Golden Fleece
$232
$141
  • Pool
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$89
B+B York(York)(Great Value!)
$71
$69
  • Breakfast included
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
$197
Hilton York(York)
$117
$98
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$59
$144
Official Site
All reviewsshambles roomhaunted pubminster suitefront baruneven floorshaunted roomyorkshire puddinggreat pubvisited this pubsteak piequick drinkghost walkbeer gardenfour poster bedvisit yorkfull englishspooky
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We come to York a lot and have eaten here before. The service can vary as it is popular and busy but the food has always been good and the portions huge. Mt husband had the Cajun Chicken burger with chips and salad and was well pleased. The same meal in The Slug and Lettuce was tiny and a real rip off. Yes it is dark and the seats crek but that is part of the fun.The building slants which we loved but maybe not so good if you are older or disabled? We will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Persist with waiting for a seat at the back and remember there is seating upstairs!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed on Tuesday 11 th Dec and really enjoyed our stay,The staff were very friendly upon our arrival and throughout our stay,we stayed in the Minster room, we did not experience any paranormal activity but the old peculiar may have had something to do with that.The building is old so don't expect 5* but if you want olde,friendly staff,one of the best breakfasts then this may be the place for you
We will be back again !
Ps the horrible history tour which sets off from the pub in the evening is well worth it and very informative

Room Tip: The minster room looks over the shambles
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Visited the golden fleece sunday 16th dec 2012 (FESTIVAL OF ANGELS). We have called in this pub a few times over the years and always had a good pint of theakstons old peculiar and thought we would try the food this time.We ordered 3 sunday lunches and a cottage pie,The sunday dinner was awful,veg was overcooked,mash was stodgy and beef was full of fat and gristle,The cottage pie was very dry and needed more gravy,roasties and yorkshire puds were ok but what a real let down as this pub oozes character and real charm!. Would defo call bk 4 a pint but york offers some great pubs that serve quality sunday scran...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I last stayed in the Golden Fleece around four years ago with my boyfriend, in the Shambles room. We had such a lovely time that I couldn't wait to return recently with my friend, staying this time in the St Catherine's suite. Since my last visit standards have most certainly dropped, and I write this as someone who rarely complains. As mentioned by many the place needs a good scrub! The fact that our window didn't close properly, meant a constant icy breeze came through in to the room, unless we closed the thick curtains, but as the heating was on most of the time this wasn't to much of a problem. We didn't have the best view out of our window, which I would have been fine with due to the nature of the building. However the 100's of fag ends that have been thrown on the roof at some point (assuming people smoking in the rooms) was a sight for sore eyes! In fact I am sure people had been smoking in the rooms as my bed sheet (although clean) had a fag burn hole in it! Now on to the main problem! The AWFUL smell in the bathroom, and I genuinely mean AWFUL! Drains and raw sewerage is the only way I can describe it! I went down on the first morning to ask if something could be done, the reply? Did I want some bleach to pour down the toilet? Firstly it was clearly a pluming problem, possibly coming up from the shower plug, as one morning I was nearly sick at the smell when taking a shower, and secondly you should never ask a guest to sort out the issue themselves! A BOTTLE OF BLEACH? When this strange little man (bless him) came upstairs to take a whiff, he apparently couldn't smell anything, and by this point it was at its worse - spread to the bedroom. I can still smell it now I'm home! Absolutely awful! I don't think they came up to sort the problem in the end either. Breakfast was really nice although the little man who serves it could be a little more enthusiastic 'What do you want for breakfast?' and when I replied with yes to full english, he turned to my friend in a monotone voice 'oh right, do you want one as well?'. Overall staff where very friendly. I am disappointed this time around, even small things like glasses to drink from and a bar menu, where missing from the room this time. I may return one day, however not anytime soon, such a shame.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank rach870
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We spent the day in York,we spotted the pub and decided to go inside. Great service, i would recommend the steak and stilton pie.. The food was great, will definitely go back there again.
We finished off the evening with a tour round the town with a nice young man called James, who told us some of the gory details of what went on in the "old days"
We had a great day, great food and great company in the evening.
Thank you James ! :)