“Extremely helpful hosts - couldn't do enough.”

The Sycamore Guest House
Ranked #100 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Extremely helpful hosts - couldn't do enough.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

We arrived early but our hosts were only too happy to store our bags. In fact, they couldn't do enough for us. They even stored our bags when we checked out as we were catching a late train. The room was adequate, although a bit tight but the bed was very comfortable. It was very quite and for once, was not overheated. It was in an extremely convenient location and we enjoyed our 2 nights there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

After reading all the fab reviews I was very much looking forward to staying at the Sycamore Guest House, but ended up being really disappointed - and checked out after one night instead of the four nights I had originally booked. Yes, the hosts are very nice and friendly, the room was clean and the bed was comfy, but all that didn't help, because of the fact that the walls (at least up there on the top floor) are PAPER THIN! I was in room no. 4 (very tired decor... but okay for four nights, and, as I said, it was very clean, which is much more important, of course) and there was an elderly couple staying in the room next to mine. They weren't noisy at all - just talking normally and watching TV. However, I could hear everything, and it was almost as if they were in the same room with me. My room was an en-suite, but theirs obviously wasn't, as one of them (or both), kept opening and closing doors all the time to go to the loo on the passage. As a result, I didn't get any sleep all night and decided to check out on the following day. I booked a new hotel with my mobile phone during that night and went there early the next morning. I have never done this before and felt a bit guilty towards the hosts, as they were so nice, but it couldn't be helped. The way the landlady dealt with my complaint was very competent and she was very understanding and said she was sorry I didn't like the room, also as apparently nobody had ever complained in the past. Well, then those people were either deaf or there had been single occupants only in the adjoing rooms up until then. Anyhow, if you still decide to stay in room no. 4 (I can't judge the other ones, of course, but I guess room 5 (and maybe room 6) must be the same, as they're all on the same (top) floor), I'd strongly advise you to take VERY good earplugs...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank Britfraggle
derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

on ringing the door bell we were greeted by elizabeth and spiro a great couple
we were taken to the rooms. very clean and tidy .showers nice and hot bed made every day and clean towel if you needed them . next was the breakfast there was everything you think of and that was 5star all in all a great place to stay thanks again derby lads

• Stayed October 2009
Grimsby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

I have stayed at the Sycamore about 10 times in the past 5 years. I find the hosts to be very friendly & helpful. This place is a cosy home from home & have always thoroughly enjoyed myself there. The breakfast is excellent & so is the service. The rooms are clean with traditional decor & lots of character. The location for York City Centre is excellent.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

Our family of 4 stayed for 4 nights. Convenient location is this utterly walkable city. Clean, comfy. Our 2 rooms were on the top floor, and the one w/ the double bed was quite cramped. Kids' room next door was charming under the eaves, w/ a skylight, but would have been very cramped had they been bigger!. Very traditional decor, tons of bric a brac. We had a lovely private bath one flight down, bigger than our NYC apartment bathroom! Had no problem with hot water. The weather was unseasonably chilly, but we were quite comfy under duvets. I imagine the top rooms can be sweltering on hot days. Hosts were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfasts fine, even if we opted to skip the full english most days. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Kava63
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband took ill as we were taking our leave and our hosts at the Sycamore could not have been more kind or helpful. The house itself is very charming, clean, and convenient, but what really stuck out where the lengths these people went to to make our emergency less of an emergency. While I was at the hospital seeing to my husband, they provided our 21 and 18 year old with help packing, gave them money and sightseeing advice (since they were having to wait), called around to the train station to see if we could change our tickets, called around to see who might board us if we needed to stay in town for additional time (the Sycamore was booked); in short, I could not have asked more from friends. I would strongly recommend this B & B for the kindness of its hosts. And the house itself is a cut above most B & B establishments; we stayed in 10 other recommended houses this trip alone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Llanishen, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

my husband and i really enjoyed our stay at the sycamore. i was very surprised to read anything negative about this guest house. the hosts were among the most friendly and helpful we've come across compared to other b&b's. our room was very pretty with traditional interiors in keeping with the building and the historic city. housekeeping was impecable and the breakfast absolutely delicious and fresh. the whole stay was a joy and we're hoping to return soon. thanks sycamore!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple