“Great location and fantastic service.”
Review of Carlton House

Carlton House
Ranked #6 of 194 York B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Carlton house was immediately welcoming. The room was clean, well appointed and light. The breakfast was fantastic and it's only a leisurely stroll to the city and the attractions. Parking is a bonus too

• Stayed: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I'd not been to York and found this hotel while perusing the Internet in search of a place to stay at short notice. It's about a 15 minute walk to the centre of York and about 10 minutes from the train station, on a main road lined with large Georgian houses and well kept trees. The road is pretty busy in the day, but our room was on the front of the house on the first floor and we didn't hear it- so it wasn't an issue.

The room was large, warm, very clean and well kept with its original period fireplace and plasterwork. The en suite bathroom was immaculate. Room facilities included tea and coffee making facilities, spring water (from nearby Harrogate), TV, wireless Internet and a hair dryer. Breakfast was hot, freshly prepared to order and served pretty quickly. Overall the quality of the service was really excellent, even by hotel standards.

Would definitely stay again.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed here as we were in York for a family funeral, I booked by phone and they kindly offered that we could check in early before the ceremony which was a great help.
Clean, good location, short walk to the City centre and railway station but nothing special.
The room was nicely decorated and bed linen and pillows were good quality but the bed itself was really small, a ¾ size double I think, despite there being room for a king-size. I’m only 5’8, but my feet hung of the end...strange.
The breakfast room was nice enough, but the food was poor (cheap sausages, oily eggs, undercooked toast, cold beans and dire, weak coffee). Worst of all the staff were sullen and unfriendly. Also, they could do with a better extractor fan in the kitchen; we left the breakfast room smelling like we worked in a Greasy Spoon and the smell wafted all the way up to the room, 4 floors above.
It did the job, and it’s a relatively cheap option for York, but I am surprised that it’s quite so popular.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CarltonHouseYork, Owner at Carlton House, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Unfortunately Tripadvisor allow reviewers to write pretty much anything they like about a property yet a management response has to follow strict guidelines to what it can and cant say, so here is my very much watered down reply.
You stayed with us while attending a funeral so in all probability you weren’t 100% emotionally level so apart from the room being nicely decorated, bed linen and pillows being good quality there seemed little else that met with your approval. I make no apologies that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us as our standards are extremely high and we all work very hard to keep any cause for complaints to an absolute minimum. There is no benefit to us at all serving (cheap sausages, oily eggs, undercooked toast, cold beans and dire, weak coffee) or to have sullen and unfriendly staff. The ¾ bed, it baffles us how your feet hung off the end as we haven’t had custom made short beds, maybe you should have tried sleeping with the pillows at the top of the bed. To conclude we are only as good as our guests reviews say we are, thankfully very few guests that come through our door are like you.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

What can I say about Carlton House that hasnt already been said in past reviews. They seem to have it off to a tee, spotlessly clean, friendly helpfull staff, great location and 1st class breakfast to top. We were reccomended some fantastic local restaurants and a great local real ale pub The Brigante which served a lovely pint of York Guzzler.
15 mins from city centre you can park your car up for the weekend in their car park (plenty of space if guests park with some thought for others ie in the marked bays) and forget about it.
Thanks for a relaxing weekend guys, will reccomend and return ourselves.

Room Tip: I would think they are all the same high standard.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Generally a very good B&B - and I have experienced many! Very nice helpful and cheery dining room/breakfast staff. Freshly cooked food, with good breakfast choice.
Rooms of a decent size, very clean as was the bathroom. A lovely old well maintained building with free parking to the rear.
We were recommended a pub to visit which we did - it was probably the worst pub in York, that had run out of whisky! we found much nicer ones over the weekend.
My only real complaint re this B&B is I was charged full rate for a double room with single occupancy, where I had no objections to paying a subsidy I think full rate (as I didn't eat two breakfasts!) was a little greedy of the owners, I thought they had made a genuine mistake but when I asked they were adamant it was their policy. I checked their website and it clearly stated the prices for single occupancy - which was £40 less than I had been charged. I think it was a bit unfair, I left my phone charger which they promised to forward on to me but it has not appeared.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
CarltonHouseYork, Owner at Carlton House, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

This lady booked a double room for 2 people for 2 nights for a wedding she was attending, then upon arrival advised us she was travelling alone so could she have a single or smaller room however we were fully booked as it was October half term. Our website advertises double rooms for single occupancy however we do not let them at peak times, as with all hotels/b&bs we have overheads to cover.
Mrs P states this was unfair, it was unfair for us to be advised at check-in she was travelling alone and expect a reduced rate. If she had booked a family room then turned up alone would she have expected this for single rate ?
After misplacing her room keys and getting a 2nd set she asked where the 'nearest pub' was and was told their were 2 pubs 100 yards away, The Mount and The Bay Horse. These were not reccomended by us they were the nearest pubs, apparently whichever one she went to was probably the worst pub in Yorkas it had run out of whisky.
The guests phone charger was posted off to her friends address in Nantwich as she requested and 'as promised', we have the proof of posting 9/11/12, she advised us by e-mail this has now arrived but not until after she put her review on 20/11/12 (naughty Royal Mail taking so long to deliver a parcel).
Top and bottom, this lady booked a double room for 2 people and didnt have the courtesy to pre-inform us of a change in occupancy had she arrived at Marriot, Hilton or any other hotel/b&b the same would have applied.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Lovely quaint old town house, spotlessly clean, very helpful staff. My wife and I arrived quite late on a Friday for a long weekend break. We were met by the owner who took time to advise us on places to eat, give us advice and directions. Our room was clean and quiet, the breakfast was individually freshly cooked and the staff only too happy to accommodate. We had a lovely weekend break and will not hesitate to stay there again. Well Done. Take a tip, book direct on their website or ring and save a few quid.

1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Enjoyed a lovely weekend break in York, staying here for two nights. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room decor was tasteful, retaining Georgian features with a contemporary edge. All felt good quality and there was plenty of space in the room and ensuite shower room. If I could do anything to improve it would be to have a king size bed and to make the shower more powerful (but lots of piping hot water and perfectly adequate-I'm being niggly!). Breakfast was very tasty and plenty of fresh items to chose from. Was great to have the free parking too. Can happily recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012