“A little piece of history in Yorkshire!”

Yorkshire Air Museum
Ranked #12 of 167 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: The Yorkshire Air Museum and Allied Air Forces Memorial is located on the outskirts of the City of York within easy reach of the City centre. The Museum welcomes family visitors, with lots of things to keep everyone in the family entertained. We are also pet friendly, so you won't need to leave your four legged part of the family home alone. Authentically based on an original World War II Bomber Command Station, this unique history museum is filled with a great combination of original buildings to explore, including the restored Control Tower and more than forty aircraft exhibits, from early aviation biplanes to our unique Halifax Bomber "Friday The 13th" all the way to modern Cold War military jets such as the Victor, Nimrod and Tornado jet fighters. Our regular Thunder Days are always popular as a great family day out and our NAAFI cafe has a range of snacks, drinks and meals for everyone. Our guides are on hand to help you explore the museum. They are all volunteers and love to read your reviews!
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Visited my husband who is a plane fanatic! It was a gorgeous sunny day, so we enjoyed a leisurely stroll around the grounds. There is a lot to look at, and I'm sure its staffed by mainly volunteers. It is great that people give their time freely to keep such a great piece of history alive. There are plenty of picnic benches, and also a cafe serving reasonably priced food. My husbands favourite plan was on display....The Halifax, so he was very happy! We really enjoyed our visit, and I hope more people visit to keep this attraction going.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"cold war"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is an excellent place to visit. There is a lot to see and a wide range. There are outside planes to look at and a hanger with more planes. There are also a number of buildings with a vast range of displays. The volunteers are ex RAF and very approachable. Would try and avoid a wet day as there is a lot outside and it is all outside going between the exhibits.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a really good day out here. Plenty to see and great the way it has kept the feel of an old airbase. Not just for the aviation enthusiast.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had never heard of the Yorkshire Air Museum so I had a trip to see what it was all about. It definitely reminded me of similar museums I had seen in Australia, with the exhibits shoved in where they could fit. They have some interesting and unique items on view including a Handley Page Halifax bomber which, although being a hybrid, is a great sight to see. They also have on site, a Handley Page Victor cold war bomber and a Nimrod AWACS aircraft. It was the exhibits apart from the aircraft which really interested me including the preserved control tower and several Nissen huts full of airfield history. The NAAFI looked like it has just served the last aircrew breakfast!, Like all the small museums, it is almost entirely run by volunteers who, almost always, are very polite and informative. As a volunteer at Hendon RAF Museum, I really appreciate the efforts of the smaller enterprises and I know the hard work and enthusiasm that goes in to keeping places like the Yorkshire Air Museum going.

Roy Ellison Eaton Bray, Beds.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a fantastic attraction for people of all ages. My husband enjoyed reading all the information about the war and the info about each of the planes and my three year old just loved the big open spaces and looking at the planes. This Sunday we caught two plane start ups (complete with Fireman Sam - for the younger observers) There are planes in a big hanger and also some outside. There are also examples of other military vehicles. When walking around we were quite struck by the age range of people there enjoying themselves. From my three year old to members of 'older generations' everyone seemed to be having a god time. The planes range from replicas of 1920's planes to restored examples of 2nd world war planes plus some modern examples - Harrier's for example. We didn't go to the cafe. As this was our second visit we knew there was plenty of open space and tables for a picnic, however we did have an ice cream from the well stocked and reasonably priced shop. The entrance fee is £8, but under 5's go free. Very well worth it. A great day out