“SUPER DAY OUT”

$463.42*
Castle Howard and Fountains Abbey Private Tour from York
Ranked #15 of 206 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Castle Howard is one of England's finest historic houses, set in a thousand acres of sweeping parkland dotted with statues, temples, lakes and fountains. Inside discover world-renowned collections gathered by succeeding generations of the Howard family. Built over 300 years ago, today it still remains a family home.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Got the 181 bus from York at 11-00 am Cost is £8 return (Operator Stephenson's).Takes an hour about 15 miles. Now the good bit show your ticket @:Castle Howard and you get a whopping £6-50 off admission. Cost falls from £14 to £7-50!!.

Self guided tour of Castle - lots of staff in the rooms dispensing guidance. Lovely grounds with a free "people carrier" to the Castle entrance if you don't want to walk / fancy a short overview of the place. Well maintained gardens and grounds - sweet ducklings in the pond also large fish Koi carp ?.

Nice cafe selling yummy looking chocolate cake for £2 at the entrance and another shop selling Castle Howard produce at very reasonable prices.

Saw a sparrowhawk as we were leaving. Last bus back to York is at 4-50 PM

Easy to spend 4 hours exploring the Castle & grounds.

1  Thank HoneyMonsterontour

Reviewed June 28, 2013

A wonderful day at Castle Howard absorbing the atmosphere of the house and because of the Brideshead association. The gardens are wonderful to explore too. Definitely worth the trip.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I took my elderly mother who has difficulty walking very far to Castle Howard, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the visit. The staff were all extremely helpful. We hired a wheelchair (Free!) and as I was going to be pushing my mother around I did not have to pay to get in. The gardens were lovely and when we got to the house the staff went out of their way to help. They have a stair lift for wheelchair users to take you up to view the rooms, and when I went up another set of stairs that was not accessible for my mother one of the guides stayed with her for the short time I was away. All in all it was a very positive experience.

1  Thank Janet S
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is an amazing place with an amazing history. I would definitely recommend going on one of the free outside tours, they are very informative and great fun. The grounds are beautiful and well worth taking the time to walk around. You do need at least 1 whole day to visit the house and gardens, but I can't recommend a visit highly enough.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived before the main house was opened but there was plenty to see. We spent a good 3-4 hours here and loved it. There is a garden centre, farm shop, rose garden, extensive gardens, wooded area, two lakes one with a boat ride and a children's play area. Not to mention a good number of places to eat at. The gardens were lovely and we spent our time exploring them first. £1 for a 20 minute boat ride on the lake from the boathouse was a bargain. A lived in house with lots to see, many paintings and items of furniture. Well worth the entrance fee and topped off with a lovely scone from the Fitzroy room.