“Beautiful savouries and delicious sweet treats”

The Grand Afternoon Tea
Ranked #166 of 983 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2017 via mobile

We visited without a reservation and were able to take afternoon tea in the well appointed tea room. Lovely starched cloths and napkins, delicate china, good service ensuring an enjoyable unplanned outing. The savoury items were all different, not just sandwiches, the scones were light and warm, and the individual blackcurrant cheesecake was divine. Pastries were tasty too.

laura t, Restaurant Host at The Grand Afternoon Tea, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2017

Dear Alison W
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our Afternoon Tea here at The Grand Hotel and Spa, York, It is wonderful to hear that the team were able to look after you so well on your recent visit and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed February 9, 2017

Average level of cake making and certainly not the patisserie we expected from a 5* hotel! No sandwiches, and very poor quality of scones with very little clotted cream. I have had far better quality afternoon tea in London for less money. Would recommend you don't waste your money going to the Grand.

Dear Carol M
Thank you for your comments, I apologise that our Afternoon Tea did not quite meet your expectations, however we hope that this experience has not determined whether you will return, as we would love to welcome you back here in the not too distant future, and hopefully change your opinion of us here.

Reviewed December 14, 2016

We did the tea service our first afternoon in York and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was well presented and delicious (could not finish it). The service was exceptional and the room was decorated for Christmas so it was just lovely.

laura t, Restaurant Host at The Grand Afternoon Tea, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2016

Dear travelgirl201077
Thank you for writing such a lovely review of our Afternoon tea, I’m glad you enjoyed it and I’m very pleased to hear that you were well looked after by our staff.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our Hudson’s restaurant in the not too distant future

Reviewed December 14, 2016 via mobile

Decided to do this for my 50th birthday. Looks amazing when you walk in and the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit greet you take you for walks around. They banter with you the whole time, making it a fun exoerience for the whole family.

Once seated you have a mini "drink me" drink in the tables and you are offered tea, coffee, juice and water all included in the price.

This is where I think it needs changing. I have given it 5 stars as it was definately worth 5 stars but this would improve it. We were brought warm scones before sandwiches. The sandwiches were added to the "Buffet table" with the cakes. Personally I would have liked a selection of sandwiches on the table first. Then the scones then extras on the buffet table if needed. Instead as soon as our warm scones were delivered (we were the last almost everyone else had eaten their by the time ours arrived) the Mad Hatter did his opening ceremony and everyone rushed to the Buffet of sweets and chocolates.

Everything we tasted was lovely although personal tastes some were to rich for some and not others. Which to me means a good selection for everyone.

The Mad Hatter and White Rabbit left for a bit while people were eating then came back to continue to fun and amuse us.

All in all a good afternoon tea.

Dear Typozalot
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea.
It’s wonderful to hear that the team were able to look after you so well on your recent visit and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Our themed tea parties are as popular as ever and make for a fun afternoon for adults and children alike!

Reviewed December 5, 2016

I booked to have Afternoon Tea with my mum as a treat for my 30th birthday, due to having a delicious Afternoon Tea at the hotel last year. This was booked a week in advance and as there were a couple of items on the menu which I didn't like, the staff member at the time of booking confirmed they would swap these two items (in this case a different sandwich filling and a chocolate brownie instead of a date sponge).
On arrival I was informed the menu, as of the 1st December, had changed to a 'festive edition', which at the time of booking was not even mentioned. Everything on this new menu, I absolutely hated (mince pies, Christmas Pudding cheesecake and figs) and had I known this would be the only choice available I would certainly not have booked. The staff member serving us was from the start extremely flustered and expected to serve six other tables whilst trying to sort out the issue I had with the menu. It was extremely obvious they were short staffed. After forty minutes he finally came back and told us the chef could 'sort something out'. As this was booked a week in advance for my 30th birthday I did not feel as though 'sorting something out' was anywhere near good enough and was made to feel like an inconvenience. To try and smooth things over he asked if we wanted a complimentary glass of Prosecco - I was driving so declined but I asked for one for my mother. Another twenty minutes passed and the staff member had not even taken our order for tea. During this time we had also found a dirty spoon on the table. We never did see the glass of complimentary glass of Prosecco and eventually my mother had to ask the staff member if he would like to know what tea we were having. This service was completely unacceptable for any hotel, never mind a 5* establishment. When the Afternoon Tea arrived it certainly looked like the chef had 'sorted something out'. The sandwiches were crispy and curled up, the clotted cream for the scones was still frozen and two of my substituted cakes were actually part of a sponge cake which had been clumsily hacked in half with some cream piped on the top. The presentation was appalling (it came on two trays which meant the table was so full me and my mum couldn't even see each other!) and the quality of the food disgusting. My mum who had decided to have the festive menu also complained the food was dry and tasteless.
I couldn't eat much of what I was given as it was so foul. Eventually our waiter returned and said his manager would speak with us. We were asked if we would like to go somewhere more private but because the hotel was quite busy we had the conversation in the main corridor! I detailed how upset I was by the whole experience, my 30th birthday celebration had been ruined. The manager said there would be no charge for the afternoon tea and he would contact me by email in the next 48 hours to offer me a voucher to come back for another afternoon tea at my leisure. I am still waiting to hear from him and the fact a complaint has not been dealt with 48 hours later, considering the circumstance, shows exactly how much The Grand Hotel value their customers. They may not have charged us for the Afternoon Tea which was brought to us on Saturday, however the hotel clearly have no idea how much upset they have caused in that they have ruined a 30th birthday experience, which is time I cannot get back. Furthermore, they have no interest in trying to redeem their failures which they have demonstrated by failing to follow up a complaint within the agreed timescale. Before this Saturday I was saving up to stay at this hotel for a weekend away next year, however I am glad I have seen their true colours before I experienced an even bigger disappointment at a much larger expense.

1  Thank killbill16
laura t, Restaurant Host at The Grand Afternoon Tea, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2016

Dear killbill16
Firstly, let me apologise profusely for how your Afternoon Tea went with us, I can assure you that this is not our normal standard and I am very sorry to hear that your day with us did not go as planned. I understand that the Restaurant Manager spoke to you on the day, but if you do wish to discuss this further, please email him on Michele.Damiano@thegrandyork.co.uk, and hopefully we can restore your faith in us here at The Grand Hotel.