“No ghosts this weekend”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough
“No ghosts this weekend”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and myself stayed there for 2 nights and loved it.
Excellent pub, full of character, lovely staff, good food, could do better by cooking real chips and not frozen/packeted ones. Apart from the chips I cannot fault our stay there last weekend, got exactly what we wanted

Room Tip: All rooms good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank metal.surgeon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Called in here whilst visiting my son and his girlfriend (a student at York Uni). My lad had been here before and raved about it, but being about 5 'o' clock on a Sunday I envisaged struggling to get a table. Fortunately we found a table, and much to the appeasement of my lad who wanted to watch the footie, we had a great spot just in front of the telly. Between us we had Scampi, a wrap something, and two Hunter chickens. All four of us voted it perfect. It was. My chicken was plentiful, in a great sauce, well cooked. Service was without fault and we found the staff to be friendly, polite and attentive. Trouble is, with so much choice in York, it seems a shame to keep going back to the same place but we will be back before too long.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Neil O
west yorkshire
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed on Friday Night, the staff couldnt do enough for us from the minute we stepped into the amazing inn, stayed in Saint Catherines room quite spooky at night had a few experiences but we expected that. Live music at night and the breakfast was hugh and lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 798sam798
Canmore
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I and two teenage sons (16 and 13) were walking around York looking for an old pub in which to have dinner and happened on the Golden Fleece. Why not eat and drink at the self-proclaimed "Most Haunted Pub in Britain"? The staff were friendly and service was very good. I had a nice chicken curry and the others all had huge portions of roast beef, mashed and Yorkshire pudding. And for dessert I had one of the best bread and butter puddings I've ever eaten. The old crooked building, the paraphernalia inside and the ghost stories add to the experience. Overall, great value and exactly what we were looking for.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

It was my daughters 21st and after having a lovely meal in an Italian in the shambles decided to have a drink in the golden fleece A BIG MISTAKE ! The girl behind the bar was extremely rude and gave the impression we were an inconvenience by just being there, we quickly finished our drinks and left as did another couple who also also commented on how rude and unfriendly the staff were, will never go back

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Lesley409

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went last week for a meal whilst we were staying in york. We were not disappointed by the size of the portions which were huge.Would reccomend the food most of it was homemade apart from chips but even they were good. Will be visiting again when next in york

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My sister and I had a one night stay in st Catherine's room and was not dissapointed with spooky happenings. I had my foot slapped during the night and my sister's arm was touched.
We were the only guests staying on that particular night but heard constant footsteps and taps being turned on through the night.
The welcome from the staff at the Golden Fleece is commendable. (thanks Guy for the chat about the history of the pub and surrounding area) The food is fantastic with really large portions - as last review we were unable to finish them.
The lighting, tables and wobbly floors are all what you would expect from an establishment of that era.
It does not matter if you believe in the supernatural or not go and experience the ambience of this delightful pub. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Saint Catherine's room with the recently discovered room which has now been turned into an on su...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family