“Memorable Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #262 of 920 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were in York for six days and after reading about Afternoon Tea at Cedar Grand Court on Trip Advisor we booked for this very special 'treat'. The hotel is a fine building - we have often noticed it as we have walked around the city walls. Inside it's just as elegant.

Our afternoon tea was quite excellent - equal to the one we enjoyed at the Midland Hotel, in Manchester, on New Year's Day this year.

The sandwiches and cakes were delicious, the tea of a fine quality and the service was equally impressive.

It was a perfect afternoon in York !

1  Thank PrestburyLad
Michael T, Manager at The Grand Afternoon Tea, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout.
On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My sister and I celebrated her birthday with Afternoon Tea at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel, as we wanted to make it a memorable occasion. The staff were super, nothing was too much trouble, the food was fanastic,fresh and delicious. The hotel itself is beautiful. I plan to go back to York soon, just so I can have Afternoon Tea again!

Dear Denise

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your visit for afternoon tea. It is great to hear you and your sister had a great time celebrating her Birthday and that you found our staff to be so helpful.

We look forward to looking after you again soon

Kind regards

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My new wife and I celebrated our wedding with afternoon champagne tea with 4 guests at The Cedar Court Hotel. It was perfect. From the moment we arrived until we left we had superb service from our waiter Sahbi (I think that is how it is spelt) who was exceptional at his job. The food was fantastic, the drinks perfect. We resolved that we will go here every year on our anniversary. That might be too long and we might end up back sooner rather than later. Thank you for making our perfect day.

mike t, Manager at The Grand Afternoon Tea, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent afternoon tea with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout.

I am very pleased to read that our afternoon tea supervisor Sahbi looked after you very well.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I decided to take some of our family for afternoon tea as we had been before and enjoyed it. The dining room was beautiful and the staff were very good. Unfortunately the quantity of food was inadequate for six adults. We did ask if they had forgotten to bring out one of the plates of sandwiches, but no, apparently not. The food was very nice, but again the quantity of clotted cream ( two dessert spoons), for six people ? a bit of a joke !!! We did on this occasion ask for more. At £33 per head (including glass of champagne) you don't want to be feeling awkward about the amount of cream you take for your scone !!!

1  Thank SueeBRHB

Dear Guest

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the beautiful surroundings here in our Grill Room restaurant for your afternoon tea. I am also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience so much you decided to come again.
As for the quantity of the food every guest should have one of each of our homemade cakes, one of each type of sandwich and also a scone each.
Obviously I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t have enough clotted cream for your scones and happy that our very helpful staff here got you some more when you asked for some.

I do hope you return to have afternoon tea with us again here at The Grand

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked the Cedar Court for afternoon tea on the strength of recommendations here. The hotel is beautiful, wonderfully restored with an eclectic mix of old and new--think oak panelling, art nouveau tiling and fireplaces mixed with sleek new copper ceiling lights, plush carpeting and cozy upholstery. The staff were wonderful--attentive without being pushy, kind and helpful. The afternoon tea was plentiful and excellent quality--the scones and cakes were gorgeous! I was treating a dear friend on a special birthday and we had a lovely time whiling away the afternoon chatting, which the staff were happy to let us do and simply refreshed our tea at regular intervals. The afternoon tea is not cheap, but no more expensive than 'the other place' in town, but without the queue and busy-ness. If I could improve our experience, I would update the sandwiches with artisanal bread and perhaps drop the ubiquitous cucumber sandwich in favour of something a little more adventurous. But this is nitpicking. A word of warning, however, the toilets we were directed to, though beautiful, were upstairs from the dining room and it was not clear how accessible they might be for disabled users. Overall, a wonderful experience and we shall return!

1  Thank GiselleLTH
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Afternoon Tea, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your afternoon tea with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout. It’s very pleasing to read that both the food and levels of service met your expectations and I will be sure to pass on all of your comments to our team.

With regards to your comment on our restrooms, we do of course have alternative facilities located just beneath our main reception which can be accessed via the guest lift.

Graeme Clark