“What a letdown” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 205 York B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“What a letdown”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have visited york on numerous occasions and always visited the Golden Fleece but never have I been so disappointed in the food! It was absolutely appalling, I had the chilli with rice and from the very first mouthful I was disappointed , it had a strange flavour which was certainly not chilli! It gave me the impression of being yesterday's mince heated through, my partner had the fish and chips and the batter here was absolutely saturated in fat, the chips were just not right and the whole thing was just a total let down, as for the portion sizes .... Quite over the top and off putting, perhaps the owners should take note the amount of food that is being returned to the kitchen, is either a sign of not good or far too much. Sorry but here is one couple that will not be back! Just a big let down and so disappointing!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gail m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I absolutely adore Golden Fleece! On 10th October for the first time we stayed overnight. We were in Shambles room and pictures on the website don't do it justice as room is really big with amazing bathroom with a bath and really well finished modern shower! Room and the pub itself is really cosy and as for any ghostly goings on you'll just have to check it for yourself!
Food in Golden Fleece is all home made and so good! Our favourite thing is stake and Stilton pie but there is good range of choice on the menu! Also if you stay in one of the rooms you get breakfast with it and in the morning they set a table for you in from room of the pub! Breakfast options go from full English to veggie choices!
We will definitely be returning here very soon!

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Although I haven't stayed here I have visited the pub on 2 occasions - The first time we thought it was a tiny pub until we realised there was a larger area at the back. We ordered food, got it quickly the portions are HUGE! well worth the money! drinks and food reasonable prices! The place has an eery feel to it, which goes with the title of "yorks most haunted pub"! The skeleton sitting at the bar made us chuckle!!
The second time for my visit was purely based on the great service we received the first time. I had travelled to York with friends visiting from Australia, so I wanted to give them a great experience of England, this place didn't disappoint! Great food again! my friend and I even had a scary encounter in the ladies toilets (I think it was all in our heads though)!! So much fun!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JennieBoz
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Small, cosy, full of ye olde atmosphere, busy some real ales alongside standard lagers, good food, and occasional live music. The price of drinks is very acceptable. The staff were polite and friendly. What more can you ask for? We enjoyed it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DRS186364
Holywell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We arrived here for one night and were not disappointed with what we found. What a lovely quaint little pub with friendly staff and a great atmosphere. We stayed in the Minster Suite which was situated at the very top of the building and what a lovely room - so quirky! As we had read the floor sloped to one side likewise throughout the whole building which just added to the whole experience. Would highly recommend just diappointed we did not see any ghosts. My husband did take 146 photos in the dark (yes I know!) and out of them photos 3 have some kind of light/orb in them so who knows? They were taken after a couple of vodkas though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank gingergiraffe82
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I didn't stay here but I did call in for a few drinks and found them priced reasonably and it's a nice little pub. The bar man was wry sociable and I would definetly consider staying here in the future!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Vampyrx4
Neston, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Tried to get a drink here last night with 8 forty something stone cold colleagues and we were refused entry for being too big a party. On the basis of such friendly service you can imagine I will be rushing back tomorrow to enjoy the fabulous hospitality. Not!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these York hotels