“The Shambles room”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The Shambles room”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at the fleece with my partner had a fantastic time the shambles room was lovely. Steph and her team of staff are lovely very helpful and accommodating it was my partners birthday a bottle of champagne was left out in a ice bucket upon our arrival. We ate at the pub mainly, food is excellent and not expensive we had breakfast and once again fantastic. felt relaxed and had a great time booking for January to stay again. If you would like to stay I suggest you book early constantly booked up very popular I will be booking for January next year can not wait to go back.

Room Tip: Shambles room is at the front of the main high street can be a bit rowdy but can be funny to listen...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Slept here with family as a city birthday break, lovely accommodation and perfect location for the city shops and dated back streets, staff were very welcoming and chatty. Catherine's room was standard but very warm at night, due to the history and presence of former armed force man was to afraid to expose my skin to cool down. The landlords I'm presuming at breakfast time were very considerate and thought about us and ensured we were satisfied and got our money's worth. Would recommend however be prepared for a sleepless night as footsteps might be heard!

• Stayed August 2013
manchester,uk
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed on a Sunday night so it was perhaps quieter than a usual weekend night. We had a late lunch there and didn't book a table. The portions are huge, so much so that we said if we ever go again we could easily share! The food isn't expensive and as said before they are huge in quantity. Quality wise I must say I've had better but it's average. We stayed in the shambles room. It's just been refurbished and the room itself and en suite are beautiful. We I'd have a spooky experience, and I did feel uneasy there, which I suppose is why we booked it so if you are a ghost hunter then yes I would recommend it. The location to the centre of York, shops etc is brilliant. Would I go again? Yes for a drink and something to eat. Would I sleep again? No but based purely on my cowardice not on the bedroom facilities. Ps I must say there are some reviews stating how rude the staff were, well we didn't experience any of this. The staff we did come into contact with we're nothing but polite and helpful.

Room Tip: The shambles is newly refurbished (old photos on website) but its at the very front of the pub so th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bean4444_7
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were a party of ladies of mature years and arrived looking forward to an evening meal but were greeted by a 'door person' who refused us entry saying they were unable to cater for large parties that their kitchen was only small and unable to cope. This was utter trash as I had previously witnessed a number of tables of fours and sixes being served lunch that same day without any problem. We did try to book and were told by the lady at the bar there was no need as they had an extra dining area that could be opened if necessary. The door person left us standing outside, contacted the Manager and then came back with a refusal. Even the Manager didn't have the decency to present himself and explain. Four members of our party were already seated inside waiting for us. We found this door person to be obstructive and insulting by repeating the same thing over and over again. I visit the Golden Fleece every time I visit York with friends and family and have never been treat in this way. All I can say is GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER otherwise you will lose customers. We were definitely made to feel inferior which was upsetting. I certainly will not be taking anyone back there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Travellingeordies

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

It isn't a bad little place to have a drink. We went in for a few drinks before going to Plunkets for a meal. I was incredebly shocked to find a pint and a single vodka come cost almost £10. Maybe i'm just lucky that I live in Northeast England and maybe drink prices are cheaper there. Other than that it is a nice pub with nice features, but nothing special... Oh and the barmaid likes to talk a lot of rubbish like "oh guests have been feeling cold around the shoulders all day in that seat" ... Yeah righto love.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly H
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

After having a few drinks during the day we decided, after seeing some amazing food, to visit later on for a meal. We asked if we could book a table and they said there was no need we would be fine. We turned up in two small groups. First group went in one. Second group were stopped and we wee told they could not accommodate us if we hadn't booked. Needless to say we were ather annoyed given we'd tried to book earlier on. The food looked lovely and the service was fine until this point. As a well dressed group (no tacky hen paraphernalia or rowdiness) of women fifty plus out for a nice meal they were incredibly abrupt and offered no apology. We left for a lovely Italian restaurant nearby, Bari, who accommodated us with amazing customer service.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank natandmac
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is worth a visit for the sheer olde worlde charm! We didn't stay in a room so can't comment. We did have lunch there and the food was good and very plentiful. Having a pint in a place with so much character was very pleasant

• Stayed July 2013