub and bedrooms, ours was the minster suite, all evidence of history has gone. We did find the room needed a bit more of a deep clean. Now for the positives, the staff were friendly food was good hearty portions, live band on the friday night were great. We didnt experience anything spooky unfortunatley but we did enjoy our stay. Little on pricey side at £130 a night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple