“Great Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Mount Royale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed in the hotel for 3 night. Nice location, free parking and accomodating staff. Though, they don't have free computers for guests use, they allow us to use their office computer during the evenings when the reception is less busy.

The rooms are very clean and spotless. The only complaint is our room has a very large beam that lays crosswise above our bed.

As for breakfast, their egg benedicts are very delicious. And they have a wide choice of breakfast to choose from.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2009

Like the majority of people reviewing this hotel, we too had a great stay. The room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was huge and we had an separate little room where to hang clothes and change. The only negative was that they really need to hover/vacuum the rafters to get rid of the cobwebs, which are to be expected especially in an old house. The staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The pool (heated, btw, which is really important, imo) out back was utterly delightful and the restaurant looked lovely as well with its dining tables under a covered patio - unfortunately, we didn't have time to try it. The breakfast was very good. The eggs were perfectly cooked, the fruit was fresh and delicious and it was all served with attention and relative speed. I would happily stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We use hotels regularly due to our business. This hotel is faultless. We fail to understand how anyone could give this hotel a poor review. It was a last minute booking so we had a room at the front of the hotel, not the greatest location in the hotel and looked onto the main road. This was no problem whatsoever,. we had the window open and it was certainly not noisy as some other reviews suggest. It was a lovely room with a 4 poster bed and dressing room. The gardens and pool area are beautiful. Breakfast best we have had in a hotel, freshly cooked with plenty of selection. Would we return? most certainly and wouldn't consider any other hotel in York.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2009

My friend and I both have young children and decided to take a break away from them and from the daily drudge for a shopping/relaxation trip to York. We happened upon the Mount Royale reviews on TripAdvisor and we're so glad that we did.
We were shown to our lovely twin room with very comfortable and spacious beds and large fully equipped ensuite. Our doors opened up onto a little terrace and with the gardens beyond it felt like an oasis of calm. We went straight to the sauna and steam area which was deserted and spent a wonderful hour relaxing.
We decided to eat in the restaurant that night and the food (and service) was very good. My friend is a vegetarian and she found ample choices to satisfy her, rather than the standard "veggie lasagne"!
Breakfast was a real treat - I had Eggs Benedict with bacon which was scrummy!
The only disappointment was that we had to go home again! Will definitely be back!
Only small comment that I can add was that the carpark seems rather small for the number of rooms but having said that we didn't struggle on the day we were there.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank The Priory Hote... a
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We stayed for one night on a trip to Yorkshire. Initially we thought £105 per night was a little expensive but with this including breakfast and parking worked out as reasonable compared to the Premier Inn down the road. The hotel was only a short walk to the city (about 10mins). We were pleasantly suprised to have our room upgraded to a suite which was extremely spacious, clean and well equipped. I can only imagine the normal rooms were of a similar high standard. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast delicious and plentiful. What more could one want?! Oh a heated outdoor swimming pool maybe - yes they have that and although we didnt actually use it, it looked very clean and sheltered.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarryB1981
Reviewed June 3, 2009

First review, I just felt I should pass on my experience of the Mount Royale. I'd read mixed reviews, but decided to take a punt, I wasn't disappointed. The hotel was gorgeous, not only the characterful, quirky interior but outside was something else. We got there and were shown to room 20, looking over the gardens. Apparently the actress Anna Faris had stayed in that room, which excited me more than my girlfriend! The receptionist on duty on the afternoon of June 1st was charming and couldn't have been more helpful. We decided, as the weather was incredible, to go straight to the (outdoor) pool. This turned out to be a fantastic decision, the pool was a delight, with sauna, steam room and hottub to boot, in a real sun trap. To get there you walk through the delightful gardens and discover the pool area at the bottom of the garden. The receptionist went to the trouble of getting plastic glasses so we could enjoy a G & T in the sunshine. We stayed at the pool for 5 hours and by the time I got back to the room felt like I'd been to Greece, with a tan to match. We decided to eat in the hotel, which was good value and OK, nothing extra special but I for the money plugged a hole. The wine was rather more expensive than the online price, my fault for not checking and just ordering the chablis. We then retired to the room with a free DVD from the library on reception. Breakfast the next day was an absolute cracker, the best I've had in any hotel anywhere in the world. Then back to the pool for a couple of hours and off to checkout. As you may have gathered I can't recommend the Mount Royale highly enough. On second thoughts, go somewhere else so I can get booked in next time!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dropclub
Reviewed May 29, 2009

we stayed for two nights in this family hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. Upgraded rooms were excellent value for money. Complimentary bubbly served in the swimming pool!Heavenly after long train journey. Breakfast was excellent . Lovely garden for town location. 10 mins walk into the centre of town and railway station.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family