“" one of England's best"”
Review of York Minster

and up
York Walking Tour including York Minster
Ranked #4 of 202 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Dating back to medieval times, this splendid Church of England cathedral features magnificent 14th- and 15th-century stained glass, stonework and elaborate tombs.
winnipeg
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“" one of England's best"”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

An amazing cathedral and my personnel favorite, York Minster never fails to impress. Its been a few years since my last visit, and although restoration work was being done on the magnificent East window, you were able to get a close up view of some of the restored panel through a new exhibit. Its amazing to see these ancient panes up close and appreciate the craftsmanship that went into them. Also the Undercroft Exhibit of the Roman remains that were unearthed during the work to stabilize the Minster was fascinating. Sorry for my bias, but when you add the surroundings of the city into the equation, this makes it the best cathedral in England in my view. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2013

63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Pride of York”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This is more than a church. The Minster is one of the true jewels in the tourist crown. When I see this iconic building I know I am home. I love this place and that is not being biased cos I am from York. I am proud of my city and its heritage.

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Stupendous”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

What can one say. An awe inspiring example of the best in medieval architecture. Among the stunning masonry & marvelous stained glass windows I'd make special mention of the Five Sisters window whose non figurative patterns & grisaille coloring conveys a sense of profound spirituality.

Visited November 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Must go beneath!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The area surrounding York Minster, with its monuments to Constantine and the church where Guy Fawkes was baptized, are interesting, and York Minster itself is overwhelming. Especially fascinating was the tour beneath where one can see the lengths people have gone through to keep the building upright and the amount of history layered under the modern cathedral. The great window was being restored while we were there, and I was initially disappointed, wanting to see the class and instead seeing a tarp with the image of the window upon it, but on display are panes from the window that have been restored. I've never been able to see such panes so closely, and it was breathtaking. So much intricate detail!

Visited July 2013
Norwich
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Worth every penny”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited with friends who had never been to york before so obviously top of the to do list was The Minster. Whilst to me it seems wrong to charge admission to a religious building, this was definitely good value for money and the tickets are valued for 12 months. The building is simply stunning and we found the interactive displays in the under croft very interesting. I know that they are really aimed at children but the inner child in all of us was brought out with the alternative type 'brass' rubbings, using building blocks to create an unsupported arch (yes it stayed up) and the dressing up corner.

Visited November 2013