“Nice hotel, great location! jacuzzi bath did not work!”
Review of Jorvik Hotel

Jorvik Hotel
Ranked #41 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I booked this hotel as a mid week get away, the thing that made me book at the Jorvik was the jacuzzi bath..which unfortunately on arrival did not work, did inform the young man on reception the next morning and his reply was simply 'oh no'. This aside the location is brilliant and serves a good breakfast. All in all yes I would stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014
Jorvikhotel, General Manager at Jorvik Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review and i am sorry to hear that your jacuzzi bath did not work. I will speak to the member of staff from your departure as that is not what i would call an ideal responce. We do have on site maintanance so this could have been resolved with ease.
I am please to hear that you did enjoy the rest of you stay and hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Jorvik soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay bed & breakfast, with my Mum and 2 sisters. Rooms were very clean with lovely white towels and crisp white sheets. Power shower, brilliant and easy to use. Tea and coffee facilities in room which were topped up when room was serviced each day. We had full English breakfast made to order also cereals & selection of fruit to choose from. Delicious.

Straight opposite the park with a 5 minute walk to shops and another 5 mins takes you to York Minster. Great location. What really made our stay at the Jorvik was the staff nothing was to much and they went above and beyond to assist our needs. Will definitely stay

Room Tip: Short flight steep steps to rooms 11& 12.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review and i am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. I will pass on your thanks to the staff. Everyone here works extremely hard and it is always nice when this is recognised and acknowledged.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night bed and breakfast. Room was clean and tidy. Lovely big bed with clean white crisp sheets. Bathroom had jacuzzi bath and powerful shower.
Quick walk to town centre through park. Although has to walk round on an evening as gates ate closed to park.
Breakfast we had full english which was lovely. Staff were polite and smart.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review and i am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here with us. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a really nice room on the 2nd floor with sofa and large tv.Beautiful bathroom all newly fitted with jacuzzi bath. Breakfast cooked to order although the price for a saturday night was £120 and a little steep! Much cheaper to go through th week if you can.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review and i am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Superb location in central York. The room had enough room although the windows let in a lot of street noise. The breakfast was served promptly and the staff helpful. Only propel we had was an almost finished loo roll and no replacement.
Worth a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank s2rmborn

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us and i hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to escape London for a night and thought we had found a nice, romantic place to stay close to the city. We splashed out a bit - at £120 a night the standard double room was not cheap! The photos made it look quite nice, and with a name like Jorvik we expected it to have some character and charm. Unfortunately it was more like a Travelodge - bare furnishings, with very cheap furniture that was chipped, as were the walls, lending a depressing air to our room. I was going to have a bath but they were some things stuck to the bottom of it so I decided not to!
The walls were very thin and we could hear the conversation of the couple next door, which sort of killed the romantic vibe a bit! In the morning we could hear people traipsing past to breakfast so loudly it was quite awkward.
We also had to move the bed when looking for a necklace of mine, and it was honestly filthy (found a pound under there though!). We were quite grossed out. The walls were coated with dust, so much so that we were able to write our names in it!
The only redeeming features were the comfy bed (no mattress protector though - ew!), nice showerhead and the close proximity to the center of town, which I think isn't really good enough. We were looking for somewhere to make our get-away special, and really we should have stayed somewhere else. Breakfast was not included in the over-priced room charge, and to be honest we were happy to go to a nice cafe as we thought we would be disappointed.
We told the man at reception about our concerns about the cleanliness of the room and he said that the airconditioning blew a lot of dust around, but really, how much dust to blow around should there be?! There seems to be much nicer, cleaner and more charming places to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review. If i can address your points in turn.
I have noted your comments about the bath and cleanliness of your bedroom. All bedrooms are cleaned on an daily basis with a deep cleaning rota that runs every five days so that we can ensure that all bedrooms are spotless!! We are very fortunate here to have had the same housekeeping staff for five years and they all work to the highest standards.
I am sorry to hear that you were able to hear the guests staying next door to you. We do ask all guests to be considerateof the neighbours!!
The air conditioning units in some of the rooms again are serviced on a regular basis. They all have filters on them to purify the air that runs through the system. They do not blow dust out due to the filters.
When you check in if it had been mentioned that you were not happy with your accommodation we would have been more than happy to move rooms for you. This would not have been a problem. We would have been more than happy to help.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the Yorvik Hotel just for one night. by myself. The lady I spoke to on the phone and via email ( Sue, the General Manager I think ) was so helpful, and answered all my questions, even sorted out my booking when my friend who was meant to be coming to York with me, pulled out at short notice. The gentleman on reception was really pleasant once I got chatting to him. We had a good conversation about ghosts and haunted buildings. A subject I could talk about for hours. I was informed that as I would be returning late ( 3:30 am ) from the event I was attending, there would be no problem getting access to the hotel as there is 24 hour reception staff although I never saw them as the door was unlocked.
Breakfast was lovely. I could smell the bacon half way down the stairs. It was really tasty, and the coffee was nice as well.
The only downside I found, which is minor so I didn't report it was the digital radio stations on the tv lost all reception so I couldn't have it playing in the background.
The Yorvik Hotel is well situated on Marygate. On a nice day, cross straight over the road and into the park for a relaxing stroll through to the shopping area. If you go left out of the hotel and go to the top of the street, and cross over, you will find a Sainburys, if you need any shopping. Turn right out of the hotel and you will see the river, which again is a nice relaxing walk.
I will definitely look to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing over the front strew get the sun in the morning and become very hot. I found it qui...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank thewrighttimes
Jorvikhotel, General Manager at Jorvik Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Good Afternoon

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I do remember making your reservation for you and i am pleased you liked the room i chose for you.
I hope your host hunt went well and hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.