“Great day out!”

$53.68*
Castle Howard, Rievaulx Abbey, and North York Moors Day Trip from York
Ranked #15 of 205 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Castle Howard is one of England's finest historic houses, set in a thousand acres of sweeping parkland dotted with statues, temples, lakes and fountains. Inside discover world-renowned collections gathered by succeeding generations of the Howard family. Built over 300 years ago, today it still remains a family home.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great house, still lived in and used by the family! Little bits of personal stuff around the house! Beautiful looking house full of history! The gardens were also amazing, with avery impressive fountain! Good place for a family day out!

There are newer reviews for Castle Howard

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spent 3 hours walking a round the gardens, and only covered half of them. the house was used for the film Brides head revisited.
And I found it a little disappointing, Compared to some stately homes.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We took a day trip to Castle Howard while visiting York. It took us 25 minutes to get there by car due to some traffic on the way. Additionally, there are 2 one-way gates right outside the Castle, so be careful when driving. We walked the Castle grounds, toured the inside of the house (I would advise visiting on a weekend. Not all of the rooms are open during the week because the family still uses the house). We also took the "Introduction to Castle Howard" tour. I would not recommend this tour, although the guide was humorous, the tour was more about the difficulties of running Castle Howard versus actual information about the building, etc. We enjoyed our visit, make sure to leave enough room to walk around the grounds, they are large and beautiful. Although I would not visit again, I enjoyed my time at Castle Howard.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Visited this week and want to say how impressed from the moment of arrival I was.Dad was not able to walk far but staff suggested little train and wheelchair if needed also stair lift.The day was brilliant so much to see and do and felt like a family home even though so vast! Wonderful guides so informative without doubt best stately house I've been to!

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

A lot of this has already been said in other reviews but I have to agree that at £14 per adult it is great value for money - we spent 6 hours there exploring the gardens, house, woodland walk, having lunch, enjoying afternoon tea at the boathouse cafe - and there is so much to do for both adults and children. The walled garden had the wow factor despite the rain! The boat trip was really relaxing and gave good views of the house (and only £1 fare). I also really enjoyed seeing the house and learning about its history. I'll definitely be returning.